Experience The Local Culture

I wanted to say that when you are out on your Port Days to enjoy lunch in Port. While a lot of people say that they would much rather go back onboard to eat as its included in the fare you are really missing out on a good lunch off the ship.

For instance last year in Livorno I was walking around the city and found the indoor market and had an Espresso for 1 Euro. The same Espresso onboard would be 3 dollars.

I then walked some more and found a Restaurant offering a special to those who were on the cruise for both passengers and crew. It looked like a great place to eat and I saw locals dining there. So I went in. For 12 Euros I got a Carafe of Wine and Pizza. And man the pizza was so delicious.

In the Azores my Father and I went to a local supermarket and for 12 Euros we had a picnic of Bread, Cheese, Cookies, A Bottle of Wine, Olives and Sardines. We sat on the seawall and saw The Liberty of The Seas pull in due to a medical emergency and saw our ship from the Sea Wall.

In Toulon France I went to a local bakery and practiced my French and got a good baguette there for 50 cents with butter and jam. Later on I found a restaurant along the pier and ordered a glass of wine for 3 Euros and enjoyed watching the ships.

On our port of call in Gibraltar two years ago we went to the Botanical Gardens and then we found a liquor store where we bought a bottle of Brandy for 4 Euro and found a local Fish and Chips place. They were really nice and allowed us to enjoy our Brandy after the Fish and Chips.

On our tour in Tenerife when everyone was given free time we used that to go to a restaurant rather than go to the expensive shops. We had a nice lunch in La Laguna on a square by the church and enjoyed the local wine and delicacies.

My point is enjoy the local culture off the ship and then you can get back on for dinner and have dinner aboard.

It really adds to our experience of a cruise when you can experience the local culture. Even just sitting on a bench and people watching or going for a paseo or passigata(walk) with the locals makes the experience more lively.

If I see a musician or other festival going on I will stop and watch it rather than just go on. Its culture and its free. I will leave a few Euros in the bucket and sit on the stairs and enjoy it.

When we arrived Rome last year it was Rome's Birthday and we arrived early and saw the Pope give his weekly speech, the parade and listened to the free music concerts. We ended the evening in a local restaurant.

Rick Steves says" To look around for cultural happenings and to use the free time given for shopping at the expensive stores for you to experience the local culture". No one is forcing you to buy at the pricey shops. As long as you know when and where to meet the tour bus you can go and have a nice lunch.

Don't ask the tour guide where to eat because they will send you to an expensive place that gives a big commission. Use your senses. If you see a restaurant with locals on a square with a menu only in the local language then its 9 times out of 10 a good place to eat.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope these tips help you(:

Great suggestion. Some of our favorite experiences and memories are from happening across an unexpected event or off-the-beaten-path café. As they say, everything in moderation - plan but leave time to poke around.

While I agree with you for European, Bermuda and Canadian cruises, I personally will not put that into practice for many of the Caribbean (or if I took on, Asia) cruises.

My health is too valuable during a cruise to risk it on an unknown food / water source.

While I agree with you for European, Bermuda and Canadian cruises, I personally will not put that into practice for many of the Caribbean (or if I took on, Asia) cruises.

My health is too valuable during a cruise to risk it on an unknown food / water source.

And add Mexico to the No No list. It's not worth the risk of intestinal "discomforts" in may countries. The OP made it sound like those who don't take that risk are cheap skates or why would they harp on prices so much. What works for them doesn't always work for others, especially if you're on certain diets like gluten free and don't know what you're getting.

What bothers me about the OP and many others who start threads not just the OP is they start with the premise what they say is fact and applicable to everyone. If they would only start with " my opinion" or "my perspective" or " my experience" it would soften things up a bit.

And add Mexico to the No No list. It's not worth the risk of intestinal "discomforts" in may countries. The OP made it sound like those who don't take that risk are cheap skates or why would they harp on prices so much. What works for them doesn't always work for others, especially if you're on certain diets like gluten free and don't know what you're getting.

What bothers me about the OP and many others who start threads not just the OP is they start with the premise what they say is fact and applicable to everyone. If they would only start with " my opinion" or "my perspective" or " my experience" it would soften things up a bit.

I'm not sure that you and I read the same thing. The OP was encouraging the reader to immerse themselves in local culture while they had the chance.

And I've eaten in Mexico, Belize, the Bahamas, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, St. Thomas, etc. with no issues.

Edited by comxkid

I wanted to say that when you are out on your Port Days to enjoy lunch in Port. While a lot of people say that they would much rather go back onboard to eat as its included in the fare you are really missing out on a good lunch off the ship.

For instance last year in Livorno I was walking around the city and found the indoor market and had an Espresso for 1 Euro. The same Espresso onboard would be 3 dollars.

I then walked some more and found a Restaurant offering a special to those who were on the cruise for both passengers and crew. It looked like a great place to eat and I saw locals dining there. So I went in. For 12 Euros I got a Carafe of Wine and Pizza. And man the pizza was so delicious.

In the Azores my Father and I went to a local supermarket and for 12 Euros we had a picnic of Bread, Cheese, Cookies, A Bottle of Wine, Olives and Sardines. We sat on the seawall and saw The Liberty of The Seas pull in due to a medical emergency and saw our ship from the Sea Wall.

In Toulon France I went to a local bakery and practiced my French and got a good baguette there for 50 cents with butter and jam. Later on I found a restaurant along the pier and ordered a glass of wine for 3 Euros and enjoyed watching the ships.

On our port of call in Gibraltar two years ago we went to the Botanical Gardens and then we found a liquor store where we bought a bottle of Brandy for 4 Euro and found a local Fish and Chips place. They were really nice and allowed us to enjoy our Brandy after the Fish and Chips.

On our tour in Tenerife when everyone was given free time we used that to go to a restaurant rather than go to the expensive shops. We had a nice lunch in La Laguna on a square by the church and enjoyed the local wine and delicacies.

My point is enjoy the local culture off the ship and then you can get back on for dinner and have dinner aboard.

It really adds to our experience of a cruise when you can experience the local culture. Even just sitting on a bench and people watching or going for a paseo or passigata(walk) with the locals makes the experience more lively.

If I see a musician or other festival going on I will stop and watch it rather than just go on. Its culture and its free. I will leave a few Euros in the bucket and sit on the stairs and enjoy it.

When we arrived Rome last year it was Rome's Birthday and we arrived early and saw the Pope give his weekly speech, the parade and listened to the free music concerts. We ended the evening in a local restaurant.

Rick Steves says" To look around for cultural happenings and to use the free time given for shopping at the expensive stores for you to experience the local culture". No one is forcing you to buy at the pricey shops. As long as you know when and where to meet the tour bus you can go and have a nice lunch.

Don't ask the tour guide where to eat because they will send you to an expensive place that gives a big commission. Use your senses. If you see a restaurant with locals on a square with a menu only in the local language then its 9 times out of 10 a good place to eat.

Enjoy your cruise and I hope these tips help you(:

I enjoyed reading through this. This is part of the reason that I don't see myself ever taking a European cruise. Less than one day in each city would not allow me the time to properly immerse myself in the experience and "do as the locals do".

I'm not sure that you and I read the same thing. The OP was encouraging the reader to immerse themselves in local culture while they had the chance.

When someone starts with YOU SHOULD it is not encouragement it is more of "I know better then you what's good for you" . As I mentioned before if they would start with If they would only start with "here's a suggestion" or " my opinion" or "my perspective" or " my experience" it would soften things up a bit. That's my opinion YMMV. Edited by cruzsnooze

When someone starts with YOU SHOULD it is not encouragement it is more of "I know better then you what's good for you" . As I mentioned before if they would start with If they would only start with "here's a suggestion" or " my opinion" or "my perspective" or " my experience" it would soften things up a bit. That's my opinion YMMV.

O.K., but the OP never said "you should" in that tone. Nor do he/she accuse anyone of being a "cheapskate".

If I say "When you're in Florida, you should take the opportunity to see Disney World", am I implying that I know better than you what's good for you? I can assure you that I'm not. I'm only offering a suggestion, not a requirement. Nor am I making any judgments.

When you watch the news or read about a topic you are not obligated to take it to mean that its for everyone. My point is one does not have to say "My Opinion" or My Perspective. Just like they say "If it doesn't apply to you then you don't have to take the advice".

It was certainly not my intention to hurt your feelings and I do understand there are people who have health conditions that may not allow them to experience certain things.

When someone starts with YOU SHOULD it is not encouragement it is more of "I know better then you what's good for you" . As I mentioned before if they would start with If they would only start with "here's a suggestion" or " my opinion" or "my perspective" or " my experience" it would soften things up a bit. That's my opinion YMMV.

Please re-read my OP I never said once you should. I was just offering my observations which clearly you missed and I apologize for that.

One of the best lunchs I ever had was in Naples, also have had great lunchs in many cities in Mexico, Jamaica etc etc . Do not understand why you would not want to try it or eat in a KFC or McDonalds in these place.

One of the best lunchs I ever had was in Naples, also have had great lunchs in many cities in Mexico, Jamaica etc etc . Do not understand why you would not want to try it or eat in a KFC or McDonalds in these place.

We had some great jerk chicken in Jamaica and amazing food (and margaritas!) in Mexico :)

Cruzsnooze I do not enjoy your replies to my thread. First of all I never said anything about cheapskates. I never said anything about not taking risks means you are a cheapskate. Where did you get that from? Perhaps your the person that should stay home or learn a few basic phrases in the local language or point to them in a phrasebook about your diet. I have spoken with people who have traveled around the world with a food allergy and they were able to get their needs met by having someone either write down the phrase for "I have a Gluten Allergy or Peanut Allergy" or I can only eat Vegetarian Items. Trust me it works for the most part. They want to be as accommodating as possible

I don't believe you really read my post to begin with. Or perhaps you have and you think that I'm inconsiderate. I have just completed a Travel and Tourism Program, have experience with special diets etc.

Just because you read something on CNN does not mean it applies to you. You could get sick on a cruise ship with the NoroVirus let alone at a corner restaurant five miles from home. People have allergies or sensitivities to food and I can understand that.

I really am not sure why you decided to "pick on my post" in the manner that you did. Some of your comments are baseless and just because one had a bad experience in Mexico does not mean there are great restaurants to eat at.

I have been to Los Cabos and Puerto Valletta and did not experience any issues. I will be stopping over in Mexico City for a layover tour on my way to Brazil and love experiencing the local culture.

I don't understand how you even thought to use the word "cheapskate". I never said any derogatory comment in my 1,000+ postings here on Cruise Critic. I have been very cordial in my response to you and I really suggest if you do not like what I post to please not comment unless you have something nice to say. While I accept that people have their own opinions some things are left to be kept to yourself.

People here on Cruise Critic know that I do my best to offer my advice. I have been very careful to follow all of the Cruise Critic Rules and to respect that others come from various cultures etc.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and I hope you will redact what you said or explain yourself better as I took offense to your replies.

Edited by travelplus

OP, I thoroughly enjoyed your suggestion that, perhaps, one consider taking a deep breath and simply enjoy being in a new place. No, it's not an immersive visit, as someone mentioned.

We took our first Med cruise to see what cruising was all. We found a seven night cruise out of Rome, which meant we could have a few days in our beloved Rome afterwards.

A cruise, we discovered, is a great way to visit Greece. Our first cruise, we did all ship's excursions, except for Naples, where we re-visited the museum and dined on pizza. Year two (10 nights), we did a mix of ship and private excursions. We splurged on a driver to takes us to Praiano on the Amalfi Coast, where had Sunday dinner at our favorite petite restaurant, down by the water. We and our delightful driver were invited to eat with the family, and it's one of my all-time favorite experiences.

Now, out of all our ship's excursions, only one was disappointing, the Acropolis in Athens. Too crowded and a lackluster guide. For cruise #3, we decided we wanted a more laid back trip. We looked for a 7-nighter because cruising 10 nights left too little time for Italy afterwards, and we looked for new ports.

We booked a cruise out of Venice on the Splendour and were lucky enough to snag a JS at a great rate. Our goal was to enjoy local food, preferably seafood, in each port. We had decided to make lunch on shore our big meal of the day and eat our dinners in the WJ.

It worked out great. Seafood in Dubrovnik; tzatziki, pizza, and roasted eggplant in Santorini; lamb in Corfu. This was our third visit to Athens via ship. We splurged on a driver to take us to Delphi (though everyone said it couldn't be done), my new favorite archeological site. Our driver, Kostas from George's taxi, was a fount of knowledge about Greece, past and present. We learned so much from him, as well as about him and his perspective. If we ever return, we'll adopt him for a few days.

Anyway, in the village of Delphi, we ate at a restaurant overlooking the mountains, the valley below us, carpeted with olive trees, and the Bay of Corinth. Did he get a "kickback"? Don't know and don't care. My husband ate some kind of pasta, while I wept over a plate of shrimp. Goat cheese, tomatoes, basil, tzatziki (I could drink that stuff) - we enjoyed it all.

We enjoyed Katakolon/ Olympia, and this was the only day we ate lunch onboard. We strolled along the waterfront, but all the restaurants had a tourist sameness, like one finds in areas of Rome.

So, don't get huffy about the OP's post, enjoy it. It's a great way to do ports, and you won't wear yourself out.

By the way, we'd been warned that the Splendour would be a rust bucket in comparison the S-class on Celebrity. Ha! I loved everything about her! So what if the loungers aren't as cushy. The Windjammer beat the socks off the Oceanview on X, and we enjoyed each and every dinner there. Shoot, I could have feasted on the cheese/bread station and skipped everything else. The service was great, the food was very good, and there was much more variety than on X.

OK. Thanks for letting me ramble on and reminisce. The OP's narrative struck a very pleasant chord in me.

OP, I thoroughly enjoyed your suggestion that, perhaps, one consider taking a deep breath and simply enjoy being in a new place. No, it's not an immersive visit, as someone mentioned.

We took our first Med cruise to see what cruising was all. We found a seven night cruise out of Rome, which meant we could have a few days in our beloved Rome afterwards.

A cruise, we discovered, is a great way to visit Greece. Our first cruise, we did all ship's excursions, except for Naples, where we re-visited the museum and dined on pizza. Year two (10 nights), we did a mix of ship and private excursions. We splurged on a driver to takes us to Praiano on the Amalfi Coast, where had Sunday dinner at our favorite petite restaurant, down by the water. We and our delightful driver were invited to eat with the family, and it's one of my all-time favorite experiences.

Now, out of all our ship's excursions, only one was disappointing, the Acropolis in Athens. Too crowded and a lackluster guide. For cruise #3, we decided we wanted a more laid back trip. We looked for a 7-nighter because cruising 10 nights left too little time for Italy afterwards, and we looked for new ports.

We booked a cruise out of Venice on the Splendour and were lucky enough to snag a JS at a great rate. Our goal was to enjoy local food, preferably seafood, in each port. We had decided to make lunch on shore our big meal of the day and eat our dinners in the WJ.

It worked out great. Seafood in Dubrovnik; tzatziki, pizza, and roasted eggplant in Santorini; lamb in Corfu. This was our third visit to Athens via ship. We splurged on a driver to take us to Delphi (though everyone said it couldn't be done), my new favorite archeological site. Our driver, Kostas from George's taxi, was a fount of knowledge about Greece, past and present. We learned so much from him, as well as about him and his perspective. If we ever return, we'll adopt him for a few days.

Anyway, in the village of Delphi, we ate at a restaurant overlooking the mountains, the valley below us, carpeted with olive trees, and the Bay of Corinth. Did he get a "kickback"? Don't know and don't care. My husband ate some kind of pasta, while I wept over a plate of shrimp. Goat cheese, tomatoes, basil, tzatziki (I could drink that stuff) - we enjoyed it all.

We enjoyed Katakolon/ Olympia, and this was the only day we ate lunch onboard. We strolled along the waterfront, but all the restaurants had a tourist sameness, like one finds in areas of Rome.

So, don't get huffy about the OP's post, enjoy it. It's a great way to do ports, and you won't wear yourself out.

By the way, we'd been warned that the Splendour would be a rust bucket in comparison the S-class on Celebrity. Ha! I loved everything about her! So what if the loungers aren't as cushy. The Windjammer beat the socks off the Oceanview on X, and we enjoyed each and every dinner there. Shoot, I could have feasted on the cheese/bread station and skipped everything else. The service was great, the food was very good, and there was much more variety than on X.

OK. Thanks for letting me ramble on and reminisce. The OP's narrative struck a very pleasant chord in me.

Thank you so much for posting. Its great to hear about your various excursions. I'm glad you loved your cruise on the Splendour. I love the cheese boards they have in the Windjammer as well and yes if I had a large lunch I just go to the Windjammer or Main Dining Room and get the delicious fruit soup and Cheese Platter and am all set.

I would love to do a Med cruise myself so perhaps I would do a B2B where either end would connect to the Trans Atlantic Portion.