Statendam 14 day Alaska in 2015

PSR

I was away on vacation for awhile, but I just looked at the Alaska 2015 cruises and found out that the Statendam will be doing 14 day cruises from Seattle in 2015 throughout the summer. I guess this will replace the Amsterdam? I did not see any comments on CC about this; maybe I just missed them. Is this not of interest because the ship is older? The ports are all the same.

Thankyou for pointing that out. In 2012, the Amsterdam was doing the 14 day out of Seattle. Then in 2013, HAL changed the Seattle cruises to 7 days. A lot of us really liked the 14 day and we made our wishes known. Then this year HAL scheduled four 14 day cruises for the Amsterdam. Apparently the 14 day cruises sold better than expected, (the prices went up) and HAL decided to give it a try again, but with the slightly smaller and slightly older Statendam.

This is a fantastic cruise. We are booked for it this year, and we will book it again next year. It has been quite a while since we sailed on the Statendam.:)

We were booked to do the Amerterdam's 14 day cruise this summer (again) but cancelled. I was really hoping that she would be doing it again in 2015.

It has been years since we sailed on the Statendam -- have read too many reports about her condition - doubt if we will book her.

We are starting to consider this cruise for 2016. I notice that Statendam is doing the 14 route the entire Alaska season, where Amsterdam only did it 3-5 times in the Alaska season. I am going to take that as indicating there is demand for the 14 day route, and we will see it in 2016.

We took the Statendam for 43 days this last fall and she is in good shape. She was totally updated several years ago, and she is probably the cleanest of Hal ships we have been on. I would not hesitate taking her for a 14 day Alaska cruise.

We did that 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam several summers ago and really enjoyed it. Nice to see that Hal is going to keep that itinerary around.

• 4 weeks later...

We did the 14 day Alaska on the Amsterdam a few years ago and loved it. Were so glad to see HAL bring it back. We sailed on the Statendam last year with our granddaughter. The ship seemed in great shape to me. We do like the smaller ships anyway.

I might have to cancel my August 14 Day Amsterdam Alaska cruise for this year also. I am holding out hope that I can still go, but I'm not devastated because we know we can go in 2015 if things don't work out.

Anyone have any special nook or cranny to share about the Statendam. I'm considering the EE's on the aft of the promenade deck. The pix on HALFacts were very helpful.

Am hoping we can take it in 2015. Without Skagway and Glacier Bay it's going to be harder to sell DH. Loved the size and outdoor spaces on Veendam and want to meet the other S class ships before they sail into the sunset.

We have booked an EE cabin at the front of the ship on the Lower Promenade on the Statendam for the 14 day Alaska July 2015 - our choice. We had a similar cabin on the Amsterdam and loved the fact that it was just a few steps to get outside( Almost like having a verandah and an excellent compromise for us as we wanted to do some of the more expensive shore excursions). Of course on the front you may get more motion especially on the trip from the inside passage up to Anchorage, etc. Luckily this hasn't been a problem for us.

We took the Statendam for 43 days this last fall and she is in good shape. She was totally updated several years ago, and she is probably the cleanest of Hal ships we have been on. I would not hesitate taking her for a 14 day Alaska cruise.

We did that 14 day cruise on the Amsterdam several summers ago and really enjoyed it. Nice to see that Hal is going to keep that itinerary around.

That is good to hear!

We did the 30 day cruise on the Statendam this Spring. Disembarked on April 15th. We loved it. The staff was great. Food was really good. They were constantly painting, and polishing the ship. Would not hesitate to book on this ship again. Hmmmmm....wonder if I can talk hubby into Alaska next year???????????/

• 2 weeks later...

I have never cruised with Holland America before. I am looking at this 14-day Alaskan cruise for the summer of 2015. It looks like a great itinerary for Alaska. Any comments on how the Statendam's condition will be before it is transferred to a sister cruise line? Hopefully it will be well maintained.

See-- http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5860