2015 Poor choice from Southampton

Fixit2010

I have just seen the 2015 brochure.

Am I the only one not pleased about the lack of choice of cruises sailing from Southampton ?

"Celebrity ! what are you doing? It is disgraceful". I don't want to fly cruise.

The whole point of sailing from Southampton is to avoid the hassle of airports and limited luggage.

I hope the Brits do complain and make their feelings felt.

Am I the only one not pleased about the lack of choice of cruises

One less ship in UK as well.

We really are the poor relations!:eek:

Hi,

Perhaps due to the large amount of competition ? Just looking at the summer of 2015...it appears there are almost 15 different ships sailing some sort of itinerary out of Southampton.

Hope you find something to your liking though !! As chelseauk stated...looks like you might have to cruise with someone else ?

Enjoy

Woody

Edited by rwr235

I was very happy to see Barcelona roundtrip with three overnights!! I am glad they started more overnights like Azamara!!I still have to fly from Ca. which is not fun but that's part of traveling!! :)

Am I the only one not pleased about the lack of choice of cruises sailing from Southampton ?

"Celebrity ! what are you doing? It is disgraceful". I don't want to fly cruise.

The whole point of sailing from Southampton is to avoid the hassle of airports and limited luggage.

That is a good port for you, but those of us who fly in to Heathrow get taxed way too much. The outgoing has a lux tax. It is so expensive that my DH will not return to Southampton again. It is also a ways to the airport. Sorry, but this is how my DH and I feel. It costs us a fortune because of the pound.:eek: However, i don't know why Celebrity chose to do this, but maybe it is too expensive!

Edited by Lastdance

It is a good port for us, but I have flown to Miami and cruised from FL. I have done the cruise from the USA... an away game as it were but X should balance it out too with home sailings.

I don't want to cruise with another "lesser" line. I like my 5 star cruises. Cunard is a little too formal and RCI is a little too informal. Celebrity has that slightly more upmarket feel.

Bring back the Med cruise to Southampton

I like the sea days. But its the "chuck what you like in the car and drive to the port" factor makes it so much better. You drive, the handlers take you cases and you board. Your holiday starts.

No getting to an airport, waiting, checking in, waiting, oh limited luggage, flying, baggage collection and immigration, transfers to the ship and then doing it all in reverse again coming home. What a waste of 2 days, lost on travel.

Never mind, let's hope they start going from Liverpool, such a lovely port, with lots to see and do, there is not much to do in Southampton, I was very dissapointed when I sailed from there, I. Had booked a 2 night stay before we cruised, but was so dissapointed, there wad nothing to do

I too am disappointed by choice next summer but Poe17 is correct sailing from Liverpool would be far better particularly for those flying in from abroad. In Liverpool there is a great deal to see and do and excellent shops. There are many interesting places to visit within a two hour drive, the Lake District, York and Snowdonia ( North Wales,Castles etc) to name a few. Filling a couple of days before a sailing would be very easy.

However, I think the main reason there are no Med. sailings is the placement of the new RCCL mega ship, I think it's called Anthem of the seas. I get about 3 emails a week about this ship. Unfortunately we have to travel in school hols so are very unlikely to book due to the amount of families it will attract.

From a personal point of view, we stay in Scotland and either face a 10 hr drive or we have to fly anyway.

We might as well fly to the Med as Southampton and it is cheaper to do so.

I do agree with you about the X obsession with Norway / Baltics.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

From a personal point of view, we stay in Scotland and either face a 10 hr drive or we have to fly anyway.

We might as well fly to the Med as Southampton and it is cheaper to do so.

I do agree with you about the X obsession with Norway / Baltics.

We are doing a Baltic from Southampton in June and have paid £60 for an extra case on the flights.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And looking at the British Isles cruise. Why does it start from Amsterdam? What a daft idea. If it started and finished from Southampton (or Liverpool) it would make life so much easier again with no flying.

I feel that Celebrity is leaving us Brits with the rubbish that is left on the shelf after everyone else has had their pickings

Edited by Fixit2010

We too were very disappointed with the choice of destinations from the Uk as we no longer fly. We had hoped there may be a cruise to Venice as there has been in the past and a change of ship.

We were very tempted to change to another company but have booked to go to Russia and Scandinavia as it includes a couple of new ports. The main reason in booking is the new suite class and the benefits of Elite status. We would have to pay too much to get the same benefits with, say, Cunard and wanted something special for our 40th wedding anniversary apart from a medal for endurance!

Celebrity you really do need to do better.

Sailing from Southampton is a waste of 4 days of the holiday, and the Bay of Biscay, say no more. Much prefer to sail from a Med port - far more enjoyable.

I agree!! our worst Med cruise sailed from Southampton. Crossing the Bay of Biscay was an unpleasant experience. To us, the best way to cruise the Med is sailing from a Med port. ;)

And looking at the British Isles cruise. Why does it start from Amsterdam? What a daft idea. If it started and finished from Southampton (or Liverpool) it would make life so much easier again with no flying.

unless of course you live in Amsterdam.:)

Back to the point , it would hard to get 6000 people ( 2 ships) a week that wants to sail out the UK on a Celebrity ship week after week

I recently purchased some RCII stock, and have been reading their annual reports carefully.

Fun fact: Passengers on RCII ships are 52% American 48% all other nationalities combined.

I do think the huge UK tax on airline tickets makes other ports like Amsterdam far simpler for international passengers sailing.

Not sure about the rest of the world but in the UK a large percentage, if not the majority of people take their annual holiday around July and August.

As a tiny island we have a limited selection of ports and Southampton, has been a good choice. Its not like Brits have to cross vast expanses to get to the port.

By cutting our choice of cruses, dates and availability, we are getting the short end of the stick.

Even if I had to sail from Liverpool, it would be preferable to fly cruises.

Sailing out of Amsterdam will bring in more Europeans who do not want to fly which would be a bigger market

Totally! Economics rules and as a shareholder so it should. Last year they had to heavily discount to get near a reasonable occupancy on the ex UK sailings so why not move to a better captive market.

Done Eclipse out of Southampton twice but I am in NO hurry to repeat the experience. 10 hour plus drive through some of the UKs worst traffic jam spots, then at least one day at the beginning and end when the good old British moaners complain about the weather.

Give me a two - three hour flight and South Europe embarkation any time - packing and being organised to get to a flight on time is not that difficult.

Fixit - I would not waste time on a petition - if you look at the community guideline it's not allowed and why should Celebrity change from a published schedule now. I suggest you express your thoughts to CelebrityUK in writing and if they are besieged by similar letters I am sure they will react for 2016 if it makes economic sense.