Spending a Day on St. John

Host Anne

Does anyone know approx how long the island tour by the safari vans take before you get dropped off at Trunk or Cinnamon? If I take the RC trip on your own, it is only a 6.5 hr. trip. Just wondering how much time the tour takes so I know how much time we will have on the beach. I really love to snorkel. Thanks

Does anyone know approx how long the island tour by the safari vans take before you get dropped off at Trunk or Cinnamon? If I take the RC trip on your own' date=' it is only a 6.5 hr. trip. Just wondering how much time the tour takes so I know how much time we will have on the beach. I really love to snorkel. Thanks[/quote']

Our first visit to STJ we took the ship excursion and my sister took the tour and we went directly to the beach. She enjoyed the tour but didn't have time to enjoy the beach., and we enjoyed the beach but didn't have time to see the island or Cruz Bay.

With your 10 hrs in port I'd suggest going on you own rather than with the excursion. You would have the flexibility to go and return when you want rather than be tied to a fixed schedule with a large group. You also eliminate the queue at the beginning.

That would allow you to not only take the island tour AND have more time at the beach, bur ALSO have some time to lunch and shop in Cruz Bay before boarding the return ferry. Cruz has some nice shops and is a much more enjoyable shopping experience than Charlotte Amalie.

The self-excursion is very popular because it's so easy,. Just hop a taxi going to the Red Hook ferry terminal and it's a 15 - 20 minute ferry as compared to the 45 minute ferry through the ship. The latter is also a rougher ride if the seas are up.

You will take either the 9AM or 10AM ferry over, and will want to take the 4PM return giving you at least 5.5 hrs on STJ.

It is nice to have such an easy self-excursion choice. You'll likely dock at Havensight and it's a $10pp, 20 - 25 min taxi and $7pp 15 - 20 min ferry each way so will cost about $34pp round trip. The island tour is about $25pp last I knew.

But that way you see some of St Thomas as well. If the weather is good try to get a seat on the top deck of the ferry.

Map of STT showing Havensight and Red Hook -

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

You can find STJ maps at Vinod dot com.

Edited by blue_water

Hi, I had every intention of using your plans from this thread to go to St. John's when we are there in Feb. 2015. We are scheduled to be there from 8 AM to 6 PM so I figured this would be plenty of time. I just learned that we may not be docked but have to tender in. Can you please advise, if this is the case and do you feel this is enough time to still make the trip?

Hi, I had every intention of using your plans from this thread to go to St. John's when we are there in Feb. 2015. We are scheduled to be there from 8 AM to 6 PM so I figured this would be plenty of time. I just learned that we may not be docked but have to tender in. Can you please advise, if this is the case and do you feel this is enough time to still make the trip?

I think you will be fine, you'd still have more time and freedom than with the ship excursion. And the beauty of the self-excursion is you can choose what you want to do at that moment. The port situation is also often subject to change but I wouldn't be too concerned. You'll also meet several others on the taxi and the Red Hook ferry who take this self excursion often.

I think you will be fine, you'd still have more time and freedom than with the ship excursion. And the beauty of the self-excursion is you can choose what you want to do at that moment. The port situation is also often subject to change but I wouldn't be too concerned. You'll also meet several others on the taxi and the Red Hook ferry who take this self excursion often.

Thanks so much...This makes me feel better. I've been to St. Thomas so often but never with enough time to comfortably do St. John's on my own and this time with 10 hrs. I figured it would be the perfect opportunity...especially with all of the great directions here on this thread. Thanks Again!! :)

• 2 months later...

We are in port from 8-6, and I am planning on going to St. Johns on my own. I'm wondering if it would make sense to have the taxi driver take us to Trunk first and later in the day would a taxi driver from Trunk do the island tour? I was thinking that way we would be a Trunk early before it gets crowded. Would it be attempting too much to go to Trunk first, then after a couple hours go to Cinnamon by cab, and still have time to do an island tour? Which has the best snorkeling?

Should we leave on the 3pm ferry back or could we stay until the 4pm ferry. I certainly don't want to miss our cruise boat as there are 5 of us and one is 72 so we can't be running at the ship!

Thanks, Mary

We are in port from 8-6' date=' and I am planning on going to St. Johns on my own. I'm wondering if it would make sense to have the taxi driver take us to Trunk first and later in the day would a taxi driver from Trunk do the island tour? I was thinking that way we would be a Trunk early before it gets crowded. Would it be attempting too much to go to Trunk first, then after a couple hours go to Cinnamon by cab, and still have time to do an island tour? Which has the best snorkeling?

Should we leave on the 3pm ferry back or could we stay until the 4pm ferry. I certainly don't want to miss our cruise boat as there are 5 of us and one is 72 so we can't be running at the ship!

Thanks, Mary[/quote']

Yes, I would absolutely go to Trunk first. We were among the first there last year and it was like a private paradise. As the morning progressed, it got significantly more crowded.

I would take the 3pm ferry back. If you leave at 6, the all-aboard will be 5:30pm and remember you are not just taking a ferry from St. John back to St. Thomas, you then need to take a taxi back to the port, which will probably take 20-25 minutes. Taking the 4pm ferry would be cutting it far too close if anything at all went wrong.

We are in port from 8-6' date=' and I am planning on going to St. Johns on my own. I'm wondering if it would make sense to have the taxi driver take us to Trunk first and later in the day would a taxi driver from Trunk do the island tour? I was thinking that way we would be a Trunk early before it gets crowded. Would it be attempting too much to go to Trunk first, then after a couple hours go to Cinnamon by cab, and still have time to do an island tour? Which has the best snorkeling?

Thanks, Mary[/quote']

Mary ~ I agree with Luna that going to Trunk early is a good idea. If you dock at 8:00, be ready to depart immediately so you can make a 9:00 AM ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay. That way you can be at Trunk by 9:45. I also agree that you are probably going to want to take the 3:00 PM ferry back to St. Thomas (you could take the 4:00 PM ferry but I feel more comfortable allowing a little extra time). You didn't say when you are going. Winter is the busiest time. If you are going late Spring/summer when there are fewer ships in port, taking the 4:00 PM is possible but I'd

still probably take the 3:00.

It would be tough to do Trunk, Cinnamon and an island tour in one short day. I'd suggest picking one beach and an island tour. You'll be more relaxed and likely enjoy it more. I love both beaches. Snorkeling can be good at either. Depends on weather, sunshine, how good a snorkeler you are.

Make arrangements with your taxi driver to pick you up at the beach at a certain time and tell him you'd like to take an island tour after the beach. They'll come back for you.

ENJOY!

Assuming you are at anchorage on Wed Feb 4 (very busy weekday as usual with 6 - 7 ships in port) it will be difficult to make the 9AM ferry but do try. If not you'll have the 10AM and will have 4 hours on STJ.

Trunk will definitely be crowded when you arrive so you may want to consider Cinnamon for that reason. You'll get a short tour on the way so leave the island tour for your next visit perhaps.

Have a great day!:)

Edited by blue_water
Correct month

You'll enjoy your day I'm sure, most of the crowds will be at Magens and Coki and shopping downtown so no worries, and the taxi and ferry are part of the adventure! Whatever ferry you take you'll want to try and get in line early so you can get a seat on the top deck if the weather is nice. :)

You'll enjoy your day I'm sure, most of the crowds will be at Magens and Coki and shopping downtown so no worries, and the taxi and ferry are part of the adventure! Whatever ferry you take you'll want to try and get in line early so you can get a seat on the top deck if the weather is nice.

Can you please tell me, since we are tendering if there is a different route we will need to take to get to the ferry since we will more than likely end up closer to town?

We are looking at the route to get from the ship to St. John as part of the adventure and no doubt will have a great time...mostly because of all the great advice we got right here on C.C...Thanks so much!!:)

Since we don't taxi from port to the East End someone else can probably help with that question. Here's a map if you haven't seen one - you'll take one of the 2 main routes to Red Hook no matter where you dock/anchor.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/st-thomas/maps/st-thomas-island-road-map.html

Mary ~ I agree with Luna that going to Trunk early is a good idea. If you dock at 8:00, be ready to depart immediately so you can make a 9:00 AM ferry from Red Hook to Cruz Bay. That way you can be at Trunk by 9:45. I also agree that you are probably going to want to take the 3:00 PM ferry back to St. Thomas (you could take the 4:00 PM ferry but I feel more comfortable allowing a little extra time). You didn't say when you are going. Winter is the busiest time. If you are going late Spring/summer when there are fewer ships in port, taking the 4:00 PM is possible but I'd

still probably take the 3:00.

It would be tough to do Trunk, Cinnamon and an island tour in one short day. I'd suggest picking one beach and an island tour. You'll be more relaxed and likely enjoy it more. I love both beaches. Snorkeling can be good at either. Depends on weather, sunshine, how good a snorkeler you are.

Make arrangements with your taxi driver to pick you up at the beach at a certain time and tell him you'd like to take an island tour after the beach. They'll come back for you.

ENJOY!

Thanks for all the suggestions and directions! We will be there on Sun Jan 25, 3 ships in port. I will still take the 3pm ferry back so avoid stress. Can you tell me which beach Trunk or Cinnamon will be best for an inexperienced snorkeler? My sister has snorkeled, but isn't a strong swimmer. I would like to go to the easiest beach for her to snorkel and hopefully see something .

Thanks again for all the suggestions from all on CC!

Thanks for all the suggestions and directions! We will be there on Sun Jan 25' date=' 3 ships in port. I will still take the 3pm ferry back so avoid stress. Can you tell me which beach Trunk or Cinnamon will be best for an inexperienced snorkeler? My sister has snorkeled, but isn't a strong swimmer. I would like to go to the easiest beach for her to snorkel and hopefully see something .

Thanks again for all the suggestions from all on CC![/quote']

Trunk is awesome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

Trunk is generally calmer and an easier snorkel than Cinnamon. You'll see fish at Trunk.

We have been to Trunk and it is excellent. We will be there via Allure next month and am considering Cinnamon Bay since it seems to have some shade. My husband has to have shade. Can you rent snorkeling gear there also?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We went to St John on our own following the advice on this thread. We had a nice time, but the day was quite rainy. We didn't stay as late as originally planned because of this. It took us 90 minutes each way from ship to beach and from beach to ship. This was with timing/showing up about 10 minutes before each ferry. The ferry on the way back ( a Tuesday ) was packed with tourists and luggage leaving the island. I would definitely recommend that you choose the ferry time that gets you back earlier than needed. It would be super stressful to cut it close with no time for "something to go wrong". Trunk Bay had shade trees and we were glad we had them when the rain poured down. I didn't snorkel this day but my husband did. He said the snorkeling was "eh" and that the beach snorkeling in St Lucia was better.

Edited by Athankfulheart

We went to St John on our own following the advice on this thread. We had a nice time, but the day was quite rainy. We didn't stay as late as originally planned because of this. It took us 90 minutes each way from ship to beach and from beach to ship. This was with timing/showing up about 10 minutes before each ferry. The ferry on the way back ( a Tuesday ) was packed with tourists and luggage leaving the island. I would definitely recommend that you choose the ferry time that gets you back earlier than needed. It would be super stressful to cut it close with no time for "something to go wrong". Trunk Bay had shade trees and we were glad we had them when the rain poured down. I didn't snorkel this day but my husband did. He said the snorkeling was "eh" and that the beach snorkeling in St Lucia was better.

Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Forums