Bringing wine onboard

Wife's a bit paranoid so she asked me to check with the experts , so naturally I ask here , I know your allowed 2 bottles of wine up 750ml each her question is do you carry them on or place in your checked luggage ? And also as long as they remain in your cabin there no corkage fee , ....personally can't stand wine , I only sail RCL because of the best mojitos on the high sea

Cheers

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Wife's a bit paranoid so she asked me to check with the experts , so naturally I ask here , I know your allowed 2 bottles of wine up 750ml each her question is do you carry them on or place in your checked luggage ? And also as long as they remain in your cabin there no corkage fee , ....personally can't stand wine , I only sail RCL because of the best mojitos on the high sea

Cheers

I take mine in my carry on for two reasons.

-Less risk of breakage. If my checked bag was handled roughly by the longshoremen, red wine could make a huge mess.

-Less risk of luggage being held. If bottles are in a checked bag, they may be detected bysecurity XRay. If they do not know if those are wine bottles or liquor bottles, the bag may go to the "naughty room" rather than being delivered to the cabin. That results in a delay getting the bag and time spent claiming bag from naughty room. Not the end of the world, but not be most fun thing on the first evening.

Either way is fine; I find carry on is easier.

No corkage as long as the bottle is not at a public venue that serves wine. You can pour yourself a glass and take it anywhere you wish though, no corkage for that.

We recently took our two bottles on in our carry-on through Cape Liberty (Bayonne). The screener asked if she could open our case -- of course. Once she saw they were bottles of wine she let us go through. I just rearranged the mini fridge in the cabin and kept them in the door for when I wanted a glass of wine (DH is not a wine drinker either).

I don't know if I would do it again or not.....only drank one bottle, left the second for the cabin steward. It just as easy to grab a drink where/when/what I want to bring it back to the cabin if I so choose.

But, yes, carry them on....do not put them in your checked luggage!

Cheers

I wonder if their mojitos have suffered without the availability of fresh limes?

Seems like the port people have all gotten used to the plan now so no troubles carrying it on.

When we were on Serenade in February, they were so rushed (Ship was late that day), I could have probably carted in a whole case and nobody would have noticed.

Don't put it in your checked bags. Just carry it along.

We've booked 2 cabins and when we booked them we had to book one adult and one child into each (although knew that we'd swap around once on board). However, we thought that at least we'd be able to get 2 bottles each on as we were officially in separate cabins.

Now I've looked on the cruise countdown and it looks like one booking is both adults and the other is both children...not worth the risk?

Moya

We've booked 2 cabins and when we booked them we had to book one adult and one child into each (although knew that we'd swap around once on board). However, we thought that at least we'd be able to get 2 bottles each on as we were officially in separate cabins.

Now I've looked on the cruise countdown and it looks like one booking is both adults and the other is both children...not worth the risk?

Moya

Strange how people were switched from one cabin to another. Did you use a TA who may have switched them around as I can't see RCI doing this on their own.

As far as the wine. In our experience whenever we have brought 4 bottles of they even questioned us we just flashed the paperwork for 2 cabins and that was it. They never checked who was actually listed in the cabins.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

Moya

How is it that the occupants of the staterooms has changed online?

Cheers

they PREFER carry on due to a myriad of reasons, some of which includes not having to schlep down to the Naughty Room to verify that it is indeed just wine and not Johnny Waker Red, and two if it breaks you are only ruining what's in the c/o, not your clothes and the poor guy whose suitcase was right underneath yours when it leaked everywhere.

you may pour a glass in your cabin and take it into a dining room or other locale as well with no issues. so you don;t have to drink your Mojitos alone....

Moya

2 bottles per cabin no matter the age. I have two connecting cabins, one is booked with my husband and me, and the other is booked with our children (all under 11 years of age). We are bringing 4 bottles. I'm paying for the cabins, I'm bringing the wine. Plus I have three young kids on a cruise, I need all the wine I can get!

Either way is fine; I find carry on is easier.

No corkage as long as the bottle is not at a public venue that serves wine. You can pour yourself a glass and take it anywhere you wish though, no corkage for that.

Agree. with this POV.

2 bottles per cabin no matter the age. I have two connecting cabins, one is booked with my husband and me, and the other is booked with our children (all under 11 years of age). We are bringing 4 bottles. I'm paying for the cabins, I'm bringing the wine. Plus I have three young kids on a cruise, I need all the wine I can get!

Three young kids , I don't think 4 bottles is enought