health issue question

I had surgery for a torn achilles tendon in February. I am still not walking well. My leg swells when on it which makes it painful to walk very much. Should I try to rent a wheelchair for my Oasis cruise April 26? Does Royal Caribbean have them to rent? I was hoping that I would be walking better by now, but alas, it is not to be and I want to enjoy my cruise without being in constant pain from walking. That ship is huge!

I had surgery for a torn achilles tendon in February. I am still not walking well. My leg swells when on it which makes it painful to walk very much. Should I try to rent a wheelchair for my Oasis cruise April 26? Does Royal Caribbean have them to rent? I was hoping that I would be walking better by now, but alas, it is not to be and I want to enjoy my cruise without being in constant pain from walking. That ship is huge!

They do not rent wheelchairs onboard but will refer you to a company that will deliver one to your cabin and pick it up there after the cruise. You may need a folding one that will fit through a regular cabin doorway.

There are a couple of companies that RCI will allow you to rent from. I would call RCI and ask them. I believe Special Needs at Sea is one of the companies. I know at least one of the companies even has power wheelchairs, just in case you don't have a "pusher", or don't feel like wheeling yourself all over one of these huge ships. They also have battery operated scooters, which my mother always rented for a cruise.

Who ever you go with, you schedule the rental and pay in advance and whatever you have reserved will be waiting in your stateroom upon boarding (or whenever the staterooms are ready).

Enjoy that cruise!:)

Do find something to aid you, and consider the range of options. plenty of people use scooters or wheelchairs. On our first Oasis cruise, there was a woman using a knee scooter (aka knee walker). It was a lot more compact than a wheel chair, and she seemed to scoot around the ship quite well without a pusher. rental is probably less expensive, too. You kight consider renting one locally to try it out, then you can bring it along if it works for you.

A folding wheelchair will likely fit into an ordinary cabin if you can walk short distances. A person with a power chair or scooter likely needs a special accessible cabin (door width, storage space and charging).

Edited by Starry Eyes

If you contact Special Needs at RCCL you can arrange for wheelchair assistance for boarding and disembarking (long, steep ramps can be very difficult). They will provide a wheelchair and a pusher who will deposit you at your cabin. If you need a wheelchair during the cruise you must rent one or bring your own.

At the ports it's not bad getting on and off because the gangways are on a low deck and the elevators go there. :)

There are a couple of companies that RCI will allow you to rent from. I would call RCI and ask them. I believe Special Needs at Sea is one of the companies. I know at least one of the companies even has power wheelchairs, just in case you don't have a "pusher", or don't feel like wheeling yourself all over one of these huge ships. They also have battery operated scooters, which my mother always rented for a cruise.

Who ever you go with, you schedule the rental and pay in advance and whatever you have reserved will be waiting in your stateroom upon boarding (or whenever the staterooms are ready).

Enjoy that cruise!:)

My brother is helping me get a power scooter for the week from Special Needs At Sea. Thanks for your info!

Do find something to aid you, and consider the range of options. plenty of people use scooters or wheelchairs. On our first Oasis cruise, there was a woman using a knee scooter (aka knee walker). It was a lot more compact than a wheel chair, and she seemed to scoot around the ship quite well without a pusher. rental is probably less expensive, too. You kight consider renting one locally to try it out, then you can bring it along if it works for you.

A folding wheelchair will likely fit into an ordinary cabin if you can walk short distances. A person with a power chair or scooter likely needs a special accessible cabin (door width, storage space and charging).

Thanks. Found that a power scooter from Special Needs At Sea will fit thru regular stateroom doors, so going to rent one of those. Now I just have to call Royal and arrange for wheelchair at embarkation in case of long lines. Hurts to stand for long times also.

If you contact Special Needs at RCCL you can arrange for wheelchair assistance for boarding and disembarking (long, steep ramps can be very difficult). They will provide a wheelchair and a pusher who will deposit you at your cabin. If you need a wheelchair during the cruise you must rent one or bring your own.

At the ports it's not bad getting on and off because the gangways are on a low deck and the elevators go there. :)

Thanks! Will be calling them today for wheelchair assistance boarding.

Just posted this on a similar thread - thought original OP might find useful.

Have sailed on two different cruises approximately one month after torn meniscus surgery.

Each time it worked out fine. I took the elevators more than usual - even just for one floor - as the bending on stairs was a problem for me more than just "straight" walking.

Also asked the cabin steward for extra ice - I was still icing down frequently. Steward was wonderful - when he knew what I needed it for he brought a huge bucket (I think it was one they used around the bars, etc.. to bring ice - it was more like a pail than an ice bucket). Ice worked out very well and steward was great in making sure he brought it.

I also explained at the muster drill that standing on deck for the entire time might be painful. Again, everyone was very nice and let me go with the truly handicapped people in wheelchairs, etc. who were in one of the dining rooms.

Good luck! Enjoy your cruise.

Just posted this on a similar thread - thought original OP might find useful.

Have sailed on two different cruises approximately one month after torn meniscus surgery.

Each time it worked out fine. I took the elevators more than usual - even just for one floor - as the bending on stairs was a problem for me more than just "straight" walking.

Also asked the cabin steward for extra ice - I was still icing down frequently. Steward was wonderful - when he knew what I needed it for he brought a huge bucket (I think it was one they used around the bars, etc.. to bring ice - it was more like a pail than an ice bucket). Ice worked out very well and steward was great in making sure he brought it.

I also explained at the muster drill that standing on deck for the entire time might be painful. Again, everyone was very nice and let me go with the truly handicapped people in wheelchairs, etc. who were in one of the dining rooms.

Good luck! Enjoy your cruise.

thanks for the info. Just called Royal, and was actually put through right away! I asked for pier wheelchair for boarding and deboarding to avoid standing very long.they were very helpful. My leg from below the knee still swells terribly so I will be taking an ice bag. Good to know my steward should be so helpful to keep me supplied in ice when needed. Wonder if I can get extra pillows to prop it up in bed at night? Can hardly wait! Just 15 days!!

since it looks like you are flying, it might make sense just to bring your own

since it looks like you are flying, it might make sense just to bring your own

i don't have one of my own, but was able to rent one from Special Needs At Sea. Also arranged for wheelchair assistance at the pier. Thanks for replying.

i don't have one of my own, but was able to rent one from Special Needs At Sea. Also arranged for wheelchair assistance at the pier. Thanks for replying.

You can absolutely get wheelchair assist at the airports to get you to and from your plane no problem. Oh, and your room steward will bring you all the pillows you want. Have a great cruise.

laffycruiser, just wanted to mention that there are dining options that may be easier for you, such as the Main Dining Room for breakfast and lunch- rather than the Windjammer. You can order off the menu and be waited on. Check the daily newsletter (Compass) for their hours. Also, you may find helpful tips on the Disabled Cruise Travel forum here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=190. Wishing you a complete recovery and a great Oasis cruise! :) Btw, CareVacations is another company that provides rentals of wheelchairs, scooters, etc. when cruising. See carevacations dot com.

Edited by jmf123

Thanks. Found that a power scooter from Special Needs At Sea will fit thru regular stateroom doors, so going to rent one of those. Now I just have to call Royal and arrange for wheelchair at embarkation in case of long lines. Hurts to stand for long times also.

I am glad it will fit through the door. What cabin category are you in? If the scooter will be parked in the cabin, consider if there will still be plenty of room for you to maneuver around the cabin. I'm no expert, as, knock on wood, I have not yet needed a scooter. I think there is plenty of space in a JS or higher, but in smaller cabin it might get tight...if going with a scooter, you may wish to check with the experienced folks on the disabiled cruiser forum about space issues or whether parking in hallway is apt to be allowed. I'd hate to hear that you or a companion were injured tripping over the thing on the way to the bathroom at night on a rocking ship:eek:.

laffycruiser, just wanted to mention that there are dining options that may be easier for you, such as the Main Dining Room for breakfast and lunch- rather than the Windjammer. You can order off the menu and be waited on. .

Excellent idea :) Hope the OP enjoys their cruise!

We recently sailed on the Explorer of the Seas and my DH was recovering from knee replacement surgery. Due to some other medical issues after the surgery, he had a slow recovery, so we brought his foldable wheelchair with us.

Upon arrival at the pier, we were met with numerous people who would help us move him along and up the gangplank. I also ordered a scooter because he wanted some idependence from me pushing him around. One thing I will tell you about the scooters....they need to be plugged in each night to keep the battery fully charged.

Dependng on your cabin size, electrical connection, etc. you may need to manuver things around to accommodate the overnight charging. The scooter was very helpful and it was nice to have it in the cabin upon arrival and to just leave it there when we debarked at the end of the cruise.

Have patience with the elevators....try to go off-times or give yourself an extra 15-30 minutes if you are attending shows, etc. Its all doable on a ship with a scooter or wheelchair....just bring your patience and have a wonderful time!!!

We recently sailed on the Explorer of the Seas and my DH was recovering from knee replacement surgery. Due to some other medical issues after the surgery, he had a slow recovery, so we brought his foldable wheelchair with us.

Upon arrival at the pier, we were met with numerous people who would help us move him along and up the gangplank. I also ordered a scooter because he wanted some idependence from me pushing him around. One thing I will tell you about the scooters....they need to be plugged in each night to keep the battery fully charged.

Dependng on your cabin size, electrical connection, etc. you may need to manuver things around to accommodate the overnight charging. The scooter was very helpful and it was nice to have it in the cabin upon arrival and to just leave it there when we debarked at the end of the cruise.

Have patience with the elevators....try to go off-times or give yourself an extra 15-30 minutes if you are attending shows, etc. Its all doable on a ship with a scooter or wheelchair....just bring your patience and have a wonderful time!!!

thanks Sue! it's good to hear everything is pretty much accessible for me. Most important is the shows, dining and swimming. I can walk, just not far or stand very long. So the scooter will be great. I intend to enjoy my cruise to the fullest! Who knows when we will have the chance to go again. :-)