Pre purchasing Drink packages

I'm now getting daily e mails from Royal, encouraging me to purchase my drink packages prior to sailing. Is there any advantage to doing so? The prices are the same after you board. The only difference that I can see is that the charges will appear on my credit card sooner rather than later. Am I missing something?

The major difference to me in pre-purchasing is that you do not have to deal with any crowds or lines trying to buy it on the ship and as soon as you board you can just walk up to a bar and get a drink if you desire. The main advantage to buying the package aboard the ship is you can have any on board credit that you might have towards the price.

On our last cruise I purchased a drink package a month ahead of time. The soda part of the package was embossed on the seapass but the parts of the package beyond soda were designated by a stick on decal.

Unfortunately, pre-purchasing the packages does not stop the emails :mad: Purchased them for my wife and I about 6-weeks ago for a cruise in 3-weeks and am still getting the email blasts about once a week. Like others, I just wanted it done and paid before the cruise.

The thing I thought was funny, was that not only had I bought it already, but they sent me an e-mail yesterday (about pre-purchasing the program) for a cruise that leaves tomorrow. You can't buy anything once you get to the "4 day out" point, which makes that e-mail even crazier.

In Tampa they sell them at the port terminal.

I'm in the "don't pay for it until you have to" crowd. As long as it doesn't cost me anything to pay later, I prefer to keep my money in my own accounts as long as possible.

I purchased the premium drink pkg for me (DH doesn't drink enough to warrant his own pkg) and the 8 bottle water package about 3 weeks before our cruise. My sea/pass had the same sticker on it that those who purchased the pkg on board.

It's a no brainer for future cruises. Our last 7 day cruise in 2009 left us with a 1,000+ bill. For this Freedom cruise, we had a $100 obc from a NCC and a mysterious $100 additional obc. We had trouble spending the $200 obc. It covered my DH's 6 beers/drinks, an umbrella and floating mat at CocoCay, and then bought some photos and several tee-shirts to use it up (it was non-refundable).

Anyway, our sea/pass balance at the end of the cruise was $.20. :eek: I guess my point is, I believe the pkg saved us a bunch and never thought twice about ordering a drink.

As for the mysterious obc, I called C & A (after the fact of course) to try to find out where it came from. The rep couldn't tell me so I'm going to just pretend it was a gift from RCCL. ;)

Cathy

I'm now getting daily e mails from Royal, encouraging me to purchase my drink packages prior to sailing. Is there any advantage to doing so? The prices are the same after you board. The only difference that I can see is that the charges will appear on my credit card sooner rather than later. Am I missing something?

The advantage? The advantage is for the cruise line - they have parted you and your money. That money is now in their bank account working for them, instead of working for you.

The advantage? The advantage is for the cruise line - they have parted you and your money. That money is now in their bank account working for them, instead of working for you.

And the cruise line doesn't have to risk that you will have second thoughts and decide not to purchase the package once you board.

We bought on board on our last cruise but planning to buy ahead of sailing this time. Mainly so that we know it is done and then we don't have to worry about it, plus being able to get a drink straight away with out having to organise it on board is a positive.

I agree with the OP about it is also just fun arranging bits and pieces as part of getting ready to cruise :D

I am not fussed about RC having the £48 or so for my particular drinks package, it's not really going to work that hard for me in the mean time! However if it was a longer cruise and a more expensive package, I may consider paying as close to the sail away date as possible!

Lastly, if any one is considering the soda only package, I think you can only pre order it before the cruise, I think you are not able to get the soda only package onboard, the cheapest package on offer onboard is the Replenish (with tea, coffee, OJ, non-alcoholic cocktails...etc) which is a big step up from the soda only package. May have changed since I last heard though... :confused:

The only issue with purchasing the soda package ahead of the cruise is the delay in getting the tumbler. If you buy on board, they will hand you the tumbler. If you buy beforehand, you won't get the tumbler until it's delivered to the room, sometimes not until late afternoon.

Not a big deal to me, really, as I never even unwrapped mine last cruise. But my DD really wanted to try out the machines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The only issue with purchasing the soda package ahead of the cruise is the delay in getting the tumbler. If you buy on board, they will hand you the tumbler. If you buy beforehand, you won't get the tumbler until it's delivered to the room, sometimes not until late afternoon.

Not a big deal to me, really, as I never even unwrapped mine last cruise. But my DD really wanted to try out the machines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On Allure it was already in the cabin when we walked in with a printed sheet detailing the package.

If I want until I'm on board can I use the OBC I have? We have $550.00 of OBC for this cruise so thought maybe I'd wait. Another question what happens if we have left over money at the end of our trip? $500.00 was a gift for my friend for my birthday.

There is no price advantage to purchasing ahead. If you have OBC to use, then you must wait until you are ONBOARD to use your ONBOARD credit.

And, by waiting, you don't HAVE to purchase on the 1st day....you can wait until you decide...they will pro-rate the prices as long as there are 4 days left in the cruise.

As far as left-over OBC....tips will take up a goodly portion...and anything else you charge onboard will go against the "credit"....if it's refundable (given by a TA or your credit card points, or a friend gifted it, etc....) you will get the balance refunded. If it was part of a promotion or cost change by RCI, it's likely unrefundable....and you had better spend it or lose it!

Edited by cb at sea

We bought on board on our last cruise but planning to buy ahead of sailing this time. Mainly so that we know it is done and then we don't have to worry about it, plus being able to get a drink straight away with out having to organise it on board is a positive.

I agree with the OP about it is also just fun arranging bits and pieces as part of getting ready to cruise :D

I am not fussed about RC having the £48 or so for my particular drinks package, it's not really going to work that hard for me in the mean time! However if it was a longer cruise and a more expensive package, I may consider paying as close to the sail away date as possible!

Lastly, if any one is considering the soda only package, I think you can only pre order it before the cruise, I think you are not able to get the soda only package onboard, the cheapest package on offer onboard is the Replenish (with tea, coffee, OJ, non-alcoholic cocktails...etc) which is a big step up from the soda only package. May have changed since I last heard though... :confused:

True that it may only be 48 pounds (sorry, but I can't get the British Sterling Pound symbol on this ChromeBook), for you, but if they have let's say, 1000 pax per week prepay, that's 48,000 pounds that they're making money on. That was my intention of posting. If you book the package 2 months in advance of your cruise, then RCI can be using the said 48,000 quid for 60 days earning interest, whereas you have lost the potential to make any gains on your money.