What is a good layover time in lax before flying to ppt

aznfayeth

If you don't have Nexus/ global access I would get it.

But it really doesn't make sense to do that unless you travel thru the US quite frequently. Even as snowbirds, we haven't bothered, just not worth it, plus I have no intention of being fingerprinted.

On a different note... Our layover at LAX is 12 hours between arrival from DFW and departing at 11:45 pm. We definitely don't want to sit around LAX for 12 hours. I've thought about renting a car and storing the luggage in the trunk, but the concern with that is someone breaking into the car while we stop to shop or eat.

Another idea we've had is to get a hotel room for the day. Has anyone ever rented a day room near LAX? The room would serve as luggage storage as well as a place to relax for a bit before the flight.

I wouldn't worry about someone nabbing your stuff, just make sure you rent a car that doesn't have a hinged rear seat that opens to the trunk.

There are several nice drives. As you will arrive mid day I would head up the coast on Hwy 1 up to Point Mugu or even further up 101 to Santa Barbara. The view of the coast line is beautiful, looking out to the Channel Islands. BTW, Mugu Rock is famous, when you see it you will recognize it from many movies and car ads.

Decide where you would like to have dinner, I would suggest around Malibu, who knows, you might spot a movie star. For a good but not fancy realistically price dinner I would tell you to go to "Malibu Seafood". 25653 Pacific Coast Highway, 1.5 miles north of Pepperdine University. I always get the Halibut & Chips but they grilled fish dinners are very good and fresh caught. Great view of the ocean from here.

As you will head back after dinner (at least 7pm) you will miss the heavy traffic but I would tell you to drive back via Hwy 1 as it is nicer and the traffic isn't as bad. Drop off the car around 8:00pm and go check-in.

But it really doesn't make sense to do that unless you travel thru the US quite frequently. Even as snowbirds, we haven't bothered, just not worth it, plus I have no intention of being fingerprinted.

Wendy it's only $50 for 5 years. It's terribly convenient with no lineup. Besides dunner lives in a border city so it's even more worth it.

We originally got it just for lax but love the convenience in TO or anywhere in the US.

Wendy and Emdee --thanks for your feedback.

Emdee the Nexus is a great idea and you are right since we do go over to the states quite a bit and it is only 50 dollars for five years we will definitely give that a try. We can evaluate it in 5 years to see if it is worth doing it again.

It will hopefully help us out on this trip!

The only way you can't use it maybe as much as you would like is if someone you are travelling with doesn't have the card. That might be the only draw back. We will have to talk our friends into getting one.

All three of us in the family have them.

Takes about three months so don't waste time.

Land borders have nexus lanes and when you shop you declare it and It charges your card directly.

Also when flying to the US no taking off jacket, shoes, computer etc. easy peasy.

Best 50$ we ever spent!

Wendy it's only $50 for 5 years. It's terribly convenient with no lineup. Besides dunner lives in a border city so it's even more worth it.

We originally got it just for lax but love the convenience in TO or anywhere in the US.

Yeah, I know, but we don't live in a border city. And I really don't want my fingerprints taken. So that's the end of that, for us.

On a different note... Our layover at LAX is 12 hours between arrival from DFW and departing at 11:45 pm. We definitely don't want to sit around LAX for 12 hours. I've thought about renting a car and storing the luggage in the trunk, but the concern with that is someone breaking into the car while we stop to shop or eat.

Another idea we've had is to get a hotel room for the day. Has anyone ever rented a day room near LAX? The room would serve as luggage storage as well as a place to relax for a bit before the flight.

We booked a day room at the LAX Hilton the day we fly to PPT. It was about $90 and we have it 9-6. It will give us a place to keep luggage as well as having the ability to shower before heading to the airport.

We booked a day room at the LAX Hilton the day we fly to PPT. It was about $90 and we have it 9-6. It will give us a place to keep luggage as well as having the ability to shower before heading to the airport.

I'm torn on this one, but it seems that the drive on the PCH is winning in the vote among friends and most importantly the wife. On the one hand, I like the idea of just being lazy all day, but on the other hand a drive up the coast is something I've wanted to do for a while. I go to the LA area a couple of times a year for business, but never take the time to enjoy the more scenic areas. A drive will also tire me out so that I can hopefully sleep for a bit on the plane.

Now to decide on which car to rent. That M5 from Hertz looks pretty nice. I haven't driven one of those in a couple of years. :cool:

I'm torn on this one, but it seems that the drive on the PCH is winning in the vote among friends and most importantly the wife. On the one hand, I like the idea of just being lazy all day, but on the other hand a drive up the coast is something I've wanted to do for a while. I go to the LA area a couple of times a year for business, but never take the time to enjoy the more scenic areas. A drive will also tire me out so that I can hopefully sleep for a bit on the plane.

Now to decide on which car to rent. That M5 from Hertz looks pretty nice. I haven't driven one of those in a couple of years. :cool:

That would be the reason I would take the drive .......... the scenery plus making you a bit tired so you can sleep ............ a good choice

That would be the reason I would take the drive .......... the scenery plus making you a bit tired so you can sleep ............ a good choice

If they are flying from DFW on a flight which gets in that early, they are leaving by 7:30 am, and most likely up at 4:00 am to get to the airport. This translates to being awake almost 24 hours before the flight leaves. I wouldn't worry about being tired.

Edited by ducklite

If they are flying from DFW on a flight which gets in that early, they are leaving by 7:30 am, and most likely up at 4:00 am to get to the airport. This translates to being awake almost 24 hours before the flight leaves. I wouldn't worry about being tired.

We take off at 10:30 and land at 11:50 so not too bad. I managed to find a 767 being moved to LAX. We got some premium seats with extra room and no one beside us with my miles so it will hopefully be a decent flight.

That gives us five or six hours out and about and an early dinner at a nice place on the coast before heading back to arrive at LAX around 7pm.

Working out the travel times with the layover included is still 23 1/2 hours to PPT, though. Not too excited about that part...

If you go to the Hotel you will take a long nap ........ and then you will be staying up during the flight ......... go take a drive, enjoy the view, have a nice dinner ......

We have no intention of napping. I am taking a yoga class that morning, but will have returned the keys to the friends I am staying with for a few days in LA as I leave, and they will be at work. My plan is to go check in and shower. When my husband arrives, we will go hiking, and then return to the room, shower (again), use the Internet to take care of any last minute items, and then check out and go to dinner before heading to the airport.

All three of us in the family have them.

Takes about three months so don't waste time.

Land borders have nexus lanes and when you shop you declare it and It charges your card directly.

Also when flying to the US no taking off jacket, shoes, computer etc. easy peasy.

Best 50$ we ever spent!

Can you clarify --"it charges your card directly"

This is when you come back from the US land border using the special nexus lane and not the regular lane. This lane is unmanned and the form has to be scanned. You can still use the regular lane if you want but if you don't want the line up then you can use this lane. Airports are different.

When you get your nexus they will explain it all to you. You could also check the web site. DH handles all this so I don't really get involved. I just enjoy the shopping.