Shorts for Dinner

mabryhouse

I did a search and found information form 2012. Can dress shorts and a nice shirt be worn in the main dining room for dinner (male or female). I leave in a week and if I have to pack pant, then I need another suitcase. Please help.

Dress Code Guidelines from Princess:

Princess makes it easy to know what to pack and what to wear when you’re dining onboard our spectacular ships. There are two designations for dress codes: Smart Casual and Formal.

Smart Casual

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what they would wear to a nice restaurant at home.

Skirts/dresses, slacks, and sweaters for ladies

Pants and open-neck shirts for men

Inappropriate dinner wear such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes) are not permitted in the dining rooms.

Shoes must be worn.

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

On the Ruby Princess's short cruise, the maitre d' relaxed the dress code and allowed passengers to wear shorts. I was surprised in December when we took our first 4-night cruise. It was not a surprise last Month when we did a 5-night cruise.

This question has been posted on this forum site many times.

Please people, try to follow the guidlines re:dress code!

Those of us that are mindful of the guidlines would appreciate your courtesy.

If you only have room for shorts and shirts,please consider having dinner at the buffet.

My DH and I have sailed on many cruises on Princess. Sometimes,we choose the buffet over the MDR or choose the Crown Grill.

It is a good thing that Princess offers a number of venues for dinner,so that passengers have choices regarding dinner plans and approprite clothing.

Yup. They allowed it on the RUBY last week. 5 night. I saw several older gentlemen wearing them. I asked the lady working the door 'shorts are allowed?' She said yes, except for formal night.

So there you go. BTW we had a wonderful cruise. Everything everyone posted about RUBY and Great Service was spot on.

Edited by DENNAS

This question has been posted on this forum site many times.

Please people, try to follow the guidlines re:dress code!

Those of us that are mindful of the guidlines would appreciate your courtesy.

If you only have room for shorts and shirts,please consider having dinner at the buffet.

My DH and I have sailed on many cruises on Princess. Sometimes,we choose the buffet over the MDR or choose the Crown Grill.

It is a good thing that Princess offers a number of venues for dinner,so that passengers have choices regarding dinner plans and approprite clothing.

First of all, I have never worn shorts to the MDR for dinner on any cruise line and probably never will. That being said, I do not concern myself with what others choose to wear and for the life of me cannot understand why others concern themselves with it. How do you know if someone is wearing shorts in the MDR unless you see them walk by you. Do folks really spend time on their hands and knees peaking and crawling under the tables?:rolleyes:

Once again, the schizophrenic Princess posts the requirements and then doesn't follow their own stated policies. :rolleyes: What may be allowed on one ship may not be on another. What may be OK for a short cruise might not be allowed on a longer itinerary.

On the Ruby Princess's short cruise, the maitre d' relaxed the dress code and allowed passengers to wear shorts. I was surprised in December when we took our first 4-night cruise. It was not a surprise last Month when we did a 5-night cruise.

I saw shorts on our Ruby cruise last month. I tend to think things are a little more relaxed on Caribbean cruises. The Maitre'D on our Hawaii cruise in October was very strict.

Denise

First of all, I have never worn shorts to the MDR for dinner on any cruise line and probably never will. That being said, I do not concern myself with what others choose to wear and for the life of me cannot understand why others concern themselves with it. How do you know if someone is wearing shorts in the MDR unless you see them walk by you. Do folks really spend time on their hands and knees peaking and crawling under the tables?:rolleyes:

I agree. Personally, I like to dress for dinner when I'm on a cruise, but I couldn't care less what others wear. If the Maitre'D lets them in good for them.

Denise

Well so far it appears that things have become sadly lax on the Ruby. But the OP is on the Crown so I would not make packing decisions based on what is slipping by on another ship. Personally I like to follow the posted guidelines...just funny that way I guess. :rolleyes:

Edited by karatemom2

Sounds like this is the OP first Princess Cruise. If you following the posted Princess dress code you should be fine. Princess is a bit different then Carnival.

We have done three of the short West Coast cruises in the past three months, one on the Golden and two on the Sapphire. We did not observe anyone in shorts in the dining rooms at dinner. Jeans and capris yes, but no shorts.

I'm sure much of the decision of turning someone away has to do with what TYPE of shorts are they wearing. There is a big difference between cutoff jean shorts and "dressy" shorts. For example, I can't imaging the maitre d' turning away outfits such as this (which IMO look much classier than many outfits I've seen in the MDR):

shorts3.jpg.bd431e560a10544b63c1f527b38d526b.jpg

Sounds like this is the OP first Princess Cruise. If you following the posted Princess dress code you should be fine. Princess is a bit different then Carnival.

Yes, and Kim (OP) will be sailing on Crown Princess.

We were on Crown in January and shorts were NOT allowed for dinner in the MDR.

LuLu

~~~

On our recent Island Princess cruise I saw a young woman (mid 20s maybe) enter the MDR in fairly short shorts and matching top.

However, OP, I can't imagine you will need another suitcase for one pair of dress pants! Take out one pair of shorts, or a pair of shoes, add the pants! On our 15 day trip I could have managed with only one pair of black pants, although I did pack two pair. And I usually changed out of the pants soon after dinner, so they didn't get much wear!

Happy cruising!

Has anyone seen shorts allowed in the MDR for dinner other than on those short cruises Ruby is currently doing?

LuLu

~~~

Unfortunately, yes. Although it's a rather moot point now, they allowed shorts, tshirts, ballcaps, etc on the Sapphire 4 day last month. It was a different ballgame, that's for sure. I wasn't impressed.

Edited by brentlym

My additional two cents......

Of course,I would not think of checking under tables to check outfits,but I have observed two diners being shown to a table at the Sterling Steakhouse on an Alaskan cruise over ten years ago dressed in cutoff jeans and tank tops.

Now,anyone can wear what they choose-but,if there is a dress code, then the code is something that passengers consider and Princess needs to make and follow a policy fleet-wide.

On other note,men who wear shorts in Bermuda wear them with a shirt,tie and jacket along with high dark socks and polished shoes for business and to dine in restaurants such as the Four Ways Inn and the Waterlot Inn.