What is a good layover time in lax before flying to ppt

aznfayeth

I am arriving a couple days in advance to spend time with friends. My husband is taking the first flight out from the east coast that morning and arrives at noon--leaves plenty of other options if something goes wrong. I would not risk a three hour layover, it's too short for my comfort for a connecting flight where you don't get any second chances.

We used to stay overnight to break the journey and also to easily transition into the time zone.

This year we are taking the long route via NYC and Honolulu.

Twin says his price via Hawaii was very comparable to what he would pay from NYC via LAX.

It's a round about way that we are trying for the first time .

The problem with the flight from HNL is that it only operates once a week, and gets in late Saturday evening--in time to get on board and go to bed. I'd rather get there a day or two early and be able to board in the late afternoon or early evening in order to explore the ship before it actually begins sailing and wake up the first morning already settled in.

Coming in on that flight also runs the small risk of missing the ship. It will wait if the flight is delayed a bit, they aren't going to wait all night for a serious delay.

I would never fly to PPT from New York same day. I always spend the night at LAX. Too many variables d too much uncertainty. Flight Medic came extremely close to missing his connection in LA awhile back. If all is on time it will depend on which airline you are flying. United's terminal is far away from the Int'l terminal while others are closer.

Emdee is correct, this year, since the schedule is perfect for me I am taking Hawaiian Airlines from JFK, spending the night in Honolulu. The price for all 4 legs - JFK to HNL to PPT and the return cost me less than flying AF or ATN to and from LAX. This is coach. First class there was even more of a savings. I used AA and HA miles for my wife and used the same from JFK as it would have cost from LAX. No brainer for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I would never fly to PPT from New York same day. I always spend the night at LAX. Too many variables d too much uncertainty. Flight Medic came extremely close to missing his connection in LA awhile back. If all is on time it will depend on which airline you are flying. United's terminal is far away from the Int'l terminal while others are closer.

Emdee is correct, this year, since the schedule is perfect for me I am taking Hawaiian Airlines from JFK, spending the night in Honolulu. The price for all 4 legs - JFK to HNL to PPT and the return cost me less than flying AF or ATN to and from LAX. This is coach. First class there was even more of a savings. I used AA and HA miles for my wife and used the same from JFK as it would have cost from LAX. No brainer for us.

The first flight out in the AM will get you into LA at noon. That leaves more than enough time to connect, even if your flight is delayed. There are numerous flights from NY to LA during the day, so even if your flight is cancelled you should be able to get rebooked and get there. Bad weather closing the airport or a system wide ground stop would be the only real deal breakers. Coming from NY, the worst case scenario is you get rebooked on a flight out of one of the other NY airports and hustle to make it.

The problem with the flight from HNL is that it only operates once a week, and gets in late Saturday evening--in time to get on board and go to bed. I'd rather get there a day or two early and be able to board in the late afternoon or early evening in order to explore the ship before it actually begins sailing and wake up the first morning already settled in.

Coming in on that flight also runs the small risk of missing the ship. It will wait if the flight is delayed a bit, they aren't going to wait all night for a serious delay.

This is true for the Sat - Sat cruises but Twin and Emdee are taking the 10 night cruise which leaves on Wednesday and will have 4 nights precruise.

We stayed overnight in LA and will do the same on our next cruise too. It really helps with time adjustment from the east coast. I do take a little later flight from the DC area to LA in order to arrive and go to bed but it just makes jet-lag so much easier - and less stress!

The first flight out in the AM will get you into LA at noon. That leaves more than enough time to connect, even if your flight is delayed. There are numerous flights from NY to LA during the day, so even if your flight is cancelled you should be able to get rebooked and get there. Bad weather closing the airport or a system wide ground stop would be the only real deal breakers. Coming from NY, the worst case scenario is you get rebooked on a flight out of one of the other NY airports and hustle to make it.

The minimum time for a legal connection is 2hrs. If you check your bags all the way to PPT 3hrs is more than enough. If you're taking the first flight out of JFK/EWR to LAX, the plane will have probably have been at the airport over night reducing the chance of a delayed flight.

I have flown straight through. For me, it's too much for one day. Took too long to recover after getting to Tahiti. Definitely take the first flight out! What time of year are you going?

Edited by twin123185

The minimum time for a legal connection is 2hrs. If you check your bags all the way to PPT 3hrs is more than enough. If you're taking the first flight out of JFK/EWR to LAX, the plane will have probably have been at the airport over night reducing the chance of a delayed flight.

Isn't that pretty much what I said?

I have flown straight through. For me, it's too much for one day. Took too long to recover after getting to Tahiti. Definitely take the first flight out! What time of year are you going?

I've flown MCO to PHL and EWR and then onward to European destinations in one day. Same difference in time zones. I'd do it again. It's only six hours difference, some European destinations can be as much as eight.

Edited by ducklite

We've done flights out of LAX a couple of times to PPT as well as to Fiji and Australia. We never came close to missing the connection. If you are flying in the winter when the East Coast has more of a chance of a problem I would try to get into LAX the day before. Other than that I would be comfortable with a 3 hour timeframe. On my prior trips from landing to gate was less than 1 hour every time. This included trips when I had to reclaim my luggage in LAX.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmm

I can think of many times my trip got delayed. Mechanical, plane hit another plane on the taxi way, weather ............

Usually everything goes fine but then there are those times that seem to come out of nowhere when your least expecting ..........

If it was a flight to go see my mother-in-law it wouldn't be a big deal but when it's a $10K + vacation to paradise I plan for the 'what if's'

The first flight from TO to LAX gets in at about 10 am. With a late night flight I find this quite doable especially in summer or fall. This is also because there are a few flights after the first one so if the flight is cancelled delayed etc then there is plenty of time to make another flight. Winter I usually go overnight.

We should arrive in L.A at 11 am and we have a connecting flight at 1:15 pm from LAX to Detroit. Our travel agent said we should be o.k. because typically the flight leaving Tahiti isn't late and sometimes they leave early if everyone is on board. Also weather shouldn't be an issue in Sept. The only reason I am cutting it that close is the next flight is late at night and we would have to wait all day in the airport a-n-d we are on our way home not starting our vacation--

Question: How often has your flight on ATN arriving at LAX been on time/early or late??

In response to the question -is a three hour lay over long enough?

I would be way too nervous to chance missing my flight and having to hunt for another flight when I am on my way to such a special and expensive trip. Coming home is a different story.

Ok, so I just have to ask as this kept me awake all last night after reading the posts here. We will be flying down from Oakland to LAX, arriving at 11:05 am before our 3:30 flight to Papeete. (In case that one gets canceled, the next one that leaves Oakland arrives about noon or just after.) I have never been to the international terminal, so don't have a sense about how far it is and how long it would take us to get there (several terminals away from where Southwest flights are). Your opinions are needed please! (I told my TA I would book our flights to LA, but maybe I should have let her do it!)

We should arrive in L.A at 11 am and we have a connecting flight at 1:15 pm from LAX to Detroit. Our travel agent said we should be o.k. because typically the flight leaving Tahiti isn't late and sometimes they leave early if everyone is on board. Also weather shouldn't be an issue in Sept. The only reason I am cutting it that close is the next flight is late at night and we would have to wait all day in the airport a-n-d we are on our way home not starting our vacation--

Question: How often has your flight on ATN arriving at LAX been on time/early or late??

In response to the question -is a three hour lay over long enough?

I would be way too nervous to chance missing my flight and having to hunt for another flight when I am on my way to such a special and expensive trip. Coming home is a different story.

As long as you're American, that should be fine coming back PPT-LAX, but if you're not, it would be far too close. Being Canadian, coming back we often have endured very long lines at immigration, so two hours would not be enough, although I agree, coming home it's not so crucial.

... I have never been to the international terminal, so don't have a sense about how far it is and how long it would take us to get there (several terminals away from where Southwest flights are). Your opinions are needed please! (I told my TA I would book our flights to LA, but maybe I should have let her do it!)

It's not far, the airport terminals are in a big U, with Tom Bradley at one end, and you can walk from one to another. Here's a map:

http://www.mappery.com/Los-Angeles-International-Airport-Terminal-Map

The problem is I have limited vacation time. I think I can take the 8a flight to lax from jfk and arrive at 11a which would give me 4.5 hrs until the atn flight leaves at 3:30p. If the flight is delayed then the next flight is 9:30a which would give me 3hrs.

The problem is I have limited vacation time. I think I can take the 8a flight to lax from jfk and arrive at 11a which would give me 4.5 hrs until the atn flight leaves at 3:30p. If the flight is delayed then the next flight is 9:30a which would give me 3hrs.

There you go, perfect plan!

I always book the flight that I know if it has a problem there is another that will still get me there on time. ;)

oh oh--we are Canadian--I guess I should have posed this question on the boards earlier.

In 7 trips the flight back was late 3 times.

If you have global access you should make it but otherwise not sure. The lineups for Canadians are the same as for Asians and that is the time that flights come in from Asia. The problem lies with the fact that Asians have to be fingerprinted and eyes to be photoed. That takes more than double the time per person than for us Canadians.

If you don't have Nexus/ global access I would get it.