Freedom vs Oasis

Ship vs. Ship.

I can compare cost, itinerary, etc on my own, so let's just assume everything else is the same... How do these 2 ships compare?

Pros/Cons of each?

Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are my two favorite classes of ships. They both have their strong points and I can't think of any major negatives of either.

Freedom is the perfect size ship, it sails out of Port Canaveral, and has just about anything you could want on a ship. It is generally slightly more affordable than Oasis, but it is one of the best ships at sea. In my eyes, it is the best all-around ship.

Oasis is in a league of its own. The neighborhoods, dining options, and sheer size make it so unique. I'd recommend everybody who enjoys cruising try Oasis at some point. It's massive, yet manageable, and never feels crowded. It's just such a unique experience.

I like the options and amenities that Oasis provides, yet like the fact that Freedom feels more like a ship than a resort.

Our last cruise was on Oasis and our next is on Allure, but after that, we will go back to Voyager and Freedom class ships. Like I said, I think they are two of the best classes of ships at sea, it just depends on what type of cruise you are looking for.

I agree with Kruzerci. I always describe Freedom as "Voyager on steroids." It has the same amenities, the Promenade, Pub, rock climbing, flow rider, etc. but with more room. For me the extra width of the Promenade is a noticeable feature. Freedom is definitely one of my favorite classes.

But Oasis is a destination of it's own. It has everything Freedom has, plus much, much more. You can take a leisurely walk after dinner in Central Park. Ride the carousel on the Boardwalk. Dine in 150 Central Park for an upscale experience, or have great burgers in Johnnie Rockets. Oasis offers so many dining choices, that a visit to the Windjammer is just not in the cards for me. A healthier breakfast in the Solarium, a "diner experience" at Johnnie Rockets, etc.

There are 2 flow riders, one for stand-up surfing, one for knee boards. The zip line, 2 rock climbing walls, a Broadway Play, Aqua show, etc.

So, depends what you want. I have done Freedom 3 times and are booked again in Nov. I have done Oasis and Allure twice each. I will do them all again.

My recommendation, for me, all things equal, I'd do Oasis.

Given everything else was the same (cost, itinerary, dates) there is no question I would pick Oasis. But I am a very active person that enjoys walking everywhere and taking the stairs.

There is so much to see on Oasis. The aqua and production shows are more extravagant. There are a couple more casual free food options - Park Café and Wipe Out grill, and many more specialty options.

If I could only pick one cruise - it would be Oasis. It's on a separate level. Amazing public spaces, room options, technology, maintenance, crew...

Buts that's me. If your less mobile, and enjoy going to the windjammer buffet for meals .... you may prefer Freedom.

If everything is the same as in cost etc I would also pick the Oasis for sure. There is just so much more to see and do, eat and drink!!

We have been on both, last year we picked the Allure as the Freedom was more $$.

This year we picked the Freedom as the Oasis/Allure were a lot more $$

Edited by molly361

They are my two favorite classes of ships. They both have their strong points and I can't think of any major negatives of either.

Freedom is the perfect size ship, it sails out of Port Canaveral, and has just about anything you could want on a ship. It is generally slightly more affordable than Oasis, but it is one of the best ships at sea. In my eyes, it is the best all-around ship.

Oasis is in a league of its own. The neighborhoods, dining options, and sheer size make it so unique. I'd recommend everybody who enjoys cruising try Oasis at some point. It's massive, yet manageable, and never feels crowded. It's just such a unique experience.

I like the options and amenities that Oasis provides, yet like the fact that Freedom feels more like a ship than a resort.

Our last cruise was on Oasis and our next is on Allure, but after that, we will go back to Voyager and Freedom class ships. Like I said, I think they are two of the best classes of ships at sea, it just depends on what type of cruise you are looking for.

I concur!!

We sailed Oasis last year and will board Allure in 3wks.

It is my DH and myself. (I am 49 yrs young and he is 50 years old! :p)

We chose Allure this year just to say, "been there, done that," and because my husband wants to try the hot dogs!:D

The Oasis class of ships has so many bells and whistles that we don't use. We do like the pools better. Even though the size is vast, we found Oasis very easy to navigate around. There is many more people, but we didn't find it to be crowded. Love the walking/running track so much more!!!!

FOS is wonderful. In fact it was our other choice for this year, but pricing won out on Allure.

That being said, you have to write down the pros and cons of what is important to you. i.e. price, experience, amenities, itinerary, etc.....

It really is a hard decision. I say to go for Oasis, for the shear fact of the experience, if you can afford it, but FOS will NOT disappoint you.

Happy sailing~

Edited by Scootch

Great information here; thank you.

Any difficulties getting reservations on Oasis due to so many people?

Last year Oasis was booking very quickly and we were booking 4 months in advance. This year for Allure, we were just booking in February for April and the TA said that there was lots of open cabins.

It's like asking which of your children you like better :D

Kidding aside, we like both the Freedom and Oasis class ships for all of the reasons posted. This year, we will do one cruise on each. :)

Now, can't wait to try Anthem of the Seas in 2015.

I'll take Freedom every time:

- Oasis is just too big. Too many people, too big a ship, nothing extra that really seems appealing.

- Freedom is generally less expensive.

- Freedom stops at more islands, whereas Oasis has an extra sea day.

- Freedom sails from Port Canaveral, which is an easier drive for us. Obviously, this won't matter to everyone.

Edited by MrsPete

It's like asking which of your children you like better :D

Kidding aside, we like both the Freedom and Oasis class ships for all of the reasons posted. This year, we will do one cruise on each. :)

Now, can't wait to try Anthem of the Seas in 2015.

Haha! I get it though!!

I'll take Freedom every time:

- Oasis is just too big. Too many people, too big a ship, nothing extra that really seems appealing.

- Freedom sails from Port Canaveral, which is an easier drive for us. Obviously, this won't matter to everyone.

Just out of curiousity, have you sailed on Oasis? That seems like the general assumption of people who haven't tried Oasis. I've found that most people who sail on Oasis can agree that the ship is so well planned out that it rarely if ever feels crowded. It felt very uncrowded and a manageable size to us.

Just out of curiousity, have you sailed on Oasis? That seems like the general assumption of people who haven't tried Oasis. I've found that most people who sail on Oasis can agree that the ship is so well planned out that it rarely if ever feels crowded. It felt very uncrowded and a manageable size to us.

I totally agree with this statement. I was on Oasis last year, and it was my first cruise with my family (our first really family vacation in a very very long time), anyway, I didn't feel it was over crowded at all. he time where it was crowded was Windjammer on sea days and the Promenade during the parades. In the middle of the saling, someone mentioned that there was over 6200 passengers, and I was thinking what, there are over 6200 people on board?!?! I didn't feel like there was that many people on board.

Not to take away from the OP, but I didn't want to start another post and this thread kinda goes with my question when comparing the two ships...

I'll be sailing on Freedom in November, and I wanted to know how big the closet is in an interior cabin. To put in perceptive, I was in a inside Broadwalk balcony cabin. How do they compare? I know probably a lot smaller but how much?

I was in your situation back in the fall when i picked my up coming cruise. The oasis oceanview balconey was cheaper then a Freedom balconey so of course we picked the Oasis :) But either ship will be a great pick

Hmmmm...RCI needs to update this for the Navigator.

One thing to consider if flying -- Ft. Lauderdale airport is much closer to the ship. With the Freedom OTS, you have a long transfer from Orlando.

Edited by Jimnbigd

• 3 weeks later...
Read my complaints again:

Three of the four items have nothing to do with overcrowding. It's a fact that Freedom is less expensive (the vast majority of the time anyway), it does stop at an extra island, and it is several hours closer to our home. None of these can be "fixed" by giving it a try. The first complaint -- lots of "extra" with nothing that really appeals to us -- that one is an opinion, but I know for certain that the zip line, Central Park, and more paid dinner venues just aren't appealing to us. Nothing about Oasis makes me say, "Oh, this'll be worth the extra price and extra drive and giving up an island stop!"

I have no desire to try Oasis. If it were a free trip, we'd go; however, since that's not likely to happen, we're just not interested.

Edited by MrsPete

I have sailed Freedom three times (most recently August 2013) and just came off Oasis (April 12-19).

I don't agree with those that said it never seemed crowded. I felt that it was appropriately crowded for 6200 passengers and a ship that was that much bigger than Freedom. I got a great price, and was happy that we sailed on her, but my family came to the decision that the new and different offerings were not enough of a game changer to us to pay more for an Oasis class ship over Freedom.

That said, we have our air booked for our August end of summer trip. Timing of those flights means either Allure or Freedom. Whichever one comes in at a better price for us will be the one we choose. I will not be unhappy on Allure (want to try Rita's, Samba Grill, Hot Dog Hut, and see Chicago and Ocean Aria) but if Freedom comes in lower, we will be happy to be returning to her.

I have sailed Freedom three times (most recently August 2013) and just came off Oasis (April 12-19).

I don't agree with those that said it never seemed crowded. I felt that it was appropriately crowded for 6200 passengers and a ship that was that much bigger than Freedom. I got a great price, and was happy that we sailed on her, but my family came to the decision that the new and different offerings were not enough of a game changer to us to pay more for an Oasis class ship over Freedom.

That said, we have our air booked for our August end of summer trip. Timing of those flights means either Allure or Freedom. Whichever one comes in at a better price for us will be the one we choose. I will not be unhappy on Allure (want to try Rita's, Samba Grill, Hot Dog Hut, and see Chicago and Ocean Aria) but if Freedom comes in lower, we will be happy to be returning to her.

The first cruise I ever took was on May 5th 2012 on Oasis and it did not seem crowded. But my wife and I went on our honeymoon on May 5th on Allure and it seemed like a mad house. We had fun but you could never get a chair at the pool the top deck was full. I was thankful we got a balcony. The Samba grill was good just remember to enter on the port side or you will be going in through the exit. We are going on Freedom next year and have an Aft balcony so hopefully it wont feel as crowded.

I've sailed both. Oasis is a great ship especially for the entertainment. I lean toward Freedom class though. While there are more venues on the Oasis, a lot are smaller to fit on the ship. A lot of the places don't have any windows to see the ocean outside, like all the food places in Central Park and most on the boardwalk.

After reading all of these comments, I'm so happy we booked FOS for our B2B in September. That's not saying we won't ever sail on an Oasis class ship; we definitely want to some day. We're already very comfortable with the Voyager layout, so I know we will with FOS. It will just be my husband and I (early 50's) looking for a couple weeks of r&r. We enjoy the MDR, with one night each week in a specialty restaurant will be just fine.

I came so close to booking Allure, it was literally a toss up. Allure was about $3300 more than FOS for a B2B in an ocean view balcony for our weeks, so that sealed the deal. And, we get to stay in our same room for both weeks. :)

Edited by jules815

Ship vs. Ship.

I can compare cost, itinerary, etc on my own, so let's just assume everything else is the same... How do these 2 ships compare?

Pros/Cons of each?

Thanks!!

I'm off to read the thread before commenting (further :) ) I loved both. Freedom was 6 years ago, and after 2 trips on Allure my wife said Allure was her favorite, but I need to go back on Freedom again to refresh my memory. I will be back on her next year.

Manageable is a keyword in your statement and I had the same reaction you did to that post. But manageable implies doing some managment. If you were the type who had to go to the windjammer as soon as you boarded, had to be at the center of the promenade for every parades I could where some people might think too many people, but I prepared for the trip and could "manage" things so I never felt crowded. Of course this forum and the roll calls helped.

I love the Oasis more than any other ship!! I really enjoy Central Park and the Park Cafe. I also enjoy the Boardwalk. We are booked on it again for July 2015. We are also booked on the Freedom for March!! The Freedom was waaaaaaay cheaper. Maybe it had to do with the time of year. I like both class of ships for various reasons!! In fact, I just LOVE cruising!!!!:D