Jewlery

Tboomsma

Look if you must, but buy at HOME. There are no good 'bargains' to be made at cruise ports.

john

Not entirely true. IMO, I would agree that many of the "ship recommended" stores right off the ship don't offer good pricing values, although the ship stands behind the merchant if there is a problem.

But there definitely are good merchants and values to be had in certain ports of call. Can't assist in St. Martin, however.

Maybe the OP just wants a pair of diamond stud earrings as a memento of her trip - and is simply asking where the best price could be had. I often pick up a pair of earrings or bracelet, not because it's the best quality, or because it beats the prices at home, but because it reminds me of a wonderful holiday experience.

Smooth Sailing ! :) :) :)

I live in NY the capital of jewelry bargains. We have bought some good bargains on the islands reconfirmed when we got home. I have found tha St Marten unfortunately to be much higher than St. Thomas

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

One does have to be careful buying jewelry in a place you aren't likely to be in again...in case anything goes wrong. If your ring or earring loses a stone you can't just return to the store for a repair.

There are places that have gold settings that aren't solid gold; there are risks buying any stone that could be colored glass.

That being said, I love jewelry and I like buying things on cruises. In St. Maarten my favorite jewelry store is Vibrant Jewelers aka the Greek Jewelers. They are at 91 Front Street. They have very unusual pieces.

You need to have some idea of what a piece would cost at home. For example, I bought a pair of gold hoop earrings studded with white sapphires....they look just like diamonds but at a fraction of the price.

Something as basic as diamond stud earrings will be in all the Front Street stores....just go to several and compare prices.