Help me pick a cruise! Southern Caribbean

Hey everyone! I am needing some help decided which cruise my husband and I should take for out 10th anniversary. We have already cruised Eastern & Western Caribbean (both on The Freedom) and we really want to go southern this time.

I am trying to decide from these two, both out of San Juan. We are planning to travel in December 2015:

Ship Name: Jewel Of The Seas

Departure Port: San Juan, Puerto Rico

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Oranjestad, Aruba; Willemstad, Curacao; San Juan, Puerto Rico

Ship Name: Adventure Of The Seas

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Bridgetown, Barbados; Roseau, Dominica; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; San Juan, Puerto Rico

Help me experts! Which ports are better? which ship??? Give me the good, bad and all of it! :)

Don't overlook the Legend sailing both 10 and 11 night cruises out of Fort Lauderdale in 2015. Might be easier to get to than Puerto Rico.

I was looking at that but I really don't want to go more than 7 nights. We have a young daughter (she will be 7 at the time of sailing) and with it getting close to the holidays I don't want to be gone that long. I was looking at airfare costs and it actually isn't but about $100 more per person to fly from here to Puerto Rico than it is to Fort Lauderdale.

We've been to all of those Islands, most of which were on Adventure. I love the Royal Promenade, I've not been on Jewel but folks on here love her, we have been on Serenade and loved it but I really like Adventures deck plans. You really can't go wrong with either though.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

My first cruise was very similar to the first option, but with St Maarten instead of St Kitts.

I absolutely loved Curacao - I didn't do anything organised, just wandered off the ship, across the pontoon and spent the day hanging out, sipping mojitos, having some lunch, and watching life go by.

I haven't been on the Jewel, so can't speak to that element, but from a purely personal perspective, I'd love to go back to Curacao again.

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Bridgetown, Barbados; Roseau, Dominica; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; San Juan, Puerto

AOS hands down Love that ship and Love Barbados a do not miss is Calabaza Catamaran excursions will be or 4th time on the AOS in 15 and 3rd time to do Sail Calabaza.:D:D

We've been to all of those Islands, most of which were on Adventure. I love the Royal Promenade, I've not been on Jewel but folks on here love her, we have been on Serenade and loved it but I really like Adventures deck plans. You really can't go wrong with either though.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We love the promenade on Freedom so we thought we might like the Adventure better.

Ports of Call: San Juan, Puerto Rico; St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands; Basseterre, St. Kitts; Bridgetown, Barbados; Roseau, Dominica; Philipsburg, St. Maarten; San Juan, Puerto

AOS hands down Love that ship and Love Barbados a do not miss is Calabaza Catamaran excursions will be or 4th time on the AOS in 15 and 3rd time to do Sail Calabaza.:D:D

I've always wanted to go to Barbados so I really think we are leaning towards this. I'll have to check out the catamaran excursion!

I would pick the Adventure one. I liked that ship better and I like those ports better. Even though Curacao is really nice. We are looking to do an adventure one similar to this in april 2016 for 20 yr anniversary.

I am 50 and will be on my 53 cruise next month.

This is how I would choose:

Jewel goes to Aruba love Aruba, the other islands don't stand out for me.

Adventure goes to Barbados which I love also but also goes to the beautiful Dominica, so you have two very beautiful islands to visit on this ship

My main concern when I cruise is the ship not the itinerary because 90% of my time is on the ship with this being said:

Adventure went through her last dry dock April this year, she is updated and they added Park Cafe and Giovanni's table along with updating to the digital signage, flat screen tv's in cabins, bow to stern wi-fi. She is a larger ship yes holds more passengers but is larger.

Jewel goes into dry dock in April 2016, she needs to be updated and will gain additions to her as she doesn't have them now.

For me....the dry dock on the Jewel is right nearly around the corner for when you want to sail, I would not choose this ship because of this issue, I would choose the Adventure for a more updated ship.

I am 50 and will be on my 53 cruise next month.

This is how I would choose:

Jewel goes to Aruba love Aruba, the other islands don't stand out for me.

Adventure goes to Barbados which I love also but also goes to the beautiful Dominica, so you have two very beautiful islands to visit on this ship

My main concern when I cruise is the ship not the itinerary because 90% of my time is on the ship with this being said:

Adventure went through her last dry dock April this year, she is updated and they added Park Cafe and Giovanni's table along with updating to the digital signage, flat screen tv's in cabins, bow to stern wi-fi. She is a larger ship yes holds more passengers but is larger.

Jewel goes into dry dock in April 2016, she needs to be updated and will gain additions to her as she doesn't have them now.

For me....the dry dock on the Jewel is right nearly around the corner for when you want to sail, I would not choose this ship because of this issue, I would choose the Adventure for a more updated ship.

Thanks for this advice.

Thanks for all the great advice. I really think we'll end up going with Adventure, I was leaning that way but with all the advice I think I've made my decision.

Now to decide what we want to do where!

Hello -

The Adventure will give one more port ( busy cruise ). These ports are more lush with more elevation change. More "exotic" for the adventurous.

Aruba and Caracao will be flatter and dryer - more developed - probably a bit more relaxing.

Hard to go wrong with either of these.

Thanks for all the great advice. I really think we'll end up going with Adventure, I was leaning that way but with all the advice I think I've made my decision.

Now to decide what we want to do where!

We've sailed on AOS three times and loved her. It's a great size of ship, and it sounds like there were some nice enhancements. In either case you have St. Kitts on the itinerary. My suggestion is an island tour with Royston, and there is great information on the port of call board for St. Kitts about his tour and others.

Edited by CntPAcruiser

Perhaps Aruba and Curacao another time!

Have been to most of the ports. Aruba and Curacao are some of our favorites- have been 3 times to each. Highly recommend.

Great swimming, snorkeling, historic Willemstad, Aruba countryside, great shopping, many adventures.

Edited by cruiseapril

I've always wanted to go to Barbados so I really think we are leaning towards this. I'll have to check out the catamaran excursion!

Don't take my word just go to trip advisor Gina gets like a 99% 5 star rating and it upsets her she is at 99% LOL. You will not regret it.

Just got back from the Adventure cruise. We missed Barbados and St Maarten but still had a fantastic cruise, and in fact are considering doing it again next year and hoping we get to go to the two ports we missed this time. Loved Adventure and she'll be even nicer after her refresh this week.

I prefer smaller ships, so based solely on the ship, I'd choose Jewel.

HOWEVER...I'm MORE influenced by itinerary and would therefore book Adventure given the two choices listed.

I prefer the 5-port/1-sea day itineraries. I like to see as many ports of call as possible. Two sea days, particularly on a smaller ship, is one too many.

Also, I'm really not a fan of Aruba. I know LOTS of people ARE, but it's just not my favorite port. I tend to prefer the less developed ports of call, where there are unique things to see rather than the same old beach resorts and tourist attractions. For that reason, I LOVE Dominica. (Highly recommend Bumpiing Tours if you go with that option.)

And I agree with CntPAcruiser regarding Royston in St. Kitts. We toured with him last month and it was GREAT!

Edited by printingchick

I prefer smaller ships, so based solely on the ship, I'd choose Jewel.

HOWEVER...I'm MORE influenced by itinerary and would therefore book Adventure given the two choices listed.

I prefer the 5-port/1-sea day itineraries. I like to see as many ports of call as possible. Two sea days, particularly on a smaller ship, is one too many.

Also, I'm really not a fan of Aruba. I know LOTS of people ARE, but it's just not my favorite port. I tend to prefer the less developed ports of call, where there are unique things to see rather than the same old beach resorts and tourist attractions. For that reason, I LOVE Dominica. (Highly recommend Bumpiing Tours if you go with that option.)

And I agree with CntPAcruiser regarding Royston in St. Kitts. We toured with him last month and it was GREAT!

Thanks for the tips, I'll check out Royston!

I was looking at that but I really don't want to go more than 7 nights. We have a young daughter (she will be 7 at the time of sailing) and with it getting close to the holidays I don't want to be gone that long. I was looking at airfare costs and it actually isn't but about $100 more per person to fly from here to Puerto Rico than it is to Fort Lauderdale.

Hi there! I used to live in Huntsville, Al.

Have you looked at prices of flying southwest out of Nashville or Birmingham to San Juan? You may save since you're not paying for baggage and what not. I've found it's cheaper

Help me experts! Which ports are better? which ship??? Give me the good, bad and all of it! :)

Just the two of you? If you had kids I would recommend Adventure over Jewel. Since you have been on Freedom, Adventure will seem somewhat familiar in design.

The Jewel is a Radiance class ship and this class is many people's favorite and it is a nice experience. This itinierary is very port intensive so you may not mind the smaller ship on a cruise like this one. I'll have more to say about the ports next month.