Cash Passport/Travel Cash Card for Pre Authorisation and Settling On Board Account

aussiecruisers

I have booked my father and his wife on the Rotterdam on the 21 day Baltic Scandanavia Cruise on the Rotterdam leaving from Rotterdam.

They don't hold a Credit Card because their bank talked them into getting a Travel Money Card (mastercard) - Cash Passport Card with different currencies eg Euros and US dollars on it. Its an "Electronic Use Only"

This is heavily marketed here in Australia for travelling abroad.

I am seeking advice whether this Travel Cash Card can be used on the Rotterdam as a "pre authorisation" . If not, can they swipe this card at time of checkin or at the front desk on board and deduct the $60 per person per day that way. Can they also settle their a/c with this same card?

Any advice is appreciated.

https://www.commbank.com.au/content/dam/commbank/personal/apply-online/download-printed-forms/ADB2971_251013_WEB_SAFE.pdf

As nobody has answered for quite a while, I am going to guess, other than Aussies, there isn't much knowledge of these. So, as always, the best thing is to get the answer from HAL direct. Give them a call. You might want to get their answer in writing, and take it with you to the ship.

I've never seen anybody's card being swiped at a check-in desk or ship front desk, so they may not have that capability. If they got cash at the port (Rotterdam) it would be Euros, and HAL would exchange that to $US first, at a markup.

I suggest they get a HAL-Barclay Visa card if they are available in Australia.

Edited by jtl513

Card swipe at check-in.

The check-in desks do have 'swipe' capability. If you want to change cards from that used online you can do so. Did it 3 weeks ago at Fort Lauderdale.

Dennis

Agree. The check in desk definitely has swipe capability. At Port Everglades last month both credit card and passport were swiped.

Agree. The check in desk definitely has swipe capability. At Port Everglades last month both credit card and passport were swiped.

They have card swipe capabilities in all embarkation ports. They need to be able to handle last minute card changes or substitutions. A passenger might just wish to use a different card, or the passenger might have a replacement card brochure their card was lost or stolen.

When I do online check in, I always say I'm going to use cash and then switch to a credit card when I get to the check in port. Never a problem. I'd advise getting a credit card.

Edited by mamaofami

OP, you need to definitely call HAL and ask the question as to whether "The Travel Money - Cash Card" is an acceptable form of payment. HAL faqs only state Debit or Credit Card. The swipe access isn't the question.

You don't want them denied boarding. If they have to get cash from the card somewhere, it's better to know ahead of time.

OP, you need to definitely call HAL and ask the question as to whether "The Travel Money - Cash Card" is an acceptable form of payment. HAL faqs only state Debit or Credit Card. The swipe access isn't the question.

You don't want them denied boarding. If they have to get cash from the card somewhere, it's better to know ahead of time.

If you call HAL and ask the question to three different reps, you will get three different answers and it's possible that none of them will be right.

It is so true that you can get different answers from different people, not only at HAL but at host large corporations.

Two things you might do to ease your way on embarkation day.

1. If you can, use that card to purchase enough onboard credit to cover the hold. Then just specify "cash" on your express docs. When you get to the dock, they might tell you to go by the front office to verify your credit amount.

2. If you can't, or don't want to do #1 - try using the card to purchase something for them under indulgences. If it works for that, there is a better chance it would work when you get to the pier.

As an aside, HAL does not accept prepaid "gift" cards, even if they have a MC / Visa logo, at least they couldn't to pay part of a cruise when I had one about a year ago.

I'm pretty sure an Australian Travel Card is the same as your pre loaded Travel Visa cards that is the subject of a similar thread on this board.

There must be some great commissions in these for the Banks because as soon as you mention that you are going o/s they try to sell you one.

Just take your normal credit card.

As I understand it, the OP's card is a 'Load & Go' type card, I.E. It is a 'Debit Card.

You are using your own money, not a line of credit. Check this with ComBank if you are unsure.

Sent from my tablet thingy!

I.E. It is a 'Debit Card. You are using your own money, not a line of credit. Check this with ComBank if you are unsure.

From the description, it sounds to me more like a Gift Card, which richwmn said HAL does not accept. I would check with HAL, not the selling bank.

Just take your normal credit card.

Just had a friend return from a long cruise on the Eastern Med and when she got her credit card bill - there was a LARGE number of unauthorized charges on it.

She was "swiped" (card number was stolen) while ashore on one of the many excursions that she went on. The credit card company advised her that it would take at least 3 months to get it all cleared up and she will still have to make payments on the balance until they can get it straightened out.

Recommend you look into purchasing a RFID wallet or purse for your parents to carry all cards, id's, passports etc in. It will save a lot of aggravation in the long run.

Hope they have a wonderful trip. We sailed on the Rotterdam 3 1/2 years ago and loved that ship.

Barbara

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - 7 days - September 2009

Alaska - Rotterdam - 7 days - September 2010

Mexican Riviera - Oosterdam - 7 days - April 2011

Alaska - Amsterdam - 14 days - September 2012

Planning Stage: Panama Canal - January 2015 and Boston/Montreal - Fall Colors - September or October 2015

Edited by Okie1946

Thanks for all the replies and concerns...here is my reply from HAL Sydney

Hi Vicki,

Thanks for your email.

Using the cash passports can prove to be quite difficult as we generally have troubles holding authorisations against these. If taking a cash passport card, we recommend that a credit card or cash is taken.

If possible, please use a credit card or cash currency.

Should we be of any further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact our office on 1300 987 322.

Kind regards,

xxxxxxxxxx

Holland America Line

Level 3, 15 Mount Street

North Sydney NSW 2060

Ph: 1300 987 321

Fax: 02 9126 6900

E: General.Enquiries@hollandamerica.com.au

W: www.hollandamerica.com

download?mid=2%5f0%5f0%5f1%5f1844305%5fAE9UimIAAA8IUzJSwQAAAH7uGZs&pid=2&fid=Inbox&inline=1&appid=yahoomail

The travel card is neither a debit card nor a credit card, but a pre loaded currency card. HAL will not be able to put a hold on the card as it would for a credit card. There is the possibility that the pax would give the card details to Hal then blow the currency that is saved on the card on daiquiris, fat frogs or even a tube or two of the amber nectar. :D (joke!).(but serious!).

I believe you can put cash against the account, but that would mean over usd 2400. A credit card really seems the best even if it only ever used to let Hal take the authorisation for the 60 per day. Then pay cash into the account during the cruise. Settle up on the last night, then cancel the credit card.

The reply from HAL states "If possible, please use a credit card or cash currency" - so tell your Dad to bring a credit card or the appropriate amount of cash he will need for the duration. I think credit cards are much easier.

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)