From ship to Rome by train

wmac70

Extremely easy. Take the train. The station is a short walk from port. There are tons of threads in this "ports" forum on logistics and train times from Civitavecchia to Rome. Recommend using search function there to find them.

Edited by Tommy3putts

Suggest a web search for 'Toms port guides'.

Tom offers free PDF guides for many ports including Civitavecchia (to Rome).

It will also guide your choice of station in Rome depending upon the first location you wish to see there.

Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise book was incredibly helpful to us for deciphering public transportation choices. We went on our own everywhere except Tunisia. And we're seniors with some walking issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

While it is extremely easy to get to Rome by train, it can be extremely crowded - especially on the way back. Plus the Rome central station "Termini" is just crazy - loooong, endless walks. Should you decide to take the train, use St. Peter station instead.

The train you need to take back to the ship is the main commuter line to Pisa. The train can be very crowded. People are stuck in the isles like sardines in a can very often ;-)

Check www.civitatours.com as an alternative. They offer a shuttle/bus service to Rome and back for a reasonable price. Available as transfer only or with guided tour.

We did both already and found the service of civitatours more relaxing.

Extremely easy. Take the train. The station is a short walk from port. There are tons of threads in this "ports" forum on logistics and train times from Civitavecchia to Rome. Recommend using search function there to find them.

It is a short walk only if the shuttle from the port area to Civitavecchia is available. If you try to walk from the pier to the station, depending on where you are docked, it will take you at least 30 minutes up to 45 minutes. We've been to this port many times but only walked once (and we hike 4-5 miles a day) and would not do it again. Don't waste valuable port time by walking...the shuttle is usually available, is free, and will drop you off a 5-10 minute walk from the station.

It's very easy to do Rome from Civitavecchia by train. Trains are frequent and cheap and usually take less time than driving. As the person above said, just take the port bus to the port entrance and the train station is a 15 minute walk along the sea front. English is well-spoken at the ticket office. To check the time of the trains go to the Trenitalia website. http://www.trenitalia.com/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=4ddd1a035296f310VgnVCM1000005817f90aRCRD

To maximise you time there make sure you have a plan of what you want to do. I agree with someone above that you should look for a train to Roma S Pietro, which is a station near to the Vatican and which avoids you having to go into Termini first. I would do St Peter's first and as early as possible before the lines build up and then get a metro. The closest metro station to the Vatican is Ottoviano and it's only 3 stops from there to Spagna for the Spanish Steps and Trevi fountain and Pantheon. Alternatively you can change lines at Termini to go to Colosseo for the Colosseum.

I just got back from a weekend in Rome and the lines were very long so if you want to do the Vatican museums you really must book a place. We had prebooked tickets and walked straight in at 9.00 am when the line to buy tickets was already stretching along the full length of the walls. When we left the museum (at around 11am) the line for St Peter's stretched all the way around the piazza, although it does move quickly.

If you want to do the Colosseum make sure you buy your ticket at the Forum. The ticket gets you into the Colosseum and the Forum. It's only 10 minutes walk between the two. We bought our ticket at the Forum where there was no line and walked down to the Colosseum where there were literally hundreds of people standing in line for the ticket office (and many people cutting in line) We just walked straight through to the ticket barriers.

Edited by Bobal

Rick Steve's Mediterranean Cruise book was incredibly helpful to us for deciphering public transportation choices. We went on our own everywhere except Tunisia. And we're seniors with some walking issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

Another vote for the Rick Steeves book!

We got off the train at Terminii station and worked our way up to St. Peters then took the train back from there. We didn't find the train too crowded, but we didn't wait until the last possible one. We are also seniors, but enjoy walking. We would have no hesitation in taking the train again as long as we could get off the ship early.

On the train and in particular buses in Rome - keep a close guard on your wallet, purse &/or backpacks. My wallet was stolen from a zippered cross body purse and I never felt a thing until I looked down at my wide open purse which I had NOT left unzipped. Worst of all - I was the one telling my husband to be more careful:eek:.

On the train and in particular buses in Rome - keep a close guard on your wallet, purse &/or backpacks. My wallet was stolen from a zippered cross body purse and I never felt a thing until I looked down at my wide open purse which I had NOT left unzipped. Worst of all - I was the one telling my husband to be more careful:eek:.

agree 100%

Rome and Naples are notorious for pickpocketing-

- Don't let the kids at the station "guide" you to your train or schlep your luggage. They expect a tip.

- Spend the couple of Euros extra for the express train. The intercity stops at every station, whereas the express makes only one or two.

- Train schedules are just a rough estimate. Don't expect punctuality.

There is a lot of not very accurate information here. First of all I have never been to Rome when the Shuttles weren't available to take it to the port entrance. Theyre free and I recommend that you take one of the earliest ones you can get on as soon as the ship is cleared.

When you get off the shuttle turn right with the ocean on your right and walk four blocks to the train station which will be on your left. Go into the newsstand and give them €12 for each BIRG ticket. This will give you all day use of the metro and buses in Rome as well. I do not recommend waiting around for the express train since there are a few of them and they only save you 15-20 minutes anyway. And you lose precious time waiting around for the tourist train since it doesn't leave Til about 9:30. I have never had to stand in either direction on the regular train. You can check the schedules at the trenitalia website.

Be absolutely sure to validate your ticket in the box on the platform!

Many people recommend avoiding Termini as much as possible. There's really nothing in that area for tourists to see anyway. We prefer to get off at the Roma ostiense station which is connected to the Pyramid metro station. You can ride the metro one or two stops to the Colosseo exit and you'll be right in front of the colosseum. From there you can walk to the Forum and even continue walking to the pantheon, trevi fountain, etc. At this point we stop for lunch.

Then we take a quick taxi ride to the Vatican and see the basilica. From there it is a short walk to the Roma San Pietro station for the ride back to the ship.

If you have specific sites you want to see, ie Vatican museums, galleria borghese, etc. You just have to modify this plan to allow enough time. This is just a basic one day port stop, see as much as you can, plan.

Actually there are three easy ways to get to Rome on your own:

First of all, take the free port shuttle to the port entrance (fortress).

1. Book a bus trip with Civitatours

2. Fast train (runs only once per day, leave at 9/9:30 am and returns somewhen around 4 pm). The ticket is 15 Euros. Advantage: You do have a seat.

3. Regular regional train: 12 Euro for the BIRG ticket which includes the public transportation in Rome. Leave the train at St. Peter and board the train at the central station (Roma Termini) as there you still have a chance to get a seat.

Once in Rome you can also take one of the Hop on Hop off busses (there are different companies and different routes).

From the fortress in Civitavecchia walk to the right along the beach as already mentioned. At the fortress there´s a green kiosk for tourist information which is also selling tickets. Or right at the first booth when reaching the street. They do sell tickets both BIRG and for the fast train. You can also buy a city map which has the train time table printed on for 1 Euro. Or you walk up to the train station and buy the ticket at the counter, in the shop at the station or at one of the ticket machines. All BIRG tickets have to be validated at the platform at one of the yellow boxes (those are not at the platform the train is leaving, you have to use the ones right on the first platform leaving the station building).

I usually take a train back to the ship between 3 and 4 pm. It´s less crowded (no or less commuters by that time).

steamboats

While it is extremely easy to get to Rome by train, it can be extremely crowded - especially on the way back. Plus the Rome central station "Termini" is just crazy - loooong, endless walks. Should you decide to take the train, use St. Peter station instead.

The train you need to take back to the ship is the main commuter line to Pisa. The train can be very crowded. People are stuck in the isles like sardines in a can very often ;-)

Check www.civitatours.com as an alternative. They offer a shuttle/bus service to Rome and back for a reasonable price. Available as transfer only or with guided tour.

We did both already and found the service of civitatours more relaxing.

Recommend this absolutely/ much faster getting in and out of Rome/everyone gets a seat and not like the above regular trains/ I discovered this through Rick

Stevens' book and so glad we booked it

As previous posters have said, it is a short walk from the port entrance to the train station. There is a local (Regionale) train every hour. The Regionales go from Civitavecchia to Rome and the reverse. If you take one of these trains, rather than an Intercity train which may seem better because it offers first class seating, you will leave from Track One which is at street level. The other trains involve dragging your luggage down one flight of stairs and up another flight. Avoid this if possible. I speak from bitter experience.