What is the silliest complaint you've heard on vacation?

josassoc

I didn't witness this, but a lady posted on Cruise Critic that she was offended that the butter pats didn't have the cruise line's logos on them anymore.

Oh , that one is too funny. Wait til she sees the soap is plain too ~~~:D

on our last cruise at the ice cream bar a woman asked if they had any low fat, no sugar ice cream, the crewmember politely said yes and held up a quart container, she asked what flavor it was, he replied strawberry, she then complained that it wasn't her favorite but she would take two, as the crewmember began to pick up two bowls she said NO NO NO I want two containers, she then turned to me and said how it was so hard to keep to her diet on the cruise. I looked at the crewmember and he was trying so hard not to laugh his face was beet red, I'm sure mine was too. We also heard a couple ask a crewmember what HE was going to do about the clouds on our ONE cloudy day on a 7 day cruise.

One real complaint and 1 joke complaint.

Real

Overheard reboarding in Cozumel. "Those ruins were a rip-off. They're all man made."

Joke

Shortly after pax began boarding to start their cruise. A young man comes running to the Pursers desk. "I'm angry," he says, "I paid a lot extra for an ocean view and all I can see is a parking lot."

Dan

[quote name='monk888']OK. I've read every one of these posts, and find them hilarious. I've found some a bit hard to swallow, but on this one, I've got to ask, is this a joke or did this really happen?[/QUOTE]

This is in reference to "too many Mexicans on the beach In Acapulco"

Sadly, this is true! She felt they should stay home on the days the ships are in town. She was also upset that they were speaking Spanish and she couldn't understand (eavesdrop) their conversations. My daughters are both fluent so they started speaking Spanish just to annoy her.

Some people should just stay in the US where things are "normal":rolleyes:

On my incredible, but a bit inclemete, Tahitian Princess cruise I was at the Pursers desk cashing in some travelers Checks while there was an older women in front of me complaining that someone on the ship MUST giver her the patch because she consulted with her meteorologist prior to the cruise and he told her the weather would be good and she wouldn't need the patch so Princess owes her.

After she left (unhappy because they do not have the patch to give out on the ship) the women behind the desk couldn't stop laughing!

Hilary

karfest,

Thanks for the response. It's hard to believe, but I guess some people really are that ignorant. Like you said, some should just stay in the US and never stray so those "foreigners" don't inconvenience them. The nerve of those Mexicans speaking Spanish in Mexico! Don't they know English!!!!!

These are all too funny. I have spent the past 10 years in the hotel business and heard it all. My favorite has to be when I was working at a Hyatt.

A woman wanted asked to speak to a manager (me) about getting her money back because "she didn't get any sleep last night, the mattress was too comfortable."

Today I was in publix grocery shopping and this women walks by abd goes "I hate shopping at publix" I laughed and said then why do it there are plenty of other stores....She got real nasty and said, well you dont know publix like I know publix.

I thought this was funny and had to come back and add it to the board.

A few years ago my dad showed me a review where the woman was extremely unhappy with Princess because the chocolates on her pillow at night were dark chocolate and not milk chocolate, she continued to say that for a "family" cruise, they didn't do a good job. Her kids "as do most" enjoy milk chocolate. She also argued that she had to pay for her drinks and ice cream at the pool.
Some people should be on house arrest just for the good of the public.

My friend (who is a TA) told me that she had a client call her from vacation, SCREAMING that his room is supposed to be an ocean-view room, but that there was a palm tree in front of the window... and he was DEMANDING that she contact the hotel and have someone REMOVE the palm tree!!

Although this is not in the category of complaints ( more in line of what were they thinking) my wife and I still get a chuckle everytime we remember this incident. One morning while on the Sky Princess in 1990 sailing across the bay from Playa Del Carmen to Cozumel, the ship lost all power. We were in our cabin with the door open since the A/C was not operating, as were the elderly couple across the hall in a inside cabin. We over heard the lady say to her husband, "The lights are working OK in the cabin across the hall." To which we heard her husband respond, "They have a window, ... stupid!"

On a sea day on RCI's Adventure of the Seas my daughter and I attended a craft class where the instructor was teaching how to make a rose out of ribbon. Each time she tried to start the class someone new would show up late and she would start all over from the beginning. She did this 3 times before finally, 15 minutes into the 30 minute class, we got past the first step.

Then, in comes this very harrassed looking lady. The instructor tells her she's very sorry, she can't start over again but will be glad to give her personal instructions after the rest of the group is done. The lady gives a huge sigh and then sits down at the table and begins to complain loudly about how terrible her day has been. First she missed the ice skating, then she was late for Bingo and they wouldn't give her a card. On and on she went, all with this someone-kicked-my-puppy look on her face. After the class ended my daughter (9 yrs old at the time) said she felt bad for the lady so she went over and gave the women the rose that she had made, saying she was sorry she was having such a bad day. The lady just stared at her. No Thank You. Nothing. Just stared at her then started complaining about all she missed again. I told my daughter I was sorry she gave up her rose to the woman. She said "it's okay - she needed it more than I did".

This woman had such a lousy outlook, no wonder why she was so unhappy.

but last year at Disneyland we witnessed a dad scream at his wife and two children "Look I didn't come all the way out here just to sit on f***in' rides all day". Yup give that guy the dad of the year award. :rolleyes:

When I was working full-time as a TA, we used to get some really...um..."interesting" comments by clients. Here are a few:

"My husband refuses to fly, so we want to take that train to Hawaii".

"I am NOT driving all the way to Florida to get on this cruise ship! I want to go on the one that leaves from Birmingham (AL) so I can leave my car at home!"

"We want to go on our Honeymoon to OkeeDokee in Jamaica". (Ocho Rios)

"We want the 3-day Carnival cruise to Hawaii that leaves from Florida" (Mistook the Bahamas for Hawaii)

"What the H*** do you mean I need a !@#$%&* Passport!! I'm an American and I can go anywhere I want!"

"Do they have any good Mexican restaurants in Mexico?"

Ad infinitum..................

A few of our favorites........

[size=2]On an Alaska cruise aboard the New Star Princess in 2002, the Naturalist mentioned over the PA system that "many whales have been spotted in this area around 6PM over the last few cruises". As my wife and I were topside hoping to spot a whale or two, a woman came along and stood by us for a few minutes. After a short ten minutes she loudly exclaimed, "Can’t count on anything this naturalist says! I have waited here ten minutes and seen nothing! These whales don’t know how to keep an appointment and the naturalist should not tell people to lookout unless she is SURE that the whales can be seen!"

Aboard the Regal Princess in 1992 one man blew-up towards the end of the midnight buffet (no pun intended) because "these incompetent cooks let the shrimp run out before he was able to get HIS share!"

On another cruise, a couple complained to the cruise staff about the loud music during the Island Night party as they stood next to the big speakers that the band uses! Dah, move away from the speakers?

Last fall aboard the Golden Princess one middle-aged lady was complaining very loudly to the headwaiter in the Horizon Court, "the service on this cruise is lousy! I have to get up and get my own food. You should train your people to come around to take orders like they do downstairs!" You don’t say he said, but this is the buffet he explained. Her poor husband was ready to crawl under the table!

[/size]

This is my favorite story as told by my TA:

She had a client in the office inquiring about the price of balcony cabins. The client was insisting that the cabin be located on a deck above the water line.

My TA said it was all she could do to keep from spitting her coffee across the room as she pondered exactly how useful a balcony cabin located on a deck BELOW the water line would really be :D

[size=3]We were sitting at the bar in Jimmy Buffet's famous restaraunt in Key West Florida and tere was a couple sitting at a table behind us with a map spread out in front of them. After a while, he looks up at ther and said "I can't find Margaritaville anywhere on this map!" :D :D [/size]

[size=3]I nearly fell off my stool as any good Parrothead would know that Margaritaville is a state of mind instead of realestate.[/size]

these are hilarious! It reminds me of when I was a Public Relations Intern at Geauga Lake 5 years ago. I got a phone complaint, the guy was yelling at me becuase we closed the roller coasters due to lightning the day before. I donot know about you but the last place I would like to be when it is lightning is on a steel roller coaster. :)

This isn't a silly complaint, but it's along the line -- I was working a night flight over the Pacific and politely asked a passenger to lower his windowshade so that when the sun came up, it wouldn't shine in everyone's eyes. He refused, saying he wanted to see the International Date Line.

2. I overheard a passenger in Hawaii ask for an itemized receipt for his purchase to show customs when he went back to the United States.

3. While waiting to disembark our ship in Honolulu Harbor, a U.S. Navy vessel sailed by. A passenger standing next to me at the rail said, "Is there a military base here?" (Yeeaaah, Pearl Harbor...)

Great thread, y'all -- keep 'em coming!

I've worked in hotels in my previous career for apprximately 15 years. As you may notice, I do live in Canada, and I don't mean to poke fun. But a couple of complaints came to mind after reading this thread...

1. What do you mean you don't have 4th of July Fireworks and celebrations - what kink of city is this? (ummm...Vancouver, Canada mam, we celebrate Canada Day on July 1st though)

2. How come everything is in Canadian dollars, it is all colored, this is funny money - I don't want this stuff. (ummmm...again you are in a different country - sorry to inconvenience you)

3. My favourite is one time a Japenese guest came to the hotel and invited some lovely ladies into his room, they then proceeded to steal 10,000 US dollars from his wallet - yes, $10,000 in US currency (why he had that much cash is still a mystery) Then proceded to call the hotel security to complain that it was the hotel's fault. Because the hotel of course is responsible for his innapropriate behaviour and the hotel should be more careful when letting their guests bring strange women to the hotel. That one didn't go very far - but the police were brought in and it was a very very big deal at the time. If you don't do it at home, don't expect that it is somehow safer to do it in a foreign city!

Archived