When are Formal Nights

Ali-Manchester63

We are going our first cruise later this year.

It is for 14 nights around the Med and we have been advised there will be 3 formal nights.

It's our son's birthday on the 3rd day of our cruise (he'll be 17) and just trying to plan what to do that day/night (it is a sea day).

When do we find out which nights will be formal?

When booking a speciality restaurant is this better done on a formal or non-formal night?

Any suggestions/tips would be appreciated

Thanks for your help

We haven't been dressing formally on formal nights lately, opting for dining at Crown Grill instead. Dining in one of the speciality restaurants would be a great way to celebrate.

I took a look at the itinerary, which looks wonderful by the way, but it's not one I've been on so I can't offer any insight on formal nights. An educated guess would likely be way off.

I suggest you make a speciality restaurant booking soon after boarding if you're interested in doing that.

Enjoy your cruise...

Lew

We did the eleven day Med cruise last summer. We rented a tux, but my husband failed to try it on right away, and it fit terribly - really terribly. He wore it anyway, but most men just had suits on. We should have saved our money and just brought a suit from home - it would have looked better and been entirely appropriate.

We did the eleven day Med cruise last summer. We rented a tux, but my husband failed to try it on right away, and it fit terribly - really terribly. He wore it anyway, but most men just had suits on. We should have saved our money and just brought a suit from home - it would have looked better and been entirely appropriate.

We always recommend a tux be tried on as soon as it arrives. You steward can arrange a quick exchange or alterations if necessary.

Lew

Sure is convienent though to find it ready in your cabin.

Also to be able to leave it there at the end of the cruise. ;)

Is it the Emerald 14 night RT Southhampton? If yes, I would think the formal nights would be Day 3, Day 11 after Monte Carlo, and day 13 after Gibraltar. Check the Princess Patter which will be in your cabin(s) on boarding day. Formal nights are for dress in the Main Dining Rooms. The Crown Grill and Sabatini's are smart casual all the time. The buffet, Crab Shack ($20 surcharge), International Cafe, Grill, pizza, are casual all the time. The so called "special" meals are served in the dining rooms on formal nights. So if you don't want to miss them select another night for the Surcharge restaurants.

Tux (or black tie as we say in the UK) isn't a problem as we have them already. But this has given me another question.

Am I correct in assuming from some of the posts that Formal night wear is only for main dining rooms and speciality dining rooms are 'smart casual' on formal nights???

We are quite looking forward to formal nights but wouldn't want to dress formal if nobody else was in one of the speciality dining rooms.

Sorry I'm just a bit confused as it's our first cruise.

Thanks sknight - you've cleared up my confusion :)

Edited by Ali-Manchester63

Tux (or black tie as we say in the UK) isn't a problem as we have them already. But this has given me another question.

Am I correct in assuming from some of the posts that Formal night wear is only for main dining rooms and speciality dining rooms are 'smart casual' on formal nights???

We are quite looking forward to formal nights but wouldn't want to dress formal if nobody else was in one of the speciality dining rooms.

On our last cruise (our last three were two week cruises so three formal nights on each one), we were given a complimentary dinner (long story why) in Sabatinis. There were only about two other tables being used at that time and people seemed to be a little more dressed up than smart casual that night, but I'm guessing you'll be fine whether smart casual or formal in there. Unless there's many wanting the same night in a specialty restaurant (such as for Valentine's Day, or if there's many couples celebrating their anniversary on the same date), there shouldn't be any problems getting a reservation for your choice of nights and times. I don't know the percentage of passengers who don't bother with a specialty restaurant (we wouldn't have eaten there if it wasn't complimentary, and probably won't go again in the future) but again, I wouldn't worry about getting in if you want (on some cruises, the head waiter will ask around at dinner, offering to make ressies).

As stated above, you'll find out by checking the first day's Patter as to which dinners are formal. You won't be able to reserve anything before your cruise anyway.

That would be correct. However we have found many dressed up in the specialty restaurants on formal evening regardless.

Am I correct in assuming from some of the posts that Formal night wear is only for main dining rooms and specialty dining rooms are 'smart casual' on formal nights???

Yes, you are correct, but you would definitely not be out of place in the Crown Grill or Sabatini's in formal wear. Many dress in formal wear on formal nights for these restaurants, and even on non formal nights with a sport jacket/nice dress. My observation is that on voyages in Europe many dress in formal wear, and stay dressed throughout the entire evening in all venues. Many more than say a voyage in the Caribbean.