limes in drinks

axoxo

I just left a local grocery store in Tampa. They had plenty of limes at 2 for 80 cents. I never really check the price as my wife does most of the shopping but I will say at 40 cents a lime if it raised the price of my Sapphire and tonic 10 cents I don't think it would break me.

I just left a local grocery store in Tampa. They had plenty of limes at 2 for 80 cents. I never really check the price as my wife does most of the shopping but I will say at 40 cents a lime if it raised the price of my Sapphire and tonic 10 cents I don't think it would break me.

2 for 80 cents? Wow. I was just in my local Publix here in southeastern Florida, and limes are 79 cents EACH. Last week, Publix had them for 89 cents EACH! I guess it depends on where you are.

2 for 80 cents? Wow. I was just in my local Publix here in southeastern Florida, and limes are 79 cents EACH. Last week, Publix had them for 89 cents EACH! I guess it depends on where you are.

I used to do a lot of contract work for Publix and IMHO they are the best but also the most expensive big grocery store. Case in point Costco onions 79 cents a pound. The same onion at Publix $1.80 a pound. Now in all fairness I could open up an onion ring stand at the fair with the 10 pound bag I bought :>)

Well, there is a shortage. That's why the prices have skyrocketed.

And then there's the decision for a business to pay the outrageous prices to keep the product in stock. If they are eating the cost, they may be frugal in putting them in the drink, or just forgo it altogether.

Maybe the truth about Corona will finally come out, that the only original purpose of the lime was to keep flies off the rim of the bottle, and never meant to make beer a lime flavor.

Is that really why they started putting limes on the Corona bottle? I always wondered......I drink Bud Light so I didn't know.......

Is that really why they started putting limes on the Corona bottle? I always wondered......I drink Bud Light so I didn't know.......

I had heard it was because Corona had such a bitter after taste.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Well Mr Flite always enjoys a cucumber slice in his G&T when he is at home. And you can be darn sure he won't recieve one of those on board!

He can get a slice at the salad bar ;)

I used to do a lot of contract work for Publix and IMHO they are the best but also the most expensive big grocery store. Case in point Costco onions 79 cents a pound. The same onion at Publix $1.80 a pound. Now in all fairness I could open up an onion ring stand at the fair with the 10 pound bag I bought :>)

As a former Massachusetts resident now living in central Florida I agree with you re: Publix being VERY expensive - also, not the best quality on produce and meats - that's just my opinion. Can't believe I'd say that one of the things I would miss about "home" would be the grocery stores. LOL

True, true and more truth!!!.... HOWEVER>>>>> if you are "worried" about the condition of the lime/ fruit in your drink (just put more alcohol in it) ......and not worried about the ice, food, or dishes on a cruise....then I might suggest that you aren't "worrying" enough. I'm a chef by trade.....I could tell you stories....and you may never eat anywhere again. *EVER* lol

I agree with everything you are saying - DON'T TELL ME- I don't want to know what goes on behind closed doors - ewwwww.

I agree with everything you are saying - DON'T TELL ME- I don't want to know what goes on behind closed doors - ewwwww.

LOL!! no worries! I've worked in very upscale (resort type) places and also....local "good eats" places. Even with the best practices in place....people are touching your food and some items may not be as "washed" as you would at home.

I happen to love limes :D.....and SCRUB them with soap/hot water at home before using. Do I think that ALL places do this? :rolleyes: hahhahaaa! Um, no.:p

Like, I mentioned earlier....the human body is supremely equipped to deal the majority of these "less than best" practices. Else, we would all be extinct by now. :)

Well, there is a shortage. That's why the prices have skyrocketed.

And then there's the decision for a business to pay the outrageous prices to keep the product in stock. If they are eating the cost, they may be frugal in putting them in the drink, or just forgo it altogether.

Maybe the truth about Corona will finally come out, that the only original purpose of the lime was to keep flies off the rim of the bottle, and never meant to make beer a lime flavor.

There are a few theories about this - who knows what the real reason is.

One I read about from a book on how companies brand products indicated that a bartender in California started putting limes in Corona bottles and the practice took off from there.

Paid $1 for a lime at Krogers in Cincinnati the other day.:eek: Nice size and nice quality, can't drink a G&T without a lime! Lemons just don't cut it. Guess I'll bring a couple with me in June, or maybe a small bottle of lime juice.:p

Paid $1 for a lime at Krogers in Cincinnati the other day.:eek: Nice size and nice quality, can't drink a G&T without a lime! Lemons just don't cut it. Guess I'll bring a couple with me in June, or maybe a small bottle of lime juice.:p

Totally agree with you. Think about it you could most likely make 15 - 20 gin and tonics with a nice size lime. Some things need to have lime in order to make it work. So Carnival needs to add 5 or 10 cents to the cost of a drink. I really don't think anyone would care.

I will be ordering a bottle of Bombay from Bon Voyage and yes I will be bringing limes onboard with me. If for some reason those limes are confiscated that $80.00 bottle will be going back for a refund.

Just a reminder/heads up - if anyone will be bringing limes onboard make sure you pack them in your checked luggage - like I said before - last year I brought 3 limes in a carry on and they took them away from me and said they were not "allowed".