What are the benfits of smaller ships?

Hi. I have cruised with RCCL 4 times and about to embark on my fith journey on the 12th. All our sailings have been on either the Voyager Class or the Freedom class so far. I still want to sail Oasis but havn't found the right deal for us yet. Anyway.... We have always been drawn to the newer, bigger ships. I guess we just have the newer/bigger is best mentality. We have enjoyed the activities like the Flow rider and the rock wall and such but I don't know that having them make or break our vacation. I see so many wonderful reviews of the smaller ships and wonder if we should try one out sometime.

So I would like to hear some comments from people that have experienced both the larger ships and smaller ships to understand if there is a benefit to trying out a smaller ship. I think it sounds like nice option for a more personal, intimate experience for a trip for my husband and I.

Nikki

I like the fact that it feels like I am on a ship and out at sea. I really enjoyed Grandeur. There are so many windows. When you are anywhere near the centrum you always have a view of the sea. I found on the bigger class ships I don't get as much of a sense of being out at sea.

Of course this is very much subjective - others may dislike this aspect.

Also cruises are a little less expensive on smaller ships. I have found I like them better. We don't need a lot of extra activities, mostly content with laying in the sun, eating and getting off in ports.

Also, what smaller ships have been upgraded/refirbed. I know I don't want to step on one that makes me feel like i stepped back in time.

You can look at this list and see which ships have completed the revitalization:

http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/General_Info/Flyers/12028421_Revit_QuickReference_Guide.pdf

Edited by clarea

Each class of ship has its own particular pluses and minuses and many have features unique to that particular class. The smaller ships can be easier to navigate, feel more intimate and may allow for more interaction between crew and guests but we find that all RCI ships, regardless of size, offer what they consider "Gold Standard Service". We have sailed on every class of RCI ship and have found reasons to include each size and ship among our favorites. The largest classes clearly have more bells and whistles but it may be that many of those extra features are of little or no interest to you. If all you want is a simple, relaxing cruise with a minimum of special features (no Ice Rink, Zip Line, Carousel,flow rider etc.) the smallest ships can fill the bill.

Hi. I have cruised with RCCL 4 times and about to embark on my fith journey on the 12th. All our sailings have been on either the Voyager Class or the Freedom class so far. I still want to sail Oasis but havn't found the right deal for us yet. Anyway.... We have always been drawn to the newer, bigger ships. I guess we just have the newer/bigger is best mentality. We have enjoyed the activities like the Flow rider and the rock wall and such but I don't know that having them make or break our vacation. I see so many wonderful reviews of the smaller ships and wonder if we should try one out sometime.

So I would like to hear some comments from people that have experienced both the larger ships and smaller ships to understand if there is a benefit to trying out a smaller ship. I think it sounds like nice option for a more personal, intimate experience for a trip for my husband and I.

Nikki

My RCL experiences started out with Explorer, Mariner, Mariner, Voyager, Freedom, Liberty.....

then BANG on to Majesty. I totally LOVED Majesty. Had a great time, and more surprising as it was immediately b2b from Liberty. Most recently I was on Oasis April 2013... followed by Rhapsody and Vision. Never once felt like "oh gee, I wish I was back on Oasis".

You will feel great on all classes of ships. They all have their virtues. I think after 4 cruises on the larger classes this is a perfect time to try a smaller class. What cruise are you on the 12th? A smaller class or larger? I recommend VOS for a try... great prices and excellent 4 port itineraries out of Tampa, or the great itineraries on Jewel out of San Juan. I've been on each class and have had a great time no matter what. Happy cruising :D

My RCL experiences started out with Explorer, Mariner, Mariner, Voyager, Freedom, Liberty.....

then BANG on to Majesty. I totally LOVED Majesty. Had a great time, and more surprising as it was immediately b2b from Liberty. Most recently I was on Oasis April 2013... followed by Rhapsody and Vision. Never once felt like "oh gee, I wish I was back on Oasis".

You will feel great on all classes of ships. They all have their virtues. I think after 4 cruises on the larger classes this is a perfect time to try a smaller class. What cruise are you on the 12th? A smaller class or larger? I recommend VOS for a try... great prices and excellent 4 port itineraries out of Tampa, or the great itineraries on Jewel out of San Juan. I've been on each class and have had a great time no matter what. Happy cruising :D

We are on Independance on the 12th. Taking the kids for the first time so we knew a larget ship would be the better choice with all the activities and H2O zone.

We are on Independance on the 12th. Taking the kids for the first time so we knew a larget ship would be the better choice with all the activities and H2O zone.

Ah... yes, with kids perfect (Flowrider, skating, rockwall, H2O Zone, etc etc). As you mentioned in your original post "I think it sounds like nice option for a more personal, intimate experience for a trip for my husband and I" I think you will be extremely pleased with the smaller classes. Have a great cruise btw :)

We love the Radiance-class ships. They are the perfect size, probably the most beautiful ships afloat, and easy to get anywhere on the ship. If all the bells 'n whistles of the larger ships are really not important, then trying a smaller ship might be a very pleasant experience.

We have only done small/medium ships on RCCL (Serenade and Grandeur). We are doing Freedom in a few short weeks. We are actually a bit "concerned" about her size and the lack of shipy feel. We did prefer Serenade to Grandeur though, so we may love Freedom. My goal is to try each class. Not sure we are ready for Oasis though. Adventure might be our next cruise. :D

Nikki

Hi Nikki,

I've just gotten back from my fourth Royal sailing -- Legend of the Seas (also have done Majesty, Oasis and Enchantment). What I've found with smaller ships is that they do offer a more intimate experience. I got to know far more people on Legend and Enchantment than I ever did on Oasis. In the case of Legend and Majesty, they're both older ships in addition to being small. With those, I think the focus is more on the itineraries than the ships; Majesty sails short cruises, so it offers value to someone looking to just get away for a long weekend. Meanwhile, my Legend sailing was 15 days through the Panama Canal and South America, which meant my attention was on the canal crossing and the ports, rather than the ship. I learned that I prefer larger ships for longer sailings, but smaller ones are fine for quick jaunts (six days or less). :)

We like the smaller ships for the more intimate cruise experience. You wull get to know both crew and fellow passengers better on the smaller ships. It would depend on what type of sailing experience you are looking for. The smaller ships have a slower pace...as in...take time to smell the roses along the way...sort of atmosphere. They offer all the same activities... bingo...line dancing...quest...trivia and more. Much more peaceful atmosphere. The larger ships seem to have more of a hustle and bustle atmosphere.

I do not mind the older ships, but they are older with less to do. But since they are smaller they may be able to dock in some ports that the larger ships need to tender in. Also the newer ships seem to have a larger price tag.

I like the fact that it feels like I am on a ship and out at sea. I really enjoyed Grandeur. There are so many windows. When you are anywhere near the centrum you always have a view of the sea. I found on the bigger class ships I don't get as much of a sense of being out at sea.

Of course this is very much subjective - others may dislike this aspect.

I agree in that, the smaller ships make you feel like your are on a ship an out to sea. They are more intimate as well.

Things like the 70's dance parties are much more fun in the Centrum on smaller ships than in the Royal Promenade on larger ships. The more intimate setting is more participatory - you are definitely part of the action.

Edited by kccrzr

I love the Vision class ships because I can really tell I'm at sea - lots of places from which you can see the water. I'm trying the Radiance class for the first time next year and suspect I like those too. I'm not traveling with kids as a general rule, so I don't really miss the ice skating rink, Flow Rider and other big-ship amenities. It's all a matter of taste, though - many people seem to prefer the big ships.

I was a little concerned about the smaller size of Serenade last summer, but was so pleasantly surprised! The smaller feel, plus all the glass made everything very open. The outside seating at the WJ and CL were an added bonus!!

I know I will sound like the old Herman's Hermits song...."second verse same as the first".

We too love the more intimate feel of the smaller (almost cough calling any of them small). Some earlier of made comments about stepping back in time on the non-mega ships. When you consider that most of the RCI ships were built less than 15 years ago you would be "going back" maybe a whole decade. It's not like the old black and white movies where people sit on deck, on wooden chairs with blankets on their laps reading all day.

The smaller ships have such a greater advantage in the number of ports you can visit. It is my belief (please correct me softly if I am wrong) that there are only about 5 or 6 islands where the Oasis class can go...and two of them are Royal's making.

Someone also mentioned that if one loves to have 24 hour entertainment or only when they want then Royal Caribbean has something for everyone.

No matter the ship have a great cruise.

On Freedom, we didn't feel much movement, but we still felt like we were at sea. On Allure, we never felt like we were at sea. It was just like being in a hotel. Very few places to look outside at the water and very little movement (great weather). On Grandeur, this last cruise, we felt like were always at sea. Movement, visibility, etc. I like some motion, but we had more than enough on GR lol.

I think our perfect ship is EX because we get a little of everything. I'm afraid Quantum (we're going in fall 2015) will be like AL with all the indoor space. We really liked EN too and I wasn't happy when they moved it from Baltimore.

The real benefit on a small ship is seeing the same people all the time (guests and crew). It's definitely more intimate.

Edited by BND

Some simple answers,

The smaller ships can embark from different ports that the bigger ships can't, like Tampa. There are some ports the bigger ships can't get to. Tendering is usually faster on the smaller ships.

Usually a bigger adult to kid ration on the smaller ships, but that isn't always the case.

Thanks for all the great responses. DH and I have recently gotten into going to Adult only all-inclusives on our personal vacations when we don't have the kids. We love our children of course, but when we are on vacation without them, we want to really get away.:D We also enjoy the very relaxed environment of the resorts.

I love cruising and was thinking the smaller ships might be more intimate and offer the same feel of that just "chill" atmosphere as a resort. It looks like they probably do. And even though they are not adult only, I am sure being that they offer less of the playground amenities like the FLow rider, that they would have fewer kids on board. Especially during regular school sessions.

Maybe someday I will convince DH it is worthwhile sailing on a smaller ship. I hope so.

Thanks again!