What if I don't like some of the food?

My Grandson started cruising when he was four. He would see something on our plate and want to try it. We moved to the adult menu and became very willing to try new things. He had his first escargot and duck on a cruise and both are still favorites. He is now twenty and still loves trying new dishes in different countries. On the ship, we usually ask the waiter what he recommends on the menu. They know so much about the menu items that we usually follow his recommendations. On our last cruise, our waiter was flawless in his recommendations. Everyone that followed his advice loved their dishes. When one of us veered away from his recommendations we had to admit we regretted not going with his suggestion. He saw that my Grandson was finishing his dishes quickly and suddenly a 2nd entree would appear. If we seemed indecisive about a dessert, he was our go-to guy. Sometimes he would suggest we should get both. The waitstaff work very hard and are extremely good at pleasing the guests, but we seldom ask them to leave off sauces or to change the side dishes. I do know that this takes more time and is more difficult for them...not that they will ever tell you.

My Grandson started cruising when he was four. He would see something on our plate and want to try it. We moved to the adult menu and became very willing to try new things. He had his first escargot and duck on a cruise and both are still favorites.

Same here for DS.

When we would go out to dinner, no hamburgers or hot dogs or chicken for him. Shrimp le John, escargot, calamari, lobster$$$$$ etc.:eek:

If you don't like your dinner , speak up and ASK for something else. The cruise lines want you to be happy.

I always if available get 2 shrimp cocktails, and years past have ordered whatever steak was available along with my other entree.

Just wish it wasn't 2 complete meals that were served.

If you don't like your dinner , speak up and ASK for something else. The cruise lines want you to be happy.

I always if available get 2 shrimp cocktails, and years past have ordered whatever steak was available along with my other entree.

Just wish it wasn't 2 complete meals that were served.

Agreed!!! I'm VERY picky on food since I have acid reflux and I absolutely hate seafood (no offense against seafood lovers out there! :o ) but when I was on both cruises in the past - I had no problem finding something that I liked.

Just like what beerman2 said - wish it wasn't 2 complete meals that were served... I'd like to have a small serving so I can still enjoy other food!

At the beginning of the meal, when the waiter says, "The Chef recommends..." I always ask what the waiter's own recommendation is. Mostly, they are right on!

I agree, the waiter's advice is generally a good thing. They want you to be happy.

My DH is a picky eater. I told him he had to try one new thing on every cruise. If he didn't like it fine. At least he tried something. On one of our cruises I convinced him to try shrimp cocktail. He likes shrimp but never tried shrimp cocktail. Now he loves shrimp cocktail and he will get it almost every evening that it is available. Sometimes people have to venture out and try something new. On our next cruise I will be getting lamb shank. I convinced him to try mine. You never know he might like it. Sometimes people think they don't like something, but have never tried it. How can you not like something if you never tried it.

My DH is a picky eater. I told him he had to try one new thing on every cruise. If he didn't like it fine. At least he tried something. On one of our cruises I convinced him to try shrimp cocktail. He likes shrimp but never tried shrimp cocktail. Now he loves shrimp cocktail and he will get it almost every evening that it is available. Sometimes people have to venture out and try something new. On our next cruise I will be getting lamb shank. I convinced him to try mine. You never know he might like it. Sometimes people think they don't like something, but have never tried it. How can you not like something if you never tried it.

A cruise is perfect for trying new things. I usually order two appetizers and two main entrees.

Edited by LA_CA_GAL

The lamb shank is by far one of the best meals ive had on a cruise ship :) Great choice! I also liked the duck as well. Two meals I had never tried before my Freedom of the Seas cruise.

On our past two cruises, our waiter would bring out extra entrees for people at our table to "try for next time". To me, it's probably a way of unloading extras of the dishes that were unpopular that night. Some of them were quite good, however I probably wouldn't remember by next cruise anyway.

My experience is that the waiters will do what ever they can to please us. After all, their tips depend on us being happy with the meals and service.

I learned from a table mate years ago what this really means.

He asked the waiter on the first night for the following for the remaining nights on our cruise and we got them!

- Shrimp Cocktail

- Fruit Tray

- Cheese Tray

- Bowl of Fresh Rolls

My experience is that the waiters will do what ever they can to please us. After all, their tips depend on us being happy with the meals and service.

I learned from a table mate years ago what this really means.

He asked the waiter on the first night for the following for the remaining nights on our cruise and we got them!

- Shrimp Cocktail

- Fruit Tray

- Cheese Tray

- Bowl of Fresh Rolls

On one of my early cruises, I remarked on the first night how delicious the key lime pie was and how much I had enjoyed it. I got a second piece that evening, and although I did not ask for it, our table had a whole key lime pie delivered for dessert every evening after that, in addition to the desserts on the menu for the evening!

The lamb shank is by far one of the best meals ive had on a cruise ship :) Great choice! I also liked the duck as well. Two meals I had never tried before my Freedom of the Seas cruise.

I so agree. I think the lamb shank is one of the best anywhere:)

I talked some friends into trying it when on the Mariner TA even though they said they didn't like lamb.

Made believers out of them. To this day they still mention the great lamb shanks:D