Sorry to Blow Off Steam or Whine about the Wine

onlyleigh

If we bring 2 bottles of wine on board we don't pay corkage if drunk in cabin but will in the dining room and if we bring more we pay corkage no matter where we drink it. Not much change since we don't drink wine in our cabin.

You are correct. HOWEVER, on a 68 day voyage you can bring 2 bottles on for cabin consumption. After that, if you bring more back from a port stop, it's $18 per bottle no matter where you drink it. Or, they will store it until disembarkation.

Of course, unlike hard liquor, wine must be stored properly or it is destroyed and there is no guarantee your wine will get proper storage.

I don't mean to sound dismissive or flip but we have the choice to not cruise a particular cruise line or, indeed, to not cruise at all.

No one is forcing us to book and sail a HAL cruise.

I find it a bit perplexing that you should say this, given that others have said similar things to you regarding "voting with your pocketbook" on smoking threads.

In those cases, you have staunchly defended your right (and the right of others) to let HAL know your opinion on the matter in hopes they might consider changing the policy.

Why is this different?

I find it a bit perplexing that you should say this, given that others have said similar things to you regarding "voting with your pocketbook" on smoking threads.

In those cases, you have staunchly defended your right (and the right of others) to let HAL know your opinion on the matter in hopes they might consider changing the policy.

Why is this different?

What is the source for the claim that bookings are down?

Based on the info in CCL's annual report, passenger bookings rose 2.4% over the past 12 months, slightly less than the 2.7% increase in passenger capacity. Of course that's for the entire line, not just HAL.

I'm not taking issue with your comments about wine (in fact I agree with it), just wondering about the claim that bookings are down.

Proof is in the website. Proof is in what crew members tell me about their passengers loads. I speak to several each week and they are concerned because with a smaller load their opportunities to earn extra is reduced.

About two years ago, you couldn't find a last minute booking online for a cruise inside two weeks of departure. Nor could you buy it on the dock. Today, you can find cruises up to the day before online. And, I am quietly (although it won't be quiet now) told my Hotel Directors that I know that they are selling cruises on the dock to people who can provide the proper papers (passport and valid credit card) when they are not full.

2.4% over LAST YEAR when there were articles all over the place within the trade about sharply reduced bookings. Comparing bookings to capacity is a bit murky. Bookings and capacity are sometimes actually different numbers depending on how they define them. In other words, a ship can have 50 cabins to book, but a capacity of over 100 because of quads, etc.

If we bring 2 bottles of wine on board we don't pay corkage if drunk in cabin but will in the dining room and if we bring more we pay corkage no matter where we drink it. Not much change since we don't drink wine in our cabin.

Yes.

Just like a smokiing or a dress code thread, the lines draw up and the convo continues...

Both sides have their points.

HAL's defenders are right, the OP can always go to another line. We are not bound to the line the way workers were bound to the company store.

HAL's detractors are right, the OP is protesting something that thefy feel is unfair especially since it was something that was previously allowed by HAL and now is something for which the OP is being charged.

It is odd, how the smoking/w(h)ine/dress code threads end in bickering but the "what do you miss" (AKA rose colored glasses threads) don't generate as much negativity between the various cliques.

Personally I am not a wine drinker, so it is no drops out of my mouth but it does stick in my craw.

When I was last on HAL I "smuggled" 3 bottles of Absinthe as they don't sell it and it is the only spirit in drink. Did they take it? No. If they would've I'd've gotten it at the end of the cruise and would've consumed it then, but that's another discussion.

Back on topic (sort of) the real question within all these threads is how much.

How much money is enough? How big does each board member's private yacht need to be before they are happy? From paying slave's wages to the eviscerating of the provided services/policies, how much is enough?

And not just in cruising, you see it in banking too.

Why is it that so many of us just acquiesce?

Why is it that we're all so apt to knuckle under to a vertically stack corporation that makes obscene profits for the few (preferred stock holders or greater) at the expense of the many (common stock holders, customers & employees)?

Where is our temerity, individual and collective?

When did the law of supply and demand flip to the company demanding the profit and the consumer providing the the profit? Wait, I know that answer. It was the monopolization of the industry to just a few and the collusion of those few.

Derek

Edited by Viesczy

<snip>

Back on topic (sort of) the real question within all these threads is how much.

How much money is enough? How big does each board member's private yacht need to be before they are happy? From paying slave's wages to the eviscerating of the provided services/policies, how much is enough?

And not just in cruising, you see it in banking too.

Why is it that so many of us just acquiesce?

Why is it that we're all so apt to knuckle under to a vertically stack corporation that makes obscene profits for the few (preferred stock holders or greater) at the expense of the many (common stock holders, customers & employees)?

Where is our temerity, individual and collective?

When did the law of supply and demand flip to the company demanding the profit and the consumer providing the the profit? Wait, I know that answer. It was the monopolization of the industry to just a few and the collusion of those few.

Derek

I always say similar about the contracts professional athletes seem to demand (and receive).......

How many millions are enough millions to engender even a little loyalty among team, fans and athletes?

Edited by sail7seas

In today's money those prints would cost $11.19-$15.70.

What did a cabin cost 30 years ago and how much would that be in today's money?

I so agree, in my framing shop, I get clients getting a quote for framing, and they are shocked, they say they only paid this amount before, and I ask when , and the say 10 -15 yrs ago,, :eek: people just don't relies time moves on and upward

more fairly. Other lines do like Princess and both are run by the same head and corporation.At least Princess will let you take more than 1 bottle on board and just charge corkage like it has done in the past. HAL is just getting too greedy.

That is exactly what HAL's new policy is...each person can bring on one bottle of wine at embarkation...and as many additional as they want...at embarkcation or in port...for an $18 per bottle corkage fee. Simple. Save the two freebies for in room enjoyment and bring the others to the MDR...the corkage is paid in advance instead of at the time the bottle is opened.

We brought our two bottles on board in February and paid corkage in the MDR for one; saved the other for the cabin. Then bought the 5 bottle Navigator package...worked out very well. About $17.50 per bottle (plus the 15%) - corkage included.

So much passion. Like many on this thread we are frequent cruisers and do enjoy HAL (we are 4 Star). But unlike some, we also have enjoyed 13 other cruise lines and routinely cruise on various lines that offer the itineraries and prices that suit us. To be very honest, one issue such as wine is generally not going to be the deal breaker when we choose where to spend our money. But the wine situation on HAL is certainly one nail in the coffin. HAL's previous liberal wine policy was one factor that drove us to our 4 Stars. But now, HAL has taken away that "plus" which is just another factor to consider in our decision making. We have 3 long cruises (2 of them are over 30 days) booked this year. In years past, 2 of those 3 cruises (about 65 days) would have been on HAL. But this year only 1 cruise (38 days) is in on HAL while our other 2 are on Princess and Celebrity. If not for the latest wine policy change the Princess cruise would have been a HAL cruise. Not sure it matters since both companies are owned by CCL :).

To be really blunt, if we could find a Celebrity cruise that met our itinerary demands this would be the line we would choose for most cruises. With all things pretty equal, Celebrity blows away the competition on their Elite Plus Benefits (think of this as akin to 4 Star Mariners on HAL). Take away our ability to bring aboard multiple bottles of wine, and our thinking takes us to Celebrity where we get a daily 2 hour cocktail party (drinks are free). While Celebrity (and Princess) have a similar wine policy as we now find on HAL, they offer some other benefits that we do not get on HAL. Sometimes it is the little things that matter.

And by the way, before we get "flamed" by a HAL cheerleader let me put it in perspective. DW and I can save about $50 per day on our booze bill by cruising on Celebrity over HAL. On a 30 day cruise that is about $1500..which for us can be a deal breaker.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I think some of you are right and the reason for the wine prices are to keep the cabin prices down. Like Ruth I only drink once or twice a year. I only drink tea, no soda, so it doesn't affect me either way. Personally I am glad they are keeping the prices down so this middle income retired librarian can cruise.:D

I don't mean to sound dismissive or flip but we have the choice to not cruise a particular cruise line or, indeed, to not cruise at all.

You convinced us! ;)

We will vacation by car. "See the USA in your Toyota"

?

You convinced us! ;)

?:confused::cool:

You convinced us! ;)

?:confused::cool:

LOL......

How the U.S.A. has changed.

Used to be Dinah Shore and her Chevrolet seeing the USA. :D

I have gone to the free tasting of the wine package but rarely found a wine I would order. Now if the had a menu of wines you could choose your 5 bottles from I might be more interested.

I guess HAL might say we get what we pay for with the "free" wine tasting. Most of those wines are from the Navigator Package which means they are generally wines worth about an average $5 (at best) a bottle. Some are drinkable and some are not very good. The two packages (Navigator and Admiral) are carefully designed to generate a profit....knowing that many purchasers are getting 25% or 50% off the price. Even at half price the mark-ups on these wines are several hundred percent.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

I sat back after reading the OP and thought long and hard about this matter and the higher costs of other things on HAL that some call "Nickle and Diming to Death."

I for one am not a drinker (maybe one or 2 drinks per year.) I do not drink sodas, champagne, nor specialty coffees. I am a plain unflavored coffee and tap water person.

With that being said.... HAL COULD appease the drinkers, wine, specialty coffee and sodas, by reverting to letting passengers bring all the wines and champagne they can carry, and lower the price of sodas.

HOWEVER, they could also bring cruise prices up to where they SHOULD be at todays standards (cost of living increases rise annually, so why not cruising pricing?).

Instead of raising the cost of our cruises, they have tried to keep pace with the economy by increasing all other aspects (wine, soda, etc...)

Several months ago, I believe it was long time cruise critic member Bill Roddy who posted the brochures and various pricing of cruises from 1972 (or thereabouts) and what we pay now for a cruise is almost the exact same as then, more than 30 years ago.

HAL is a FOR PROFIT Company and is not in the business to lose money. It is in the business to keep passengers happy and if that means keeping the cruise prices the lowest they can, and keep passengers coming back because of the low fares, then far be it for me to belly ache over the small stuff. And yes, the whining about wines and such to me is small stuff. After all, why should HAL force me to pay for what you consider a must have (wine, soda, specialty coffee, etc.) when I do not use them?

All in all, I consider myself lucky enough to be able to cruise on HAL and thank them for what they do not charge me for!!

Joanie

You have made some valid points.

I guess HAL might say we get what we pay for with the "free" wine tasting. Most of those wines are from the Navigator Package which means they are generally wines worth about an average $5 (at best) a bottle. Some are drinkable and some are not very good. The two packages (Navigator and Admiral) are carefully designed to generate a profit....knowing that many purchasers are getting 25% or 50% off the price. Even at half price the mark-ups on these wines are several hundred percent.

Hank

On our recent Noordam cruise, the Wine Tasting was $15, I believe. Because we're 4*, it was complimentary". Having said that, the chardonnay I selected for the five bottle package (Toasted Head) is one I buy sometimes at home. $13-$14 a bottle. I've seen it on sale for $11.

Edited by innlady1

On our recent Noordam cruise, the Wine Tasting was $15, I believe. Because we're 4*, it was complimentary". Having said that, the chardonnay I selected for the five bottle package (Toasted Head) is one I buy sometimes at home. $13-$14 a bottle. I've seen it on sale for $11.

Interesting - then the markup is technically not that bad for this wine I guess. If you buy the 7 bottle package (Navigator), it works out to less than $19 per bottle.

That's a little vague........ :D

How many days was that cruise?

How much is comparable today?

the 400 for inside room was for inside room 7 day cruise out of NYC on the great Rotterdam. But to be fare 400 dollars went a lot more in 1977 ( single room was 600 also inside), also I do not think Hal has any ship as elegant as the 1977 Rotterdam today, heinkens were 75 cents.

Interesting - then the markup is technically not that bad for this wine I guess. If you buy the 7 bottle package (Navigator), it works out to less than $19 per bottle.

That's absolutely correct. The package wines are a very good deal for the 4 star plus crowd. The selection includes good, solid wines. Nothing that spectacular, but good capable wines overall.

Interesting side note - We were having a discussion about drink prices on ships and have reached the conclusion that most people compare beer, cocktail, specialty coffee, and soda prices to what they pay in restaurants. However, most people seem to be comparing wine prices to what they pay in the store. That goes a long way toward explaining the lack of posts like: "Sounding Off About Soda," "Cranky about Cocktails," "B!tching 'bout Beer," and "Carping On Coffee."

For the record, I do think HAL's wine prices by the bottle are high compared to most restaurants. (I always read the wine lists when we go out.) Ten years ago, the wine by the bottle prices were a little lower than the average restaurant prices - in our experience.

The prices for wines by the glass are pretty much in line with what we find in restaurants in Fort Lauderdale.

the 400 for inside room was for inside room 7 day cruise out of NYC on the great Rotterdam. But to be fare 400 dollars went a lot more in 1977 ( single room was 600 also inside), also I do not think Hal has any ship as elegant as the 1977 Rotterdam today, heinkens were 75 cents.

Rotterdam increased fare in 1979, do not remember how much but I was able to do a 10 day cruise on a Itilian ship for same price as Rotterdam 7 day cruise, by the way I think fare is not a problem on Hal just there wine prices .