Recent concierge lounge experience

Again, the CL is a perk granted to D+, but is really there for Suite occupants.

This the last time I will say NOT TRUE, NOT TRUE, NOT TRUE

To clarify... originally, many years ago, the CL was for suite guests.

That was then... today is today, and RCCL has said that the CL is EQUALLY for suite guests, Pinnacle and D+.

Bottom line: no one (gold card, Pinnacle, D+) is MORE entitled to lounge access than the other. All have equal access to it!

And... one final word in agreement with many posts...

We find the CL to be made up of many, many wonderful people. We have great times there and have made many friends over the years. The behavior cited by the OP is the EXCEPTION. I don't care whether you got to the lounge by gold or status. It doesn't matter to me or to RCCL. And yes, if you walk in the door, you may see me looking at you. Why? because I simply want to know if it may be someone I know. Period.

Thanks!

Can you have any bottle of beer, or glass of wine, for example. Or is there certain criteria (domestic beer, house wine).

No, there is only brand of each type of wine (red -not sure which, chardonnay and white zinfandel and a sparkling wine) and a list of about 5 or 6 beers. On Grandeur there was a list in the DL, on other ships we've been on we haven't seen a list for either the CL or DL, but it's consistent across the line. I have had the experience of having a peach bellini on Allure but when I asked on GR, I was told that wasn't included.

That was then... today is today, and RCCL has said that the CL is EQUALLY for suite guests, Pinnacle and D+.

Bottom line: no one (gold card, Pinnacle, D+) is MORE entitled to lounge access than the other. All have equal access to it!

We find the CL to be made up of many, many wonderful people. We have great times there and have made many friends over the years. The behavior cited by the OP is the EXCEPTION. I don't care whether you got to the lounge by gold or status. It doesn't matter to me or to RCCL. And yes, if you walk in the door, you may see me looking at you. Why? because I simply want to know if it may be someone I know. Period.

Not true now, but I fully expect that D+ will not be in the CL that much longer. The point some are making is that the CL was created for Suite guests and at this time D+ and Pinnacle have equal access.

We have met many wonderful people in both CL and DL, but we have also had the experience of observing and hearing entitled, rude ones too. Anyone who thinks it's not rude to snap your fingers and yell across the CL (or suite breakfast area) is out of their mind. That behavior was embarassing to watch and the cruiser who did it was a D+ jerk. He and his wife constantly bragged about everywhere they had ever been and treated the crew like their personal servants. It was disgusting. This was on EX on the member's cruise in Nov 2012 which meant they were far from the only top tier members onboard. The concierge was so busy dealing with the D+ and Pinnacle, he barely had time for the suite guests. Another reason I will never go on a Member's cruise again. We will be D+ after our Nov cruise, but we still are just as polite to the crew and other passengers as we were on our first cruise. Point is, people who are bragging about their status, etc have only changed what they're saying when they reach their "status" and haven't changed as people.

It isn't all that unique to be a D+ anymore and that is the reason I believe the time in the CL is limited.

Edited by BND

OP here. I also met some very nice people and enjoyed sitting and talking and sharing a drink. Hope I get to meet them on a cruise again.

Bottom line - I am just happy to be cruising and love Royal...

No, there is only brand of each type of wine (red -not sure which, chardonnay and white zinfandel and a sparkling wine) and a list of about 5 or 6 beers. On Grandeur there was a list in the DL, on other ships we've been on we haven't seen a list for either the CL or DL, but it's consistent across the line. I have had the experience of having a peach bellini on Allure but when I asked on GR, I was told that wasn't included.

My request for clarification was based on the feature where they load your seapass with 3 drinks every day. I know the choices in the CL are limited (which is why I don't drink beer or wine in the CL).

So are you saying the same criteria (domestic beer/bottom of the barrel Cab) applies to the drinks you order when they load the 3 drinks on your seapass?

Also, do they limit the hours these drinks can be ordered at the various bars around the ship?

Thanks.

I look forward to the CL privilege on our next cruise. My plan for any sourpuss self appointed CL cops that may be around?

I will just be so friendly and nice that they can't possibly be rude to me without making a big scene. This has always worked for me. :)

My request for clarification was based on the feature where they load your seapass with 3 drinks every day. I know the choices in the CL are limited (which is why I don't drink beer or wine in the CL).

So are you saying the same criteria (domestic beer/bottom of the barrel Cab) applies to the drinks you order when they load the 3 drinks on your seapass?

Also, do they limit the hours these drinks can be ordered at the various bars around the ship?

Thanks.

Yes, same criteria for drink selection as if you are in the CL.

I did a little research last night, and I believe RC is the only cruise line that offers a concierge and lounge to high loyalty cruisers. Some lines, like Celebrity, do not have a lounge even for the suite passengers, although they do give butler service. Most loyalty programs offer some kind of amenity - most offer expedited check in, expedited departure, priority tendering, some offer free laundry, but I haven't seen anyone offer access to a concierge.

I did a little research last night, and I believe RC is the only cruise line that offers a concierge and lounge to high loyalty cruisers. Some lines, like Celebrity, do not have a lounge even for the suite passengers, although they do give butler service. Most loyalty programs offer some kind of amenity - most offer expedited check in, expedited departure, priority tendering, some offer free laundry, but I haven't seen anyone offer access to a concierge.

Celebrity's Loyalty Ambassador is somewhat equivalent to a concierge.

Thanks.

Everything I've read (there are several threads on here about it) says the hours are limited to the lounge happy hour hours so, 4:30-8 on ships with 5:30 and 8:00 pm seatings and 5-8:30 on ships with 6 and 8:30 seatings. The "free" drinks then disappear off the card each evening.

Edited by BND

FYI, Celebrity is re-vamping their suite program. If I recall correctly, starting sometime in 2015, higher level suites will have a special lounge (perhaps Michael's club, then private). I am not sure all the details are yet known, certainly those details are not known to me as yet. I am not sure if some of the highest level loyalty members will be allowed in the new lounge...time will tell.

Thanks.

Yes, same criteria for drink selection as if you are in the CL.

This may still be evolving or may vary a bit by ship/cruise. On our recent IOS cruise, I believe there were minor additions to the voucher drink list at bars vs the CL/DL. I could get Pinot Grizio with the voucher, but I do not think it was available in the lounges (I could be wrong, as I mostly drink red wine). Same with Bailey's (again, not a big Bailey's drinker, so I could be wrong about the stash in lounges). For reds it was St Martin Cab or Merlot either way.

Not true now, but I fully expect that D+ will not be in the CL that much longer. The point some are making is that the CL was created for Suite guests and at this time D+ and Pinnacle have equal access.

We have met many wonderful people in both CL and DL, but we have also had the experience of observing and hearing entitled, rude ones too. Anyone who thinks it's not rude to snap your fingers and yell across the CL (or suite breakfast area) is out of their mind. That behavior was embarassing to watch and the cruiser who did it was a D+ jerk. He and his wife constantly bragged about everywhere they had ever been and treated the crew like their personal servants. It was disgusting. This was on EX on the member's cruise in Nov 2012 which meant they were far from the only top tier members onboard. The concierge was so busy dealing with the D+ and Pinnacle, he barely had time for the suite guests. Another reason I will never go on a Member's cruise again. We will be D+ after our Nov cruise, but we still are just as polite to the crew and other passengers as we were on our first cruise. Point is, people who are bragging about their status, etc have only changed what they're saying when they reach their "status" and haven't changed as people.

It isn't all that unique to be a D+ anymore and that is the reason I believe the time in the CL is limited.

We have been on one members' cruise (2007) and I will not book one intentionally again - sometimes they turn a cruise into one after bookings have been opened. That sense of entitlement permeated the entire ship.

FYI, Celebrity is re-vamping their suite program. If I recall correctly, starting sometime in 2015, higher level suites will have a special lounge (perhaps Michael's club, then private). I am not sure all the details are yet known, certainly those details are not known to me as yet. I am not sure if some of the highest level loyalty members will be allowed in the new lounge...time will tell.

I think that Zenith members have (or will have) access to Michael's Club while the other levels will have a happy hour elsewhere.

We have been on one members' cruise (2007) and I will not book one intentionally again - sometimes they turn a cruise into one after bookings have been opened. That sense of entitlement permeated the entire ship.

Haha! I can't even imagine.

And, that was what happened to us. We booked a full year out on a previous EX cruise and had chosen the cruise for the length, date and itinerary. They made it a members cruise a couple of months later. After it was switched, prices skyrocketed so they were offering insides at almost what we paid for our GS. We will never, ever do another member's cruise again.

Everything I've read (there are several threads on here about it) says the hours are limited to the lounge happy hour hours so, 4:30-8 on ships with 5:30 and 8:00 pm seatings and 5-8:30 on ships with 6 and 8:30 seatings. The "free" drinks then disappear off the card each evening.

I thought the drink vouchers were only for a trial period that ended the end of March and it was undecided whether they would continue.

With all the places to drink and meet people on board, why would anyone want to just go to one venue with one set of (potentially pretentious) clientele, I don't know. Regardless of the perqs of being a frequent cruiser I expect you could meet people to like just about anywhere onboard, and more easily avoid those you don't.

Lest any of you think I am ignorant of this topic, I used to travel quite a bit and have had status with airlines and hotels granting me access to a variety of what I imagine are similar lounges. The benefits are limited in my opinion, and are readily beat by a good view or better company.

My philosophical view, which might inflame some, is that the value of a kind word or a smile to a young couple who spent a good portion of their annual income on their first cruise, and perhaps only vacation in multiple years, trumps a free drink and a special chair for someone on their 4th cruise this year. I fortunately don't fall into the former category, and probably won't ever join the latter. Just saying...

With all the places to drink and meet people on board, why would anyone want to just go to one venue with one set of (potentially pretentious) clientele, I don't know. Regardless of the perqs of being a frequent cruiser I expect you could meet people to like just about anywhere onboard, and more easily avoid those you don't.

Lest any of you think I am ignorant of this topic, I used to travel quite a bit and have had status with airlines and hotels granting me access to a variety of what I imagine are similar lounges. The benefits are limited in my opinion, and are readily beat by a good view or better company.

My philosophical view, which might inflame some, is that the value of a kind word or a smile to a young couple who spent a good portion of their annual income on their first cruise, and perhaps only vacation in multiple years, trumps a free drink and a special chair for someone on their 4th cruise this year. I fortunately don't fall into the former category, and probably won't ever join the latter. Just saying...

There are delightful people all over the ship. Also a few cranky or rude people can be found all around the ship.

I enjoyed having the vouchers on our recent cruise, as it encouraged us to hit different venues different nights with different people and different entertainment. We like variety. The voucher also seemed like a good way to reduce crowding and frustrations regarding crowding. We still enjoyed the CL and DL some of the nights.

Many people only spend an hour or so before dinner in the C/D lounges, so there are plenty of opportunites to share a word or smile with your hypothetical young couple. One can manage both over the course of the cruise.

Also remember that a substantial number of the people in the lounges cruise perhaps once a year rather than 4+ per year. Though infrequent travel on an airline will not get one status, enjoying a cruise a year on RCI will yield access to the DL after some years of loyalty (sooner if cruising longer, solo or in a suite).

I thought the drink vouchers were only for a trial period that ended the end of March and it was undecided whether they would continue.

All I know is that they were on a couple of ships. I was just responding directly to the specific question. I never said they were being currently used or continuing. Just responding to what was asked.

We've never had them on our sailings, but others have reported that they are limited to a time period each day and then are erased from the card.

Edited by BND

I hope that by the time I get to DL or I am lucky enough to be able to go to the CL, that...

A) things have changed and there is no snobbery

Or

B) my skin will be thick enough that it won't bother me!!!

I am not holding my breath for option A! :rolleyes:

I hope that by the time I get to DL or I am lucky enough to be able to go to the CL, that...

A) things have changed and there is no snobbery

Or

B) my skin will be thick enough that it won't bother me!!!

I am not holding my breath for option A! :rolleyes:

We've had mostly great experiences. No one has directly challenged us or anything, but we're in our 50's so youth isn't an issue.;)

The jerk I referred to was by far not the norm. My advice, is just ignore. We did. We rolled our eyes at each other, but otherwise ignored him lol.

While I certainly don't want to argue with you and you have every right to think as you do, I will say I think you will be proved wrong.

My prediction is that soon access to the CL will require a Gold card. Pure and simple. Presently Gold cards are given to guests in GS or above suites and to C & A Pinnacle members.

My prediction is based on numerous comments made by CL attendants (CL's and assistants) and things I have witnessed in the CL on my last 4 cruises over the last year.

I am D+ and was Diamond at the time Diamonds lost access to the CL's (Sept. 2009). I was NOT happy to discover Diamonds had been essentially kicked out but I got over it. And it certainly seems like Royal Caribbean has gone out of their way to make it right with Diamond members. Like putting DL's on almost all the ships, and now drink vouchers on sea pass cards.

Many D+ will be angry when they lose access but they have the DL's and possibly will continue the drink vouchers.

Me? I am hoping they soothe the D+ by offering a generous discount on the drink packages once they no longer have CL access.

Many D+ will be angry when they lose access but they have the DL's and possibly will continue the drink vouchers.

Me? I am hoping they soothe the D+ by offering a generous discount on the drink packages once they no longer have CL access.

Since the Diamond Club and Concierge Lounge offer the same amenities (except for Oasis and Allure) I don't see why there would be a problem just having access to the DC. I like the views better in many of the Diamond Clubs.

This has me laughing. Because the most pretentious one I ever saw in the CL is also on Cruise Critic. :D And no, they haven't posted here.

There have been a few funny moments for us as well. There was one woman who glared at us several nights in a row. I'm not sure why - I think she was offended that we were laughing and smiling as we sat with friends.

We rotate between JS and GS and are D+. Our next cruise we are in a JS. We always do the CL. We attempted the DL one time but there was a HORDE of over 70 year olds ahead of us to go in and we felt outnumbered and got the distinct impression that we were going to be the lepers in the room so we went back to the CL. Definitely not worth it. I admit to being wary of the DL just based on some of the Diamond breakfasts we've had to endure. That much bragging is just not good for the soul. :)

Sadly, the obnoxious D, D+ and P's are roaming around the ship too - not just the lounges. Happily, they are probably only about 5% of the population. The other 95% are like most of us here, normal and happy to be cruising.