HAL beverage cards -- 1st timer

DRS/NC

Although I'm an experienced cruiser, I'll be taking my first HAL cruise in July on the Prisendam.

What's the deal on the Soda Value card (pay $25; get a value of $50) vs. the $50 non-alcoholic beverage card -- besides the cost?

How much are sodas individually? Coke or Pepsi products?

Also, will I be able to 'rent' a small frig (I know they aren't standard on HAL)?

Fees for Room Service (besides tip)?

Any other tips for a 1st timer on HAL?

Thanks!

Fountain sodas are $1.50 + 15% service charge, cans are $1.95 + 15% SC. You can not get cans with the soda card any more. With the soda card you get 29 glasses of soda for $25. With the $50 n-a card you can get not only fountain soda but also cans of soda and any other n-a beverages such as specialty coffees in the Explorations Café.

No need to rent a frig (cooler) - the Prinsendam has one in every cabin.

There is no fee for room service, but most people tip the delivery person $1 to $3 depending on how much was ordered.

Edited by catl331

What's the deal on the Soda Value card (pay $25; get a value of $50) ...
Fountain sodas are $1.50 + 15% service charge, cans are $1.95 + 15% SC. You can not get cans with the soda card any more. With the soda card you get 29 glasses of soda for $25. With the $50 n-a card you can get not only fountain soda but also cans of soda and any other n-a beverages such as specialty coffees in the Explorations Café.
Because of the 50% discount on the soda card, it's still decent value IMHO. Especially if you ask for the drink with no ice in it - because it's coming out of the gun, it will already be cold. If you have enough chutzpah, you can also ask for a glass of ice on the side.

No need to rent a frig (cooler) - the Prinsendam has one in every cabin.

There is no fee for room service, but most people tip the delivery person $1 to $3 depending on how much was ordered.

Thanks! Is there a limit on the number of drinks with the n-a card?

Thanks! Is there a limit on the number of drinks with the n-a card?
Yes - $50 worth! It's like a Gift Card - each purchase is deducted from the balance until the $50 is used up.

Edited by catl331

With the $50 n-a card you can get not only fountain soda but also cans of soda and any other n-a beverages such as specialty coffees in the Explorations Café.

Am I understanding this right, $50 for a 7 day cruise gets you unlimited soda and specialty coffees and teas? Since RCL is charging $20 per day, that's actually not bad at all. I don't drink much soda (these days sparkling water and Mio), but there's no way I am going to drink $140 in coffee!

Am I understanding this right, $50 for a 7 day cruise gets you unlimited soda and specialty coffees and teas?
No, you get $50 worth. It has nothing to with the number of days. Each purchase is deducted from the remaining balance until $50 has been used. Edited by catl331

But aren't your choices of soda types very limited compared to what's available in cans?
The choice is enough for us, most of the time. At an effective 86 cents per glass or thereabouts (assuming one finishes the soda card) I'm not too bothered if I'm limited to what's in the gun. And if I really want something that the soda card won't buy, I still have the option of charging it to the room as normal. It's not as if possession of a soda card prevents you from buying anything else at the bar!

It's still decent value if you don't mind soda from a gun. On the occasions a gun is not available like the Lido, you'll get it poured from a can.

It was a great value when they launched the cards and gave you the entire can.

I see. What is there non-alcoholic drink package, or do they have one?

Other than the soda card, discussed above, the only beverage package HAL has is the Signature Beverage Package. It's the 15 beverages per day card that can be used for both alcohol and non alcoholic beverages.

We beat the specifics of the program to death in this thread:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42210890

If I grabbed the correct link, you should be taken to post #375 in the thread entitled, "Wines and corkage and bars, Oh my! (Signature Beverage Pkg, Beverage Cards & Corkage)"

As others have stated, the $50 beverage card is basically just a gift card that you load up with $50 and you use to buy beverages. There isn't any savings attached to it whatsoever, just convenience. Instead of swiping your cabin card when making a beverage purchase, you swipe your beverage card.

If you search this forum, you sill discover that it is quite common for HAL to post errors and over charges to your onboard account. Many passengers try to reduce the frustration and time to deal with the errors and over charges by purchasing the beverage card and not having to consolidate all their drink purchases to their onboard account.

Of course, just like any gift card, one risk is should you lose the card, you've lost your money.

I should add that it would be practically impossible to get your money's worth while teetotalling.

You're thorough, and looks like you had some fun with the graphics! There's no way any of these drink packages would work to our advantage. Princess coffee cards however, I would buy.

Edited by Stateroom_Sailor

Of course, just like any gift card, one risk is should you lose the card, you've lost your money.
I don't think that's true, because I don't think the balance is stored on the card itself. If you do not use at least the purchase price HAL knows that, and refunds the balance at cruise end. That would not be possible if the balance was stored on the card.

I don't think that's true, because I don't think the balance is stored on the card itself. If you do not use at least the purchase price HAL knows that, and refunds the balance at cruise end. That would not be possible if the balance was stored on the card.

While they may refund the card balance as a practical matter, they're not actually obligated to. See an honest to goodness scan of the back side of a 2014 beverage card here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=42175584

A lot of people have reported that the balance gets refunded, including RuthC - and we consider her a very reliable and trusted source - but given how the card reads, I wouldn't buy one for a whole lot more than I expected to use.

While they may refund the card balance as a practical matter, ...
All I was challenging was lost card = lost money. Despite what it says on the back of that card, I have turned in an unused one for full credit on my on-board account. That was almost 4 years ago, so maybe the rules have changed. Edited by jtl513

All I was challenging was lost card = lost money. Despite what it says on the back of that card, I have turned in an unused one for full credit on my on-board account. That was almost 4 years ago, so maybe the rules have changed.

I believe you, and other people have said the same thing. We've never had any money left over, so I can't comment from personal experience. I just happened to notice the Terms of Use on the back of our recent card, and I would hate to see someone leave money on the table, so to speak. :)