Minor injury just before cruise

I just injured my knee (torn miniscus). We leave on our cruise in a few days. I know I'll be able to walk around the ship (Allure) and rest when I need to but I'm wondering if there are places to sit when we get to the port and begin to board. I do remember long lines before but was never in need of sitting down. Can anyone advise me on the boarding for Allure? Thank you!

I just injured my knee (torn miniscus). We leave on our cruise in a few days. I know I'll be able to walk around the ship (Allure) and rest when I need to but I'm wondering if there are places to sit when we get to the port and begin to board. I do remember long lines before but was never in need of sitting down. Can anyone advise me on the boarding for Allure? Thank you!

LOTS of nice seating at the Oasis/Allure terminal.

Boarding process is the easiest in the fleet.

Hope you heal quickly!

Maybe you should rent a wheelchair for the cruise?

Two years ago DH broke his kneecap just weeks before our Allure cruise. He was on crutches and doing rehab by sail date. The shoreside staff and onboard crew couldn't have been more helpful. You'll be fine.

Ouch, I've had my same meniscus repaired 3 times. Last year, I received a new ACL to go along with my tear.

If I were you, I would take a neoprene knee brace with me on board. I used to wear mine daily presurgery. Occasionally now, I still have to use it.

Also take along an ice bag in case you swell. You might appreciate having it. I would take anything along for my knee that might be needed. (anti inflammatory med, etc.)

Wishing you the best of luck!

:p

Tore my meniscus week before February cruise in 2013. Had cortisone shot and wore ace knee brace and made it thru. Only problem was it kept me out of belly flop contest and ended my streak at 6 wins.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you contact Special Needs at RCCL you can arrange for wheelchair assistance for boarding and disembarking (long, steep ramps can be very difficult). They will provide a wheelchair and a pusher who picks you up at the door to the terminal and will deposit you at your cabin.

Have sailed on two different cruises approximately one month after torn meniscus surgery.

Each time it worked out fine. I took the elevators more than usual - even just for one floor - as the bending on stairs was a problem for me more than just "straight" walking.

Also asked the cabin steward for extra ice - I was still icing down frequently. Steward was wonderful - when he knew what I needed it for he brought a huge bucket (I think it was one they used around the bars, etc.. to bring ice - it was more like a pail than an ice bucket). Ice worked out very well and steward was great in making sure he brought it.

I also explained at the muster drill that standing on deck for the entire time might be painful. Again, everyone was very nice and let me go with the truly handicapped people in wheelchairs, etc. who were in one of the dining rooms.

Good luck! Enjoy your cruise.

Ouch, I've had my same meniscus repaired 3 times. Last year, I received a new ACL to go along with my tear.

If I were you, I would take a neoprene knee brace with me on board. I used to wear mine daily presurgery. Occasionally now, I still have to use it.

Also take along an ice bag in case you swell. You might appreciate having it. I would take anything along for my knee that might be needed. (anti inflammatory med, etc.)

Did you have tingling/numbness in your toes? I had an MRI today but won't get the results until Tuesday. We sail the next weekend. Thanks for the advice. :-)

Have sailed on two different cruises approximately one month after torn meniscus surgery.

Each time it worked out fine. I took the elevators more than usual - even just for one floor - as the bending on stairs was a problem for me more than just "straight" walking.

Also asked the cabin steward for extra ice - I was still icing down frequently. Steward was wonderful - when he knew what I needed it for he brought a huge bucket (I think it was one they used around the bars, etc.. to bring ice - it was more like a pail than an ice bucket). Ice worked out very well and steward was great in making sure he brought it.

I also explained at the muster drill that standing on deck for the entire time might be painful. Again, everyone was very nice and let me go with the truly handicapped people in wheelchairs, etc. who were in one of the dining rooms.

Good luck! Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you for all the great tips!

Did you have tingling/numbness in your toes? I had an MRI today but won't get the results until Tuesday. We sail the next weekend. Thanks for the advice. :-)

I do not recall having any numbness or tingling but remember there are different types of tears. You could have a nerve involved somehow with those symptoms. I just had a knee so sore at one point, I was using a cane at the hospital (it really sucked) plus mega swelling if I was on my feet continuously. I am doing much better now and my last surgery was in April of 2012. I sincerely hope you get good news on your MRI. Please update us on here and I wish you all the best. :)

One thing for sure is you won't be the only one with a knee brace. We usually see several people with them on every cruise - including DW, who has chronic knee problems. BTW, the med center sells really good elastic knee sleeves, and they're about half what they'd cost on land.:)

I do not recall having any numbness or tingling but remember there are different types of tears. You could have a nerve involved somehow with those symptoms. I just had a knee so sore at one point, I was using a cane at the hospital (it really sucked) plus mega swelling if I was on my feet continuously. I am doing much better now and my last surgery was in April of 2012. I sincerely hope you get good news on your MRI. Please update us on here and I wish you all the best. :)[/quote

Thank you Esmerelda! I am doing better and am excited about boarding this weekend. I'll definitely take it easy this time and do everything I need to do to be ready to take on the flow rider next year. Thanks for your encouragement! Hope you're cruising soon!

I do not recall having any numbness or tingling but remember there are different types of tears. You could have a nerve involved somehow with those symptoms. I just had a knee so sore at one point, I was using a cane at the hospital (it really sucked) plus mega swelling if I was on my feet continuously. I am doing much better now and my last surgery was in April of 2012. I sincerely hope you get good news on your MRI. Please update us on here and I wish you all the best. :)[/quote

Thank you Esmerelda! I am doing better and am excited about boarding this weekend. I'll definitely take it easy this time and do everything I need to do to be ready to take on the flow rider next year. Thanks for your encouragement! Hope you're cruising soon!

Hope you are feeling better!!!....relax on the ship!!!

We will be on the same cruise as you!!!

Hope we all have a great time!!!

2 1/2 more days!!!!

Hope you are feeling better!!!....relax on the ship!!!

We will be on the same cruise as you!!!

Hope we all have a great time!!!

2 1/2 more days!!!!

Thanks! I can't believe it's almost here! Wishing you a wonderful cruise! :-)

Not nearly as much fun. I shredded my meniscus at the beginning of Trade Show season. I had 6 weeks of shows, some including setup and breakdown.

Knee was not stable but I managed. Now I had some powerful happy drugs otherwise I would cry in my sleep.

Friends said they never saw me enjoy shows as much as that year. Heck! I was higher than the show banners attached to the giant balloons.

Bottom line, however, take things slowly and carefully. No Limbo competition. Don't twist the knee.

Have a safe cruise!

If I can enjoy a trade show, you should have a great time!