GTY Suite (W) question

FeelingCruisy

We are currently booked on a GTY Suite (W) for a cruise in May. It shows that the Suites cabins are sold out for about a week now. We are still waiting to be assigned. For those who booked this category in the past, or have some knowledge,

1) Is is common for a GTY not to be assigned and yet, cruise line is saying SOLD OUT on their site. (other TA also shows SOLD OUT)

2) I guess my question for (1) is has anyone experienced that?

3) So I'm guessing it's an entry level Sky suite we'd be getting. Anyone ever got upgraded to a higher category than Sky (Celebrity, Royal, etc. while booking a GTY suite?) - wishful thinking, I'd be so thankful!!!

Edited by FeelingCruisy

You have a guaranteed Suite which is chosen by the line and can be any class of suite. Likely it will be the lowest category of suite. As for when its assigned its usually done after you make final payment for your cruise but they can wait till later. Given that all suites are sold out the chance for an upgrade is not going to happen unless someone with a suite cancels. Generally, they would be offered to loyalty members beginning with those who have the most cruise points on their respective line. We have done 17 cruises and have yet to be offered an upgrade. As you know most cruises sail full so its rare to begin with. Hope this answers your questions.

You have a guaranteed Suite which is chosen by the line and can be any class of suite. Likely it will be the lowest category of suite. As for when its assigned its usually done after you make final payment for your cruise but they can wait till later. Given that all suites are sold out the chance for an upgrade is not going to happen unless someone with a suite cancels. Generally, they would be offered to loyalty members beginning with those who have the most cruise points on their respective line. We have done 17 cruises and have yet to be offered an upgrade. As you know most cruises sail full so its rare to begin with. Hope this answers your questions.

Alright thanks.

Edited by FeelingCruisy

Just because the public website shows no available suites on your sailing doesn't mean that's the end of the story. Most likely a number of suites have been removed from public access and are waiting to be assigned to people on guarantees such as yourself.

Just because the public website shows no available suites on your sailing doesn't mean that's the end of the story. Most likely a number of suites have been removed from public access and are waiting to be assigned to people on guarantees such as yourself.

You're probably right. They sometimes temporarily remove Suites and then make the assignments.

We've waited three weeks for a Suite assignment, and were ultimately assigned a Royal Suite. A very lucky choice for us.

Good luck with your pending assignment.

thanks everyone for your input,

Karyanne - a ROYAL suite, did you booked a GTY (W) Suite GTY?

Hope you hit the jackpot!! please come back here and let us know your assignment! ;)

Edited by drarill

After 15+ cruises in guarantee cabins on six different lines, I can say that free upgrades are getting rarer and rarer. And celebrity is particularly tight. (Nevertheless, they are currently our preferred cruise line.)

A note: from pur experiences. Celebrity has been likely to upgrade based on loyalty. Other lines seem to select first time customers, seemingly in an effort to CREATE a loyal customer. Considering some of the recent changes on celebrity and their new marketing direction, I'm betting you'll see them following the other lines when it comes to free upgrades.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

A similar post had been started recently, where I posted a response, however can not now find this.

We had been monitoring cabin availability for a number of weeks before booking. We decided to "take a punt" on a W guarantee suite, when I was aware that there were only 6 suites showing as available (those 6 suites had not changed in the previous 2 weeks). 2 RS, 1 CS, 1 S1 and 2 S2's, so it was worth a try.

We were allocated a cabin number one week after booking, and to our astonishment, we were given one of the RS!!!!! Whilst we are Elite passengers, we would certainly not be "the most cruised" on our vacation, as this is a TA with many Elite + and possibly some Zenith.

I am not sure of the rationale, but am extremely happy with the outcome, one of us is celebrating a "milestone" birthday this year, so this will be a nice way to celebrate.

We are currently booked on a GTY Suite (W) for a cruise in May. It shows that the Suites cabins are sold out for about a week now. We are still waiting to be assigned. For those who booked this category in the past, or have some knowledge,

1) Is is common for a GTY not to be assigned and yet, cruise line is saying SOLD OUT on their site. (other TA also shows SOLD OUT)

2) I guess my question for (1) is has anyone experienced that?

3) So I'm guessing it's an entry level Sky suite we'd be getting. Anyone ever got upgraded to a higher category than Sky (Celebrity, Royal, etc. while booking a GTY suite?) - wishful thinking, I'd be so thankful!!!

We have chosen GTY suites a few times. You probably will be given a handicapped sky suite. Typically they aren't always listed and saved for the last if available. The handicapped sky suites of fine- the only negative is that instead of a fancy bathtub, you have a large bathroom with a roll in shower. In addition, the closet configuration isn't the same or same size as the typical sky suites. While I truly prefer the layout and the bathroom in a regular sky suite, the handicapped suite is larger and you get the usual suite perks. Still a good bargain for a suite.

I have read of a couple of people getting a higher category-but this is an exception, not typical. Enjoy your cruise-

Edited by Cruise a holic

thanks everyone for your input,

Karyanne - a ROYAL suite, did you booked a GTY (W) Suite GTY?

Originally we had booked a Sky Suite. But after final payment, we saw that there were many higher Suites available. We had our TA wait until the Sky Suite category was sold-out, and then we had them take our orginal booking out of it's category, and put it into the GTY W category. We felt at the time that the least we could end up with would be the same Sky Suite we had orginally booked. The strategy worked well in our favor.

Also, we originally had paid a very high rate for our Sky Suite. After final payment, the fare dropped over $2000 per cabin. This MAY have been taken into consideration...but we'll never know for sure.

Karyn

We switched our concierge booking to a gty suite about three weeks ago for our upcoming cruise in May. I did the request through our TA on late Monday afternoon and by Tuesday morning we had been assigned the Royal Suite. We were definitely very happy, we were definitely not expecting that great of a room. We are select, becoming elite on this cruise (we missed elite by 20 points...but that's a thought for another thread). I am mid 30's and my spouse is mid 40's.

We were booked (and paid) in Aqua class for our Infinity cruise last October. When the price of the gtee suites came down, I phoned Celebrity, and paid extra to have a suite gtee. Ours was allocated the same day, the guy I'd spoken to at Celebrity actually phoned me back at home, and said 'are you sitting down, you've got a Celebrity suite' , lol

The difference was around £200 ea, which we decided was well worth it for a 12 night cruise.

Lou

OMG that's unheard of. Anyway, we've been trying to upgrade to GTY W for the longest time from CC. When the price was right last Monday, we paid an extra $400 each, to upgrade to W. Final payment is way way in the past. The whole week prior to that and this week been showing SOLD OUT. So here's hoping. So many happy stories, hopefully mine would be one of them. Only thing I didn't realize that is the accessible rooms which I don't think I want. We're both Elite, about 8 Celebrity cruises down our belt. Still hoping, checked a sec ago, still not showing anything. By the way, if I'd be so blessed :) :) and get an upgraded suite, does my point value be based on the new suite or what I previously booked?

Edited by FeelingCruisy

We switched our concierge booking to a gty suite about three weeks ago for our upcoming cruise in May. I did the request through our TA on late Monday afternoon and by Tuesday morning we had been assigned the Royal Suite. We were definitely very happy, we were definitely not expecting that great of a room. We are select, becoming elite on this cruise (we missed elite by 20 points...but that's a thought for another thread). I am mid 30's and my spouse is mid 40's.

Moonbaby:

Congrats. That's exactly what we did as well (pay the extra for Suite W from Concierge) and on the same day Monday for the same cruise. I'm so happy for you. What coincidence! Hoping for the same outcome. Btw, we used a TA and made the switch at 10AM. Any idea what time you switched?

Edited by FeelingCruisy

Moonbaby:

Congrats. That's exactly what we did as well (pay the extra for Suite W from Concierge) and on the same day Monday for the same cruise. I'm so happy for you. What coincidence! Hoping for the same outcome. Btw, we used a TA and made the switch at 10AM. Any idea what time you switched?

I called the TA around three pm and had the confirmation of booking by about 4:30. Maybe you will get that penthouse that was left! Fingers are crossed for you :)

That would be simply I N C R E D I B L E, although I did misread your post. We actually just switched this Monday, and really only been 4 days without a cabin.

Now my fingers are double crossed for you! This weekend that PH was the only suite available that we (my TA and I) could see, so hopefully it is yours. If so, expect me to knock on your door, I'd love a tour! :D

• 3 weeks later...
That would be simply I N C R E D I B L E, although I did misread your post. We actually just switched this Monday, and really only been 4 days without a cabin.

Any news on your room assignment? We are getting pretty close to time!:D

Last year on our Mediterranean cruise on the Equinox we’ve booked a specific balcony stateroom but then the price for a suite dropped significantly and we were able to upgrade to a suite GTY for only 80 dollars. When I’ve checked my Celebrity account we were immediately assigned a stateroom number and it was the first available sky suite. It was great, so no complains. But now I’m still wondering: if Celebrity gives you a stateroom number immediately, then there’s no chance of getting a better room because it’s no longer defined as GTY on one’s account?

Same thing this year: I’ve booked a oceanview stateroom GTY. On my Celebrity account I was assigned a stateroom number immediately (the first available in cat 8).

So the longer the wait for news the better??

So please update us on any news! You do take a chance with a GTY, but if you don't mind what happens, it is a good thing. I had a chance for a GTY for our cruise this June for a great price. However, when my TA called, the price was way too high for me to switch. Celebrity had new math formulas and neither was very good. Since I booked onboard and received cabin upgrades and lots of OBC, I wasn't too upset.

If you are tall, the S2's are not the greatest for showering. A friend of mine upgraded with a GTY w for a suite, but her DH had trouble with the shower and tub; he would have preferred to have a shower head that was higher instead of lower. If you are shorter, there is no issue!:)

Edited by Lastdance

Also, we originally had paid a very high rate for our Sky Suite. After final payment, the fare dropped over $2000 per cabin. This MAY have been taken into consideration...but we'll never know for sure. Karyn

I think you got the Royal Suite because you are such a nice person. ;)