First Time NCL Cruiser Breakaway Review - 3/30-4/6/14

Michylicious

So I'm a first time NCL cruiser who was cruising with a group of 11 for both my sister's 30th birthday and my 33rd. Overall, the Breakaway was a beautiful ship and we had a great time (I don't think you can have a bad time on a cruise).

The food (at the pay restaurants) was excellent - we ate at Cagney's, Italian, Le Bistro, Teppanyaki, Sushi, Ocean Blue on the Waterfront (the walk up window) and Shanghai's. We had a bit of an issue with service in Cagney's but after complaining, it was pretty quickly rectified. I think sit down dinner wise - Le Bistro was my favorite. A la carte - the Sushi. They definitely do not skimp on the size of their rolls which I was really happy with. If you like sake, it's better cold.

The free sit down restaurants were pretty disappointing - especially in service. Dinner the first night for 11 in the Manhattan room was very disorganized and the servers were definitely not up to par with what we have come to expect in cruising. 2nd night we tried Savor - better service, but still had to hunt down the servers to get a drink order in.

I'll definitely add more during the week, but wanted to get this started and see if any other recent or upcoming NCL newbies had questions :)

I was on the BA the week before you and had dinner @ the Manhattan room several times. I had excellent food and service all but the last night in there when it took about 20 minutes to get a cup of coffee at the end of the meal. The service was wonderful, I think it depends on your server.

We were on the same week as Geri. Welcome back.

What were your problems with Cagneys? We had great service at all restaurants except Cagneys. The 3 chefs came around after dinner and I told them and also dropped a note to Prem. The hostess and maitre d at Cagneys were disappointing.

Bolding one of OP's line here
- (
I don't think you can have a bad time on a cruise.)
and thanks for sharing yours with us here on CC.

On the BA for the same week as you and 6 of us dine in the Manhattan Room twice with advanced reservations, we're quickly seated and very good services from the waiting team. The front podium for checking with the host/ess on duty was a bit disorganized with one long line on that last evening when we showed up a few minutes before 5:30 PM with a "mob" scene. We did watched groups of people walking directly in without stopping at all - more than, well, barging in and they seemed to know where they're going. (I figured, must be some sort of large group gathering - reading other reviews written here, that's probably some of the 1,200 jewelry ladies)

NCL used to have a # of them with the wait team only taking cocktail orders & bringing the drinks, and not the waiter/ress do it all. On that last evening, the place was packed full & very noisy as everyone showed up (and as last Sea Day too) and some asked the server to hurry so that they can make their shows. We told them to not rush it when asked and we ate in a more leisure pace and our drink orders were taken at the same time as our meal choices.

We also ate several times in Savor and Taste for dinner and actually find services to be slightly better and more attentive, and more wait staff available & free. The assistant maitre'd and/or manager came almost every time to say hello and check on things while we're enjoying the meal and services. We did not do Cagney's but LeBistro was excellent. It could be that the waiter/ress and his/her assistants were busy with other guests or held up by special requests as they need to walk up/down those kitchen escalators with the heavy tray stacked with 12+ covered plates - I wouldn't want to be in their place walking with those balanced under their palm/wrist.

Our "issues" were the apparent "extensive" use of curry in many of the cooking in traditional non-curry dishes, including meatloaf in O'Sheehan's and the Split Pea Soup in one of the MDR, left them a note with our comment - and, we like things like stewed curry chicken.

Overall speaking, it was a great week on the BA for us.