what is it with pools on a cruise ship??

As a physician I'm fascinated with people's perception of risk. Yes there are risks to hot tubs but there's also huge risks to overeating, drinking more than 1 or 2 drinks a day, and not sleeping enough. To name a few. Generally people take the risk if the behavior is fun enough to justify it.

Now I see the difference between a risk that is far in the future as opposed to hot tub folliculitus which will happen today, but I'm still intrigued by the reaction of some here.

I'm fully aware of the risks of hot tubs but still enjoy them. And I drank way more than 1 or 2 drinks a day last week.

And BTW urine is sterile and non-toxic (generally sterile I should say.) It smells bad but really it's not harmful, so not sure why people freak over it. In fact we often use a cream made from urea for skin care (urea is one of the main ingredients in urine.) See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_therapy

Stool is a different matter. (it's about 50% bacteria by weight, gross huh?)

If this includes bar stools, I'm screwed on my next cruise! :D J/K

Last summer on the Grandeur in the Solarium while I was having a snack, I watched a guy literally 'take a bath' in the hot tub. He was alone in it and there were lots of people around, but he washed his arm pits, scrubbed his hair, then went under water and came up washing his face. :eek:

I don't go in the hot tubs to begin with but after watching that... I definately will never go in!

I guess he didn't need to shower that night!

The bathing is bad but doesn't bother me nearly as much as using the hot tub for a toilet. You won't find me in one!!

Kathy :eek:

One of my favorite quotes:

Fear doesn't keep you from dying, it keeps you from living.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm not afraid - just find it disgusting. I have a great immune system and would probably never get sick. That's not the reason I avoid public water holes of any kind.:)

Happy sails.

Kathy

Hi!

I read posts of people who don't use the pools or hot tub because they want to avoid infections... Is there something worst in the pools than let say.... at the buffet??? Is it worst than your community pool?? Do they use a different way to sanitize that is less efficient?? I'm concerned.... :confused:

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this. :rolleyes:

With hot tubs its usually a matter of ignorance. A lot of people have that fear about them, and IMO some of that comes from jealousy when their friends and neighbors get them at home. Lots of people occasionally get urinary tract infections and if they have even seen a hot tub in the last 30 days, that was the reason for it.

The same people who feel this way probably also think its ok to use E-cigarrettes in elevators and other tight places.

Agree - except I doubt the public pools are safer than our home pools, but certainly as safe with the standards and inspections. Our home pool hasn't been emptied and refilled in years either, which is pretty standard - but I do make sure the chemical levels are kept where they need to be - primarily to avoid the ugly algae from growing! Algae feeds on phosphates, which come from leaves and other plant materials, skin cells, soap residue on clothing, and yes - pee! I use an almost magical chemical called PhosFree which removes all the phosphates. No phosphates, no algae!

QUOTE]

We have a salt water generator and do not use bulk chlorine, the salt cell manufactures the chlorine which is much safer than using chlorine you buy. I have been told by pool attendants on many of the ships that is the system they use also along with fresh filtered sea water. Salt is much easier to transport on a ship than Chlorine.

Our pool has never had a spec of algae, and we use PhosFree also once a season. I am an OCDer with the pool. Our pool is sparkling all year round.

Maybe the trick is to ask when the spa is cleaned and make a bee line for it the minute its usable...first one in wins the prize;)

Edited by BecciBoo

Geez.. this thread is for OC people with germs...

On my last Allure OTS cruise, I was in one of the 2 cantilevered hot tubs near the solarium once or twice a day, and nothing happened to me.

It is better for people not to know too much details.. what you don't know won't kill you, put you into anxiety, and won't prevent you from having a great time.

Germs are everywhere.. it is our immune system at work here that is why we don't get sick often...

It is those who have compromised immune system, not normal people who should worry about this.... geez...

Edited by roquejo

I think some RCI ships use fresh water instead of salt (sea) water in the pools, but I'm not sure which ones. Anyone know?

Most newer ships, especially the larger ones, now use fresh water. The technology for making fresh water has improved quite a bit over the last decade, and the newer ships will have this technology.

Edited by boogs

We have a salt water generator and do not use bulk chlorine, the salt cell manufactures the chlorine which is much safer than using chlorine you buy. I have been told by pool attendants on many of the ships that is the system they use also along with fresh filtered sea water. Salt is much easier to transport on a ship than Chlorine.

Our pool has never had a spec of algae, and we use PhosFree also once a season. I am an OCDer with the pool. Our pool is sparkling all year round.

Maybe the trick is to ask when the spa is cleaned and make a bee line for it the minute its usable...first one in wins the prize;)

Sounds like our pool routines and practices are similar, except we don't have the salt-chlorine generator, so we have to use chlorine. I've had one of the salt generators before and loved it, just haven't coughed up the bucks to put one in on this pool so far. I use PhosFree at the beginning of the season, and then weekly small amounts of PoolPerfect+PhosFree throughout the summer. Sparkling clean and beautiful - and I've found out that its really not very sensitive to chlorine levels with that regimen either - I can keep the chlorine levels fairly low. By the way, I buy the PoolPerfect+PhosFree online for a little over half of what the local Leslie's wants for it.

We were in Spring Branch last weekend visiting the kids & grandbaby. Had a great visit, but dang it was still cold, sure hope spring/summer really arrives soon!

I've never see anyone pee in the buffet. ;)

I use the hot tub and pools once in awhile. Usually I don't because I can't stand the annoying kids in there. At every port we're diving, so getting wet on sea days isn't a real big draw, but it will be on our next cruise with seven sea days in a row. We'll head to Serenity for our water fix.

Oh, and if you don't want your swimsuits to fade from the chlorine, rinse them well in the sink afterwards.

Most newer ships, especially the larger ones, now use fresh water. The technology for making fresh water has improved quite a bit over the last decade, and the newer ships will have this technology.

Not sure what improved technology you are referring to, having worked in marine engineering for nearly 40 years. What has happened is the watermaking capacity has increased several fold, but it still relies on either evaporation or reverse osmosis. I know that a passenger ship of 2200 passengers and 900 crew used 700 metric tons of water per day, so something like Allure would be about 3 times that. What has happened to a lot of larger ships is that they are relying more on reverse osmosis than in the past. Reverse osmosis only requires electricity to operate, so with the larger generators required to make top speed and the ships frequently running below top speed, excess electricity is available to make water. Evaporators needed the heat from the generators' cooling water, and with slower running to save fuel, there was less heat. Still, I'm surprised that the ships are going more to fresh water, as the chemical requirements are the same for both, and draining the pools on Allure weekly would take 2-300 metric tons.

I will say that I know the sanitation procedures for the pools and hot tubs (as well as the buffet) and don't feel unsafe in any of them, I just don't use the hot tubs for my own personal comfort reasons.

As a physician I'm fascinated with people's perception of risk. Yes there are risks to hot tubs but there's also huge risks to overeating, drinking more than 1 or 2 drinks a day, and not sleeping enough. To name a few. Generally people take the risk if the behavior is fun enough to justify it.

Now I see the difference between a risk that is far in the future as opposed to hot tub folliculitus which will happen today, but I'm still intrigued by the reaction of some here.

I'm fully aware of the risks of hot tubs but still enjoy them. And I drank way more than 1 or 2 drinks a day last week.

And BTW urine is sterile and non-toxic (generally sterile I should say.) It smells bad but really it's not harmful, so not sure why people freak over it. In fact we often use a cream made from urea for skin care (urea is one of the main ingredients in urine.) See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urine_therapy

Stool is a different matter. (it's about 50% bacteria by weight, gross huh?)

"ASA" strikes again! Dear doctor, urine is only sterile until it leaves the body.

Go here for more info...http://www.wisegeek.com/is-it-true-that-urine-is-sterile.htm#didyouknowout

I grew up going to the neighborhood pool at the park and also have been in many hot tubs at friends houses and at some resorts. My skin haven't fallen off, I have not gotten any diseases or infections. I'm glad I don't go through life worrying about what might happen if I do such and such a thing! Geeze!

"ASA" strikes again! Dear doctor, urine is only sterile until it leaves the body.

Go here for more info...http://www.wisegeek.com/is-it-true-that-urine-is-sterile.htm#didyouknowout

And how sterile is it if the person has a mild bladder or kidney infection, which many people have but don't even know it.

Umm, yeah, and your point is?!?! Yes, anything sterile becomes non-sterile when introduced into a non-sterile environment. Open up your sterile bandage package, and as you pull the bandage out, surprise, its no longer sterile either. But in both cases the non-sterility was not introduced by the item, but by the surroundings it was exposed to.

Edited by LetsGetWet!

I grew up going to the neighborhood pool at the park and also have been in many hot tubs at friends houses and at some resorts. My skin haven't fallen off, I have not gotten any diseases or infections. I'm glad I don't go through life worrying about what might happen if I do such and such a thing! Geeze!

Ain't that the truth! Heck, I"m looking at the positives here, the more who are paranoid & squeamish about using the pools and hot tubs, the more room for the rest of us! :D

And how sterile is it if the person has a mild bladder or kidney infection, which many people have but don't even know it.

Umm, yeah, and your point is?!?! Yes, anything sterile becomes non-sterile when introduced into a non-sterile environment. Open up your sterile bandage package, and as you pull the bandage out, surprise, its no longer sterile either. But in both cases the non-sterility was not introduced by the item, but by the surroundings it was exposed to.

I think your comments need to be addressed to the doctor who made the "urine is sterile" statement. I agree with both your posts. Urine is only sterile if it is a non infected invironment. Once it hits the air, all bets are off.

We have a hot tub, run it at 100-102 degrees, which is PLENTY hot. We've yet to experience a cruise ship hot tub that got CLOSE to that temperature.

Maxing out the heat would make them uncomfortable for most people (especially those with sunburn) and could exaggerate medical issues like blood pressure.

Since we like it hot-hot-hot, we'll stay out, and leave more room for the rest of you.

My BIL is the local go-to guy on swimming pools, hot tubs, etc. He maintains the local school s and public pools as well as being the main retailer of all things pools. He would never get in any shared water unit without pretesting the water and repeat.

Therefore, I must use every hot tub and pool I see.

Cause he's a jerk...