Status - days or cruises

kobecat

When we were on the Ruby in 2011, at day 3 of the cruise we made the 150 days required for Elite. The CC hostess immediately changed our status.

Our friends were on the Diamond Princess recently and had the same situation (for platinum) and the CC hostess told them they had to complete the cruise before their status was changed.

Obviously if you are going to reach a certain status by number of cruises you must complete the relevant cruise for a change in status, but I was surprised at the refusal of the CC hostess on the Diamond to alter status for days.

Has anybody else had this occur?

Beryl

The rule for status based on number of days is the number of days at the end of the cruise.

You were the exception because your CC hostess did not follow the rules.

From the Princess web site:

"Members are eligible for a higher tier on the next cruise following completion of necessary cruises and/or cruise days."

Edited by caribill

When we were on the Ruby in 2011, at day 3 of the cruise we made the 150 days required for Elite. The CC hostess immediately changed our status.

Our friends were on the Diamond Princess recently and had the same situation (for platinum) and the CC hostess told them they had to complete the cruise before their status was changed.

Obviously if you are going to reach a certain status by number of cruises you must complete the relevant cruise for a change in status, but I was surprised at the refusal of the CC hostess on the Diamond to alter status for days.

Has anybody else had this occur?

Beryl

yes you were very lucky to reach elite mid cruise so i hope you bought a lottery ticket

You are among the very few who the Captain's Circle host broke the rules for. Normally, no amount of begging will work. It's very clearly marked that status changes after completion of your voyage. I turned Elite the day after sailing on a 2-week cruise and was refused. It's unfortunate that some CC hosts break the rules.

Edited by Pam in CA

Time to change the rules. Seems like there are more Elite passengers on board than Blue, Gold and Ruby combined. Good for the cruise line which shows the effect of loyalty but doesn't really show the results of the individual passenger commitment now that number of voyages count as much as days.

Why? How were you negatively impacted by the change to another?

There was no personal impact. BUT-the problem is that there is no consistency in Princess following their own rules from ship to ship.

Why? How were you negatively impacted by the change to another?
If someone else was able to get Elite perks during a cruise and I wasn't, then I was impacted. I would have loved the laundry perk in particular since it was a longer, hot weather cruise. Princess should be consistent and follow their written policy. Not angry, just saying.

There was no personal impact. BUT-the problem is that there is no consistency in Princess following their own rules from ship to ship.

This is true for every policy Princess has in place, every ship and crew member for that matter treats policies differently. From number of wine bottles allowed to bottles of alcohol in packed luggage, waiters waving corkage fees, teens returning to ship with open beers, the list goes on and on.

I've brought numerous bottle of wine on board and been charged the corkage upon boarding (expected) and other times been waved right through security without being charged. I have friends who packed JD in their suitcases and one person had it taken while the other didn't. Some waiters charge for corkage while others don't. And my favorite was following drunk teenagers on board while they carried their open beer cans through security.

Yes, consistency would be nice.

If someone else was able to get Elite perks during a cruise and I wasn't, then I was impacted.

I really don't see how you were impacted. You didn't expect elite

benefits, and you didn't get them.

Lots of things happen on cruises depending on who you know, and

how you ask. Just like life.

I really don't see how you were impacted. You didn't expect elite benefits, and you didn't get them.

Lots of things happen on cruises depending on who you know, and how you ask. Just like life.

I see your point and I'm really not complaining or upset. You're right that life isn't fair nor did I expect the perks because I knew the policy. It's wishful thinking on my part to expect Princess to be consistent and treat everyone the same. I'm not one to take advantage of who I know... and I always ask politely. Edited by Pam in CA

I see your point and I'm really not complaining or upset. You're right that life isn't fair nor did I expect the perks because I knew the policy. It's wishful thinking on my part to expect Princess to be consistent and treat everyone the same. I'm not one to take advantage of who I know... and I always ask politely.

....and coming from you who travels "solo" most of the time at double cost that says something. I'm not sure what's fair or not, but the program is not set up to reward those that have made a true commitment.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app.

....and coming from you who travels "solo" most of the time at double cost that says something. I'm not sure what's fair or not, but the program is not set up to reward those that have made a true commitment.

Good point, its a much more expensive way to get there.

I'm a newbie to Princess but on another cruise line (we have 550 nights) the status change is effective the first day of your cruise. This makes more sense and better since it may include additional perks like internet, laundry etc. After all, you've paid in full and you own that cabin for the length of that cruise even if you had to disembark early.

What's considered a "True commitment"

I really think these topics should be CLOSED because they eventually devolve into one group suggesting that another group "cheated" or don't deserve the benefits which isn't conducive or in line with the normally constructive dialog on this site.

I really don't see how you were impacted. You didn't expect elite

benefits, and you didn't get them.

Lots of things happen on cruises depending on who you know, and

how you ask. Just like life.

I agree life is life. But when I'm paying the same or more, I expect to be treated just like any other passenger not depending on who I know or who I schmooze.

When I am cruising on Princess I do expect all the perks I have earned,however I also love the extra service I receive when I am lucky enough to sail on a cruise where I am friends with the staff captain. Somehow once the crew sees you know their "Boss" the service is above and beyond..... that is not depriving anyone of anything due them, just a fact