St Petersburg

Chatham33

Depends on your interests

I would say a week is not enough but if you only have 3 days you can see enough to make you either want to go back or say you have seen it all

SPB is a large city with lots of places to see as well as places on the outskirts of the city

YMMV

Lyn

Hi,

Using one of the highly recommended tour companies...2 was good for getting a great sampling of some that there is to see and do...and we did a night tour/canal ride/vodka tasting as well...so it made for one heck of a long day/night and early next morning..but well worth it ! 3 days would probably have been more ideal...and perhaps a bit less rushed.

Enjoy

Woody

Edited by rwr235

St. Petersburg in the summer is endlessly fascinating. If you can hook up with a group of expats you can fill many days and nights with interesting activities. The two-day visit included as part of most Baltic cruises barely suffices for a taste of the city. Any of the several private excursion companies is preferable to (and a lot cheaper than) most anything arranged by the cruise company. (In my opinion, of course.)

2 days is sufficient.

We loved it but most tour guides tales end with 'and he was assassinated' and once you have seen one guilded gold room or malachite column you have seen them all.

Dont get me wrong, its wonderful but its also quite samey.

Hermitage and Peterhof are the highlights and the Bolshoi ballet isnt the famous cast in the summer months as they are touring instead. Book a Vodka tasting for the evening...fantastic!

THE Hermitage alone could take a week. Best done by land not on a cruise.

My wife and I were on a Princess Baltic cruise two years ago. Spent the better part of a day at the Hermitage. It was a disappointment. Most of the art was second rate, whether Masters or Impressionists. Much better would be the Ryksmuseum in Amsterdam with the Van Gogh collection across the street. We didn't get to see the palaces and that would have been a better choice.

Glenn:cool:

If you are gay or lesbian or an ally, maybe not at all. We did two days when the worst of the legislation was in place in SPB only before it spread to the rest of the country. It was nice to sail away and have no need to go back at all.