Please help-australia cruising!

jkw2765

Hi, we are considering doing B2B cruises on Sun Princess to New Zealand and Fiji and the South Pacific for a total of 27 days. After reading some older threads on here, it makes me a bit nervous. We are late 40's but taking my parents in their mid-70s for their trip of a lifetime. We have always been pleased with Princess. The trip is rather costly and I don't want to regret choosing Princess. Princess has the best itineraries for where we want to go so don't really have too many options. Any input would be appreciated!

I realize that this was quite a while ago (and a different ship), but we did a 31-day repositioning cruise in the fall of 2008 on the Dawn Princess from San Francisco, through various islands in the South Pacific, to New Zealand, and then Sydney. It truly was the "trip of a lifetime" and we still talk about it all the time. It was simply amazing. I'm not sure what you've read that has made you nervous, but I would do a similar cruise again anytime!

We are doing a similar trip on the Diamond Princess B2B, Australia/NZ ...40 days in Feb 2015. We have a very active roll call going...don't think you would be disappointed with Princess. Diamond is in dry dock right now, so she will be in excellent shape for us. Wide range of ages, probably not many or any kids on that length of voyage and a large ship with fees in us$ not the Australian currency which some of the other ship are currently using.

Enjoy..,what a trip if a lifetime you will have..great memories.

Edited by hillslife

Are the Sun class ships the only ones doing that route?

Yes, for the Fiji and South Pacific. I believe the Dawn also does New Zealand but we can't hook up the B2B. Thanks for the help!

Although you will book through Princess, believe the ship is operated by P&O Australia. Also believe the onboard currency is AUS$. Princess mentions that anytime dining not available. Since this is one of the smaller Sun class ships some of the Princess standards, for example the International Cafe, are not on this ship. However, this ship was recently in dry dock and re-fitted for the Japanese market. Others that I have spoken with have reported some snags and getting all their on Board Credits. Also reported to me was that there were some issues with the price of tours not being the same as what Princess charged on line. It was all resolved, but just go prepared with all the back up documents. Also, plan to arrive at least a day or two early before embarkation. The flight(s) are very long, it took us 22 hours in the air from the east coast, arriving two days after you leave, and you need some time to rest.

Maybe someone from Australia can further advise.

Thanks for the input! That brings me to my next dilemma-flights! I am tempted to go through Princess EZ air as they have an air credit right now and I can't get within $500 pp but have also read that you are on your own if flights cancel or there are any problems. I was planning on leaving Miami on November 10, arriving into Sydney on the 12th at 7 am and the ship leaves at 4 pm. The first 2 days we are at sea, so plenty of time to rest. Trying to figure out best time to book flights. Thanks for all the help!

The Sun had dry dock last year and now has the International Cafe and Sushi Restaurant. I had been on the Dawn and Sea and thought the Sun was lovely with the new additions. Yes it does only anytime dining but there are other options as well if that doesn't suit. You will have a wonderful time visiting those places but I am a biased Aussie. I would also spend a night or two pre cruise in Sydney which you can do with Princess flights

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by Thorpe

Thanks for the input! That brings me to my next dilemma-flights! I am tempted to go through Princess EZ air as they have an air credit right now and I can't get within $500 pp but have also read that you are on your own if flights cancel or there are any problems. I was planning on leaving Miami on November 10, arriving into Sydney on the 12th at 7 am and the ship leaves at 4 pm. The first 2 days we are at sea, so plenty of time to rest. Trying to figure out best time to book flights. Thanks for all the help!

Hi - I would not suggest that you arrived the same day as your cruise departs. Not just for the fact that if the flight is delayed at all you are in trouble - Being jet lagged is not a great way to start a holiday. I have found one of the best ways to avoid / get rid of jet lag is to be as active as possible for the first couple of days so that your body clock resets, getting "plenty of rest" does not necessarily help. We have travelled wit our parents and you need to remember that they are older than you and may take a bit longer to bounce back after the long flight and time changes etc. Contrary to one of the previous posters saying there won't be many kids - there will be. The Island cruise will have lots of families and younger people on it as will the NZ cruise. Also Australian summer school holidays commence in December. However - you will have an amazing time!

The Sun had dry dock last year and now has the International Cafe and Sushi Restaurant. I had been on the Dawn and Sea and thought the Sun was lovely with the new additions. Yes it does only anytime dining but there are other options as well if that doesn't suit. You will have a wonderful time visiting those places but I am a biased Aussie. I would also spend a night or two pre cruise in Sydney which you can do with Princess flights

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Good to know about the addition of the IC.

Give yourself an extra day or two pre cruise with your flight. If there is any problem with US connecting flights or the big one to Sydney there is a good chance you will miss the departure. Even an EZ guarantee will mean you miss a couple of days cruising before you pick the ship up in NZ or the islands.

Sun Princess has set time dining only in the MDRs. The ship is starting to look a bit old but the recent updates to Horizon Court and the addition of the International Cafe are pretty good.

Hi, we are considering doing B2B cruises on Sun Princess to New Zealand and Fiji and the South Pacific for a total of 27 days. After reading some older threads on here, it makes me a bit nervous. We are late 40's but taking my parents in their mid-70s for their trip of a lifetime. We have always been pleased with Princess. The trip is rather costly and I don't want to regret choosing Princess. Princess has the best itineraries for where we want to go so don't really have too many options. Any input would be appreciated!

we havent been on the Sun Princess for quite awhile but it had a make over last year so it would be in good shape

if you can arrive a day early it would be better, the ship would likely cruise out from White Bay which would cost approx $25 by taxi from Sydney, if you need supplies buy them before getting to the pier as there's not much there, they do have a coffee shop where you can buy one if need be

with the currency onboard its AUD and you would need Kiwi dollars for NZ

cruising in november you may not strike a lot of kids as school doesnt break up till mid december

with the weather Sydney will be hot and New Zealand its a lucky dip so be prepared and bring a warm jumper/jacket just in case

I think we spent 3 nights in Sidney before our cruise and we were coming from South Carolina. So a similar distance.

Also, while the 2 sea days will give you time to recover, they will also give you time to catch the ship if your flight is late.

We have flown to the US numerous times and will be doing it again this August. We have done it several ways in the past. Usually we fly Sydney/LAX on Virgin Australia with a connecting flight to FLL on either Delta or Southwest. However, we have also flown with Hawaiian Airlines to LA and then the connecting flight. This flight stopped over in Honolulu. This time we are going all the way to NY with Qantas. There are many good companies that you can choose from. At the moment Qantas seems to be having some good fares.... have a look at them.

I have to agree with everyone else and advise that you should, if possible, come at LEAST a day earlier. Coming from the US to Australia is a shock on the body (time wise)... you lose a day and you arrive when your body is telling you to go to bed. Worse thing you can do! Stay awake, go site seeing (plenty to do in Sydney for the day) go shopping, just don't lay down and go to sleep until it is dark. You will get over your jet lag so much quicker this way.

We have been on the Sun Princess a few times and I have a soft spot for her as she was my first cruise. She is a small ship compared to American standards these days. There is not the amenities on her that you will find on the larger newer ships, however, we always love getting back onboard her. She is run by Princess Australia and is in AU$ (which is good for you at the moment) and tends to have food that Aussies prefer. Not that much different than the US ships but you can tell it is geared towards us Aussies.

There will not be many kids onboard in November as rkmw has said and the temperature will be starting to rise in Australia and the islands but regarding NZ..... well you will have to take a selection as the south island can get quite cold even in November. Just layer and take a jacket.

I hope this helps, if you have any more questions, just ask us. :)

There is some incorrect information in this thread.

I don't know why it was referred to as inferior because it was run by P&O Australia? I'm not sure that it even is run by P&O?

Sun Princess does have an International Cafe.

Sun Princess does have fixed dining (there was no anytime dining in January 2014).

I thoroughly enjoyed my Sun Princess cruise. The service and food was wonderful. The ship is not the best I've been on but I liked it. There was a lack of nice public (quiet) seating areas. The International Cafe was ALWAYS full (I love that place). :D

Edited by sayaguru

Thanks so much for all the tips! I would agree with the arriving a day or 2 early but as I am still working, we can only take 31 days off SO with the J-O-B coming into play a little, I would rather stay the extra day after when we are not so tired. I am trying to secure non-stop flights from MIA to LAX and then LAX to SYD. I am hoping to have an approximate 7 hour layover in LAX so hopefully all will go as planned. Reading so much on the differences between Virgin Australia and Qantas and trying to decide between the 2. If anyone has any "must sees" that they did and would like to pass on, I would appreciate all the help! Thanks Again!;)

Thanks so much for all the tips! I would agree with the arriving a day or 2 early but as I am still working, we can only take 31 days off SO with the J-O-B coming into play a little, I would rather stay the extra day after when we are not so tired. I am trying to secure non-stop flights from MIA to LAX and then LAX to SYD. I am hoping to have an approximate 7 hour layover in LAX so hopefully all will go as planned. Reading so much on the differences between Virgin Australia and Qantas and trying to decide between the 2. If anyone has any "must sees" that they did and would like to pass on, I would appreciate all the help! Thanks Again!;)

There is not much difference in Virgin Australia to Qantas. I must say though that Virgin is a bit more laid back and the flight attendants are very friendly. Virgin also has 24 hour free snack bar so if you feel like a soft drink (pop) or coffee/tea or water with chips or nuts during the flight you just go and help yourself. Virgin also has slightly wider seats and a tad more leg room. Either way you will not be disappointed in your choice. The meals on both airlines is quite good (for airline food).

What I can suggest is that you go on the Australia/New Zealand Cruising section of CC and ask the question of what to do in each port. If you post the itinerary you will be inundated with suggestions. :D

There is some incorrect information in this thread.

I don't know why it was referred to as inferior because it was run by P&O Australia? I'm not sure that it even is run by P&O?

Sun Princess does have an International Cafe.

Sun Princess does have fixed dining (there was no anytime dining in January 2014).

I thoroughly enjoyed my Sun Princess cruise. The service and food was wonderful. The ship is not the best I've been on but I liked it. There was a lack of nice public (quiet) seating areas. The International Cafe was ALWAYS full (I love that place). :D

No.... you are correct. It is not run by P & O Australia, it is run by Princess Australia.

Are you on the Nov 12 sailing out of Sydney? We are too!

We took advantage of the EZ air sailing, opting for the flexible fare plan. We can change or cancel flights up to 45 days from departure, so that gives me plenty of time to look around. But so far, it was the best price I've seen.

We are going a week early, but plan to go to Cairns and visit the Great Barrier Reef area.

Looks like a wonderful trip!

We have done several long trips on the Sun and Dawn Princesses (Not the Pacific Sun or Dawn which is operated by P&O Australia) Not to get confused.

W e have done 75 days and 2 x 49 days and never been bored or had problems We are in our mid 70's but young at heart.:D:D

Your parents and you will have a great time on Princess They look after you never well