Spending a Day on St. John

Host Anne

belmat ~ I have been doing the visit to St. John on my own for too long now. I wouldn't use a tour company to do this. The only time I even consider a tour-type excursion is when we port in Crown Bay and getting to the Red Hook ferry quickly can be a challenge...then we use the ship sponsored ferry.

You may have better luck asking your question about the St. Thomas tour company by starting a new thread to ask specifically about the tour company you are looking at.

You can save at least $25 by visiting St. John on your own or if you aren't comfortable with that, using your cruise line's excursion to St. John. The excursion I'm using through Royal Caribbean next month is just $44 per person.

ENJOY whatever you decide to do!

Hi! Everybody!

Sorry, maybe you guys already talked about it, but it's a long 11 pages tread to go trought! :eek:

Does anyone of you use the St-Thomas tour compagny to do a St-John tour? :confused:

http://www.stthomastour.com/

Never been to St-John and so would like an island tour with some time at beach.

Some friend of mine recommended St-Thomas tour, but any input would be appraciated!

Thanks!

belmat87 a popular option is going on your own via the common safari-type taxi to the Red Hook ferry terminal and taking the 15 min ferry to Cruz Bay, STJ. The cost is about $34pp roundtrip from Havensight, a little more from Crown Bay. Once there you'll find several taxis lined-up waiting to take folks to the beaches for another $7 - 8pp each way. These taxis also offer mini island tours before dropping you at the beaches and that is an excellent way to experience STJ without the need for pre-planning or booking a tour. The island tour added another $25pp last I knew, and that would include drop-off at a beach so no need to pay for the taxi there, just back to the ferry. The total cost would be somewhere in the area of $67pp, and the journey there is a nice part of the experience and very easy to do on your own. Just give yourself a couple hours to get from Red Hook back to the ship and no worries! :)

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...

I need some advice please. This is our first time to St Thomas/St John. I had decided for sure that we would go to St John on our own. We will be on the Holland America Westerdam on 12/16. But now i realized that we will be docked at Crown Bay which is further away from Red Hook. We are in port from 8-5. Would we be able to make the 9am ferry and would we need to catch the 2pm ferry to return? would that give us enough time to go to st john or should we try a beach on st thomas like lindquist? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help

cutbham ~ if you can disembark immediately upon arrival and there are others heading to Red Hook so a taxi fills quickly, you might be able to make the 9:00 AM ferry. You could take the 3:00 PM ferry back (arrives back on St. Thomas about 3:15) and be back at the ship by 4:00 (even with some traffic). If it were me, I'd try to make it to St. John depending upon the time you can depart the ship.

You could play it by ear. If you can get off quickly and be in a taxi heading to Red Hook by 8:30, I'd go for it.

ENJOY whatever you end up doing! I'll be there next Tuesday! Can't wait!!!!

I need some advice please. This is our first time to St Thomas/St John. I had decided for sure that we would go to St John on our own. We will be on the Holland America Westerdam on 12/16. But now i realized that we will be docked at Crown Bay which is further away from Red Hook. We are in port from 8-5. Would we be able to make the 9am ferry and would we need to catch the 2pm ferry to return? would that give us enough time to go to st john or should we try a beach on st thomas like lindquist? Thanks in advance for your suggestions and help

Yes agree, you should easily make the 9AM ferry but if it's the 10AM then still good, you'll have a nice 4 hrs on STJ with the 3PM ferry return.

The question of whether to try STJ or go to Lindqvist is a good one and a challenging one - we prefer the East End of STT and Lindqvist is one of the most gorgeous beaches we've enjoyed so we're biased that way. But yes you can decide when you arrive in red Hook as both Sapphire and Lindqvist are a short taxi away. The ferry and taxi to Cinnamon or another beach adds another 1.5 - 2 hrs of travel time depending on your timing, but that's a nice part of the day too - tough call - Enjoy your day!

Hello, my husband and I will be going on our very first cruise in November on the Celebrity Equinox. I am thinking that the trip to St Johns sounds like something we would enjoy. I cannot figure out how to find out if our ship will be docking in Havensight or Crown Bay. I was hoping someone could tell me where that information would be. I found a website that showed me that there will be 2 other ships in port that day but it did not indicate which port we will be docking at. Thanks!

Cindy

• 2 months later...

This may have been asked but i didn't read through all 13+ pages on this thread. I am prone to seasickness on small boats so I'm wondering if anyone has anything to add regarding the ferry to St. John. Is it in large open water where it can be rough? I really want to go to St. John but have had bad experiences before on smaller boats (catamarans, on snorkeling excursions mainly).

Any help is appreciated!

PCJMOM

• 2 weeks later...
... I am prone to seasickness on small boats so I'm wondering if anyone has anything to add regarding the ferry to St. John. Is it in large open water where it can be rough?

It can be rough crossing over. Lots of splashing and wave thumping the hull, but not rock-n-rolling that made anyone sick. Going over in the morning was rougher than the afternoon return trip. Just take a pill, or whatever works for you, and be prepared to enjoy a wonderful time on St. John.

PCJmom ~

There are two ferries that run from St. Thomas to St. John. The Charlotte Amalie ferry is typically rough to very rough and runs on an inconsistent schedule. I wouldn't recommend cruise passengers to take this ferry.

The other ferry runs form Red Hook, St. Thomas to Cruz Bay, St. John. There are new high speed ferries that we've been on. Our ride to St. John was bumpy; the return ride smooth. But the great thing on the new ferries is that the ride is just 15 minutes. You can have a smooth or rough ride between Red Hook and Cruz Bay any day of the week. It depends on so many different things.

Have you tried Sea Bands? They are elastic wrist bands that have a pressure point button. They help a lot of people. I've never seen anyone ill on the Red Hook ferry. But if you are truly concerned, try the Sea Bands or ginger.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question for those who have done the RCCL Self Explore to St John. I am considering it for Liberty of the Seas in November. We will be there from 8 to 5 and there are projected to be three ships with 10,000 passengers in St. Thomas that day. A lot of the reviews are stating that they not actually get the 4.5 hours on the island. What has been your experience? I do not want to cut myself short of time!

Edited by 9876

Thanks everyone. I'll look into the Seabands and also the fast ferry ;)

PCJ Mom

Don't ask about a "fast ferry". You will be directed to a ferry going to Tortola. The Red Hook ferry is the one that is quickest, because it is the shortest distance. Also, the new catamarans that run the Red Hook-Cruz Bay route are very stable.

Charlotte Amalie is the name of the town on St Thomas. If your ship tenders you to shore, you disembark right in town. If your ship docks, it will dock at Havensight. Most NCL ships dock at Havensight, but in busy season some ships have to tender passengers.

• 4 months later...

Is there a Sailboat or Catamaran excursion Near the cruise port that goes to Trunk Bay or Anchors off trunk bay?

we did a sailboat from redhook to honeymoon beach a few years ago and they anchored off the beach and we just swam to the beach

but would like to see if anything near the port or if at redhook if one goes to Trunk Bay

thanks

• 2 weeks later...

South Jersey ~ check with your cruise line as most have a catamaran excursion to St. John. Don't know if they'll be able to tell you where they anchor for snorkeling but maybe they can.

I don't know of any independent excursions but I'm guessing there may be some of those as well. If you start a new thread with a title "Catamaran Shore Excursions to St. John" you might get more answers from those who have recently been there.

ENJOY!