2015 New England/Canada

Bostonjetset

Wondering what the weather was like? Doing this trip for the first time the end of September this year.

A couple of little bumps going east to west TA but considering we were at the stern, no problem at all. The rest of it was like a mill pond. Coming back, we took a very northerly route to avoid a hurricane while QM2, a couple of days behind us leaving Quebec was sailing right into the teeth of it while mere "cruise ships" were holed up in harbour along the east coast.

At the stops - Newport I was in a tee shirt, Portland was just a little cooler but dry, Boston gave us a little rain but cleared up nicely. Bar Harbor was mostly dry but a little cool and I have a super picture of QE in the harbour with a ribbon of mist hanging over her. The only downside is that we were a week or two early for the best of the Fall colours but it was still spectacular. Halifax was brilliant sunshine all along the harbour and Quebec was nicely autumnal.

With hindsight, I'm glad we were on QE not QM2. At Newport we anchored maybe half a mile out and the harbour master was only allowing one tender (or was it two?) at very reduced speed. So disembarkation took a long time and on a larger ship would have been even more tedious. Maybe they've got a little more sensible now.

How time flies though. I just looked it up and it wasn't 2012, it was September/October 2011. Enjoy the voyage, we'd book it again in a heartbeat.

DSCF0234_zpstmyagpli.jpg

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

A couple of little bumps going east to west TA but considering we were at the stern, no problem at all. The rest of it was like a mill pond. Coming back, we took a very northerly route to avoid a hurricane while QM2, a couple of days behind us leaving Quebec was sailing right into the teeth of it while mere "cruise ships" were holed up in harbour along the east coast.

At the stops - Newport I was in a tee shirt, Portland was just a little cooler but dry, Boston gave us a little rain but cleared up nicely. Bar Harbor was mostly dry but a little cool and I have a super picture of QE in the harbour with a ribbon of mist hanging over her. The only downside is that we were a week or two early for the best of the Fall colours but it was still spectacular. Halifax was brilliant sunshine all along the harbour and Quebec was nicely autumnal.

With hindsight, I'm glad we were on QE not QM2. At Newport we anchored maybe half a mile out and the harbour master was only allowing one tender (or was it two?) at very reduced speed. So disembarkation took a long time and on a larger ship would have been even more tedious. Maybe they've got a little more sensible now.

How time flies though. I just looked it up and it wasn't 2012, it was September/October 2011. Enjoy the voyage, we'd book it again in a heartbeat.

DSCF0234_zpstmyagpli.jpg

Thanks for the insights and the wonderful photo... Looking forward to the cruise.

Mention was made in earlier posts about this years 5 night QM2 July/August cruise M514 (r/tNY, port stops in Boston & Halifax)...for anyone interested, it seems the price has come down: I just noticed this cruise is listed on Cunard USA website under "Cruise Deals". Suggestion: also check with your travel agent as there are some very good special offers/benefits. Doesn't fit our schedule, but I hope it works out well for you:) -Cheers

Mention was made in earlier posts about this years 5 night QM2 July/August cruise M514 (r/tNY, port stops in Boston & Halifax)...for anyone interested, it seems the price has come down: I just noticed this cruise is listed on Cunard USA website under "Cruise Deals". Suggestion: also check with your travel agent as there are some very good special offers/benefits. Doesn't fit our schedule, but I hope it works out well for you:) -Cheers

July 30th , Inside Guarantee FLASH Rate $649p/p + tax Dbl occ.