How to pack heavily sequined poncho

DeckLife

I bought this poncho --www.chicos.com/store/browse/product.jsp?maxRec=2&pageId=1&productId=570092812&viewAll=&prd=Taylor+Poncho&subCatId=&color=982&fromSearch=true&inSeam=&posId=2&catId=&cat=&onSale=&colorFamily=&maxPg=1&size=

I was going to keep it on a hanger and pack with my hanging clothes with a dry cleaner bag over it. But maybe it would be better off folded up (with dry cleaner bag), with tissue paper or other clothes. Which way do you think would be best?

When I tried this and other sequined things on, I kept finding sequins on the floor later on.

For my sequin dresses I first put it inside a dry cleaner bag and then fold the bag in half and place in the middle of the layers in my suitcase. This keeps the sequins from grabbing each other and the dress from moving around in the suitcase. If you fold it, then make sure the bag is on first before folding.

Lisa

I couldn't get the link to work :(. But I find my biggest issue with full beaded or sequin dresses is the weight (airline restrictions). I pack anything heavily beaded in our garment bag because of the weight.

Regardless, I do pack them in the dry cleaning bag. I find wrinkling is not an issue with beaded/sequin clothing articles, which is nice!

I have done both- folded in suitcase and in garment bag. Either way they came out just fine. Like I said above, my biggest issue is weight and airline restrictions.

Just wanted to say first that you have good taste--I bought that poncho, too. But it looked a little more substantial online, and I returned it because I thought I would catch it very easily and ruin it. (You can go to Chicos.com and search for "Taylor Poncho" if the link's not working.)

Also, for packing, I'd wrap it in tissue and then maybe put it in a packing cube with some other lightweight pieces.

Could try this--

Hang a dry cleaner bag over a hangar

Hang the top over the bag

Hang another dry cleaner bag over the top

Place something (a tshirt?) for the top to fold around. Like bundle wrapping.

It's a pretty top but, for me, it's too much a bother to bring on a trip.

It won't wrinkle...so don't worry about that. You just want to keep the sequins from getting all over everything else. Beaded and sequined items will NOT wrinkle.

But, I think, that it should be treated as an item that will wrinkle. When folded and pressed (in a suitcase) the sequins will either bend and/or break.

Wow, thanks for the advice. What is the reason for having a dry cleaner bag *under* (i.e. inside) the poncho?

Yes, it is a bit heavy, but when I saw it online I had to have it! And I have no place to wear such a thing except for a cruise.

Wow, thanks for the advice. What is the reason for having a dry cleaner bag *under* (i.e. inside) the poncho?

Yes, it is a bit heavy, but when I saw it online I had to have it! And I have no place to wear such a thing except for a cruise.

I've had the thread catch from the other side. Keep it safe and protected, especially since it's an open weave.

• 3 months later...