Freedom to Puerto Rico?

We booked a cruise on FOS this morning, and the eastern itinerary is going to San Juan instead of St. Thomas. Does this happen often?

Not often, but I've seen it a few times.

Are you getting a full day in San Juan or a short stay like with most RCI cruises that visit there as a port of call?

I just had to pull up my reservation to check! It's only from 10:00am - 6:00pm. Still pretty excited about this. We've been to St. Thomas several times. And not that that's a bad thing, but it's nice to have something different to look forward to.

I just had to pull up my reservation to check! It's only from 10:00am - 6:00pm. Still pretty excited about this. We've been to St. Thomas several times. And not that that's a bad thing, but it's nice to have something different to look forward to.

It is still longer than usual.

That's better than we had on Indy a while back. I think we left at 2pm.:eek:

It is still longer than usual.

That's a good thing!

Now if I can just spend the next 6 months looking forward to our cruise, instead of worrying that either of my inlaws is going to fall and break a hip, or something else equally as bad or worse, before or during our trip, I'll be okay.

We did take out the insurance, and plan on insuring our flights as well.

My husband and I have never cruised alone before.

If you took RCI's travel insurance, your flights are covered. No other insurance necessary. If you bought other insurance, just curious as to why you didn't insure the entire price of the trip, including flights? Very wise to buy insurance with older parents in the mix. We have had to cancel two cruises because of MIL health problems.

If you took RCI's travel insurance, your flights are covered. No other insurance necessary. If you bought other insurance, just curious as to why you didn't insure the entire price of the trip, including flights? Very wise to buy insurance with older parents in the mix. We have had to cancel two cruises because of MIL health problems.

I took out the insurance that RC offered when we booked. I had no idea it also covered our flights. Does it cover flights made if you don't use Choice Air?

I would never book a cruise without insurance, but this will be a first time I've thought about insuring flights.

Leaving next Sunday on Freedom. Booked to sail on Easter Sunday just because of San Juan.

If you've never been there it easily walkable. There is also a free trolley that makes two different loops. No narration as it is not a sightseeing thing just free transportaion. Love walking around the old city. Great architecture!!

Edited by jebl

Leaving next Sunday on Freedom. Booked to sail on Easter Sunday just because of San Juan.

If you've never been there it easily walkable. There is also a free trolley that makes two different loops. No narration as it is not a sightseeing thing just free transportaion. Love walking around the old city. Great architecture!!

Never been before, and this sounds great!

In the minority here, but I would be disappointed. I'd much rather go to St Thomas than San Juan! One way to ruin a perfectly good cruise would be if they had to substitute Nassau for one of the ports. That might be a deal breaker there!:D

Why all this dislike of St. Thomas? I very much like San Juan but I also enjoy St. Thomas too. Now, if going to San Juan meant loosing St. Maarten that might be a deal breaker for me. I always look forward to every one of our visits there.

Jules815, Yes it covers independently booked flights. I have a hard copy of the policy which I had mailed to me a few years ago. Much easier to read than trying to read it on line, either on the RCI website or in your cruise documents.

It looks like San Juan has replaced St Thomas for every sailing from Sept 2014 until April of 2015.

Whoa.....will have to go check my booking then. If San Juan has replaced St Thomas for April 2015, I WILL rebook our cruise.

My girlfriend and I are booked for the April 20th (Easter Sunday) sailing on Freedom. Not only did this particular sailing work out with our schedules, but we also found what Old San Juan had to offer to be more appealing than St. Thomas. We thought it would add a bit more diversity to our 3 ports. We have never been to any of these ports (first eastern trip for both of us), but we felt that we were getting a better value out of Old San Juan and its cultural and historical offerings, because it's not simply another island paradise (I'll admit it's impossible to complain about having too many of those). We will be back some day, and an opportunity to try St Thomas will be in the cards.

I've heard that cell reception for those with Verizon or AT&T (his and hers) is at normal rates in San Juan due to it being a US territory. Can anyone confirm either carrier?

Hope everyone enjoys. T-minus one week for us!

Billy

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My girlfriend and I are booked for the April 20th (Easter Sunday) sailing on Freedom. Not only did this particular sailing work out with our schedules, but we also found what Old San Juan had to offer to be more appealing than St. Thomas. We thought it would add a bit more diversity to our 3 ports. We have never been to any of these ports (first eastern trip for both of us), but we felt that we were getting a better value out of Old San Juan and its cultural and historical offerings, because it's not simply another island paradise (I'll admit it's impossible to complain about having too many of those). We will be back some day, and an opportunity to try St Thomas will be in the cards.

I've heard that cell reception for those with Verizon or AT&T (his and hers) is at normal rates in San Juan due to it being a US territory. Can anyone confirm either carrier?

Hope everyone enjoys. T-minus one week for us!

Billy

Both Verizon and AT&T treat Puerto Rico the same as the mainland US.

Both are fine in our book - we have been to each at least 5 times.....a day visit in San Juan is great! You have all day to explore Old San Juan, both forts, and do some shopping and eating. You dock right in Old San Juan - no need for taxis unless you are too tired to walk back. Try to visit the Cathedral where Ponce de Leon is buried - really cool. You will have a great time in San Juan! Also, Verizon works fine - good reception and NO surcharges!

Enjoy!