Request copy of security footage?

Sparkygirl

Does anyone know who to contact at NCL to request a copy of security footage from onboard a ship? We know my daughters injury was recorded and my husband and my initial evaluation of her condition should also be captured. Her doctors are asking us more about her injury and timeline which the footage would provide.

We are not suing NCL it was an accident the footage request is for medical documentation of her condition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know who to contact at NCL to request a copy of security footage from onboard a ship? We know my daughters injury was recorded and my husband and my initial evaluation of her condition should also be captured. Her doctors are asking us more about her injury and timeline which the footage would provide.

We are not suing NCL it was an accident the footage request is for medical documentation of her condition.

There are a number of issues (liability, privacy, etc) at play here. It is highly unlikely that they are going to just "give" you footage just because you ask.

If you need the footage, it will likely require, and I suggest you obtain, the services of an attorney.

Best of luck.

There are a number of issues (liability, privacy, etc) at play here. It is highly unlikely that they are going to just "give" you footage just because you ask.

If you need the footage, it will likely require, and I suggest you obtain, the services of an attorney.

Best of luck.

Thank you for you response. I suspected as much that we will need an attorney to obtain the footage. We are waiting for her to see a neurologist and will see if they absolutely needs the footage or if we can piece everything together without it.

Thank you for you response. I suspected as much that we will need an attorney to obtain the footage. We are waiting for her to see a neurologist and will see if they absolutely needs the footage or if we can piece everything together without it.

Praying for healing for your daughter. Hope it goes well as you seek treatment for her.

Yes, you would need a lawyer to obtain this. And it would not be a simple thing, as without a consent form from everyone who's face is on the recording, NCL will have to redact (blur) everyone's face before releasing it, and the cost of this including the lawyer present while doing this (or a bonding of the video tech, to certify that nothing else was changed) would be on you. You would also have to release NCL from any liability resulting from the use of the video, either against them or a third party. There would be no reason for NCL to deny having the recording. They normally keep the DVD's for more than a year, and this is required under their Safety Management System.

Yes, you would need a lawyer to obtain this. And it would not be a simple thing, as without a consent form from everyone who's face is on the recording, NCL will have to redact (blur) everyone's face before releasing it, and the cost of this including the lawyer present while doing this (or a bonding of the video tech, to certify that nothing else was changed) would be on you. You would also have to release NCL from any liability resulting from the use of the video, either against them or a third party. There would be no reason for NCL to deny having the recording. They normally keep the DVD's for more than a year, and this is required under their Safety Management System.

Thank you! You have provided a key piece of information about how long we have to initiate the request. It's interesting that in writing my incident report I was incredibly detailed that security kept coming back to me while writing it asking if I was finished. I finally had to explain to them my husband and I were the ones to immobilize our daughter after examining her and finding paralysis. Should later on something be found to be wrong we as her parents acting within our professional scope of practice were responsible not NCL. The video footage is essentially documentation of release of NCL from liability in this issue. My daughter jumped/slid down the slide children's slide she is 3 and was doing what a 3 year old does. She happened to land perfectly to cause problems.

So sorry this happened! But if she had slid down a slide at a neighborhood park without cameras there would be no footage. Hopefully her neurologist will be able to successfully treat her without seeing the accident. Best of luck.

Thank you! You have provided a key piece of information about how long we have to initiate the request. It's interesting that in writing my incident report I was incredibly detailed that security kept coming back to me while writing it asking if I was finished. I finally had to explain to them my husband and I were the ones to immobilize our daughter after examining her and finding paralysis. Should later on something be found to be wrong we as her parents acting within our professional scope of practice were responsible not NCL. The video footage is essentially documentation of release of NCL from liability in this issue. My daughter jumped/slid down the slide children's slide she is 3 and was doing what a 3 year old does. She happened to land perfectly to cause problems.

Sorry to hear about her injuries. I understand you are not claiming any liability against NCL, but they could possibly be held responsible for the accident in the first place. Another thing I thought about. I was on an NCL ship when lawyers came onboard to take video's of the engine control room and bridge (lawsuit filed when the Sky heeled over at sea, and 100 pax were sent to the hospital in Vancouver), and we had to either remove or cover any printed matter in the room. Apparently, if something shows in a video, that can be read, it can be subpoenaed.

So sorry this happened! But if she had slid down a slide at a neighborhood park without cameras there would be no footage. Hopefully her neurologist will be able to successfully treat her without seeing the accident. Best of luck.

The only reason it had even come up is that her medical records make reference to the video in the report received by the local hospital from the cruise ship.

I assume you have already tried an appeal, say on the roll call for your cruise if any fellow passengers were taking video/photos at the time. A long shot I know but on my last cruise it felt like everytime I was at a bar people were walking around with devices recording the ship..

Have you tried offering a legal document releasing NCL from any liability for your daughter's injuries, if the give you the video? That might make them get it to you faster and I'm sure your daughter's doctor would like it asap.

My prayers go out for a speedy recovery for your daughter.

The only reason it had even come up is that her medical records make reference to the video in the report received by the local hospital from the cruise ship.

Could your doctor's office request it then with the original records from the local hospital? So sorry you are going through this and prayers for a full recovery.

Edited by Steeler Nation At Sea

Have you tried offering a legal document releasing NCL from any liability for your daughter's injuries, if the give you the video? That might make them get it to you faster and I'm sure your daughter's doctor would like it asap.

My prayers go out for a speedy recovery for your daughter.

As I said, even if they release NCL from any liability, without redacting or obtaining consent from anyone who's face is visible in the video, they won't release it.

I just want to say thank you. Your posts as a former employee provide genuine clarity into many areas which are murky for we passengers.

Appreciate you taking the time to post.

Stephen

Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope your daughter makes a speedy recovery. But I am confused about wanting the video from the accident about the timeline. No one can remember what time the accident happened? She was not seen by the ship's doctor? The timeline question seems to be answered by the patient, doctor on board and parents who responded to the accident. Sorry, just seem confused how the video would help doctors. Maybe the lawyers will be assisted. I have never heard of a doctor asking to see a video of an accident. They can treat the patient with a proper diagnosis.

Sorry if I seem confused.. not making light of the situation but this is an odd request from a doctor. For example, if I slipped and fell on the pool deck and broke my foot, maybe I was not aware it was broken. But I could remember when it happened and when the doctor diagnosed it as a broken foot, I don't see how a video would assist the doctor in treating the injury. Can you say what kind of accident this was?

I have been following this for some hours now....

I am so glad your little girl is doing better and hope for a full and speedy recovery.

NOW.... There is not a chance in Hades short of a court order that the cruise line is going to turn over any tape of the incident resulting in the accident to your daughter.

NOT A CHANCE!!!! No way... Nada.

This to me looks like you want to sue and no legal dept is going to allow this, short of the very very expensive court order and I imagine they would fight that tooth and nail.

Ok I'll go back to lurking :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Wow why not simply write to NCL and ask them to provide documentation of the incident? Being able to ride along on Apollo 11 would have given you proof we landed on the moon, see what i am saying? :)

Seriously...no. I do not see what you're saying, at all. Put another way: huh?

I does seem to me that written documentation, especially on letterhead, form a doctor would be much better than a simple video. Anyone can make a video anywhere that looks like what you want it to 'prove'.

They don't want to prove anything, they want to understand the sequence of events.