Sideways Interior Stateroom

trbarton

Do they have more sq. ft. as compared to an obstructed outside cabin?

Obsructed View = 168 sq

Inside = 160 - 182 sq

From what I can tell they are 182 sq. so some nice extra footage.

Not sure about the mixed reviews though.

I was in A507 on the Star in May & loved the extra space. Bathroom is the same size but way more room to walk around than a reg interior room. The bed was not next to the door - on 1 side was a nightstand and interior wall. On the other side was a nightstand and the desk/dresser/mirror combo. You could see onto the bed however when you opened up the door. No more noise than any other room I've ever had. I would book again in a heartbeat.

I agree with the posters that recommend the sideways interior cabins on the Crown Class and Caribbean Class vessels, as I have seen them on numerous cabin crawls. I can tell you from personal experience on the Royal in L208 that this is not the same extra large cabin enjoyed on the Ruby, Emerald, and Caribbean Princess.

This Royal sideways cabin has several obstacles to overcome including very limited traffic spaces between the closets and bathrooms. If you want to get into the safe, clear the area because no one is coming through!

Secondly, the top desk drawer the hairdryer is in makes it nearly impossible to open the cabin door if someone is blow drying their hair. I nearly took the drawer off its rollers opening the cabin drawer while my wife as drying her hair.

Third, the television is affixed to the wall and does not swivel which is not a real big deal, however it aligns for optimal viewing for only the first person in the bed closer to the door.

Lastly, the closet space is diminished a bit and the amount of clothes one may hang is limited.

Also, you get a little bit of early morning and late evening noise from the deck chairs above you at the retreat pool in the front of the ship.

Now these are not huge deals, but if I had it to do over again, personally I would not book a sideways interior cabin on the Royal, but would on the Ruby, Emerald or Caribbean Princess, just my opinion.

Ken

I would have to agree with everything you said about the Royal/Regal sideways cabins. I also had problems with the hair dryer drawer being in the way of the door to the cabin, and not being able to look into the desk mirror while blow drying which I think most of us who style while drying, need. Also the smaller hanging space in the closet, and the congestion around the safe, clothes cabinets and bathroom door area. I think on those two ships I will book the usual port/starboard orientation inside.

On any other ship I think the sideways cabin would be fine.

It was A403. Although we did think it was a larger cabin, it is a bit different.

YOu have the closets closed into a wall which was nice and the bathroom behind the tv and desk area.

I could stretch out my arm on the bed and touch the door. I felt too close to the door when in bed and not sleeping ;) ! I prefer the bed as far from the door as possible. Maybe sound travels the same, but I felt I could not even talk in bed since we were right there by the door.

Edited by camofwilliamsburg

Are there any photos out there of the sideways cabins on the Royal or Regal? we have one booked on the Royal in the British Isles in June. Perhaps I want to change to a regular one? Thanks!

I don't have any photos but you can find plenty if you do a Google search. This is one of those things that is totally personal preference. What one person likes another person may not. We LOVED our sideways inside on the Royal and would not have booked the more traditional set up which seemed much smaller to me. The closet space seemed very efficient to us and we had no issues with the set up of anything in the room.

Just one caveat. don't book a quad. They have the bunks hanging off of the side of the wall over the bed, and it gave me claustrophobia just looking at it. Some say they tended to hit their head when getting out of bed I was happy to get this information and I was able to switch my cabin to a double instead of the quad. I'll take photos when I sail next month.

Here is a link with some photos taken by someone who was in a quad. I had an even better picture but can't find it just now. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=40902059&postcount=461

The Royal sideways interior cabins don't have an air vent at the bottom of the door, so the sound transmission is a lot less. I really don't like the air vents in the cabin doors on Princess, so was happy to see the more solid doors on the Royal. So even though the bed is closer to the door, you feel like you have more privacy.

We had one for a long cruise and it was fine - even in rough weather it didn't make any difference to us - can't remember is if was bigger. We tried to book the same cabin for our next cruise 8 months away and it was already booked.

Are there any photos out there of the sideways cabins on the Royal or Regal? we have one booked on the Royal in the British Isles in June. Perhaps I want to change to a regular one? Thanks!

These are from the Royal. I assume the Regal are the same.

Queen -though the last picture of the bed is not from the same room.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1994168&highlight=inside+cabin+royal

Twin

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2034317&highlight=inside+cabin+royal

Edited by Cinerama