They Took My Soda

This past week I was on a cruise out of Tampa on the Brilliance of the Seas. At security at the port when we ran our carry on bags through I heard the guys say "more than 6".

They took my small bag which had 6 plastic bottles of root beer (16 ounces each) and three plastic bottles of water and brought it to another table with me. They wanted my name and cabin number and said I could pick up the stuff when I return. I told them I didn't want them then I wanted them for the cruise since they don't have root beer. They said I can't bring anything aboard. Maybe if I had 4 bottles they would have let it slide since they guy remarked "more than 6".

I know this is their policy and just thought I'd let you know what happened because so many people ask if you can bring soda aboard. Your results may differ. I thought maybe they tightened up because of spring break but there really was no spring breakers on board this past week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The rules on carry-on beverages tend to be enforced only around spring break. If you had been cruising at a different time of year you probably wouldn't have had any trouble (I had no problem getting a 24-pack of water onto Brilliance in Tampa, but it was a bit later in the year).

Edited by ahecht

They typically do "raise the bar" around spring break times on US itineraries - doesn't really matter if your particular ship had a lot of college age passengers on board or not.

They checked our carry on wine - two bottles only as allowed - on our 3/1/14 Independence cruise and listed it on a check in sheet by stateroom number confirmed by our boarding documents. There were very few college age passengers on our cruise as well.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

All of these posts about certain drinks not being allowed are starting to concern me. We typically take a six pack of water and 6-8 juice boxes for our 4 yo son with us on the ship. We don't give him soda, so not being able to take his juice boxes on board will be an issue for me. We also take snacks (I think every family with small kids does). Is there going to be an issue with bringing the snacks he's used to with us on the ship? I really don't understand why I can carry on two bottles of wine with no issues but water/juice/soda may be an issue. It seems a little backward to me.:confused::rolleyes:

All of these posts about certain drinks not being allowed are starting to concern me. We typically take a six pack of water and 6-8 juice boxes for our 4 yo son with us on the ship. We don't give him soda, so not being able to take his juice boxes on board will be an issue for me. We also take snacks (I think every family with small kids does). Is there going to be an issue with bringing the snacks he's used to with us on the ship? I really don't understand why I can carry on two bottles of wine with no issues but water/juice/soda may be an issue. It seems a little backward to me.:confused::rolleyes:

Won't get into the beverage question, it's been beat to death on these boards. As long as the snacks are in factory sealed packaging, there is generally no problem with bringing them onboard. This is a USPH regulation.

All of these posts about certain drinks not being allowed are starting to concern me.

Having seen this reported almost every year in the 8 years I've been coming here, it does seem they get extra tight around spring break. Then things get real relaxed when that's over. I guess that is one reason we like to cruise just as Spring break is over.