Mini Crown Review - 4/5 Cruise

fabby50

My husband just finished his "tongue firmly in cheek" review for his Facebook page. We are planning/going on a everyone-turns-60 reunion cruise to Alaska next year with Princess. There was a lot of chatter about the selection and folks knew we went on the cruise, so he put this together for their Facebook page.

We successfully returned from the seven day Crown Princess "Coastal California Contagion" cruise. If you haven't heard, the ship was struck with a possible norovirus outbreak with some 122 passengers and 30 crew reportedly becoming ill at some time during the cruise (from CDC report).

Our itenerary included the opportunity to infect several ports, including: San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego, and Ensenada. At each port we were greeted with interesting headlines and news reports: "Norovirus Sickens Crown Princess Cruise Ship Passengers" (nbcbayarea.com) [30 reported ill at the time of port in Frisco] , "Crown Princess Ship Visits Santa Barbara with Norovirus" (keyt.com, FOX News) [70 passengers, 20 crew reported ill at time], "Cruise ship with sick passengers docks in San Diego" (cbs8.com) [94 passengers, 23 crew reported ill at time of port]. In Ensenada we shared the docks with the Celebrity Century and overheard their onboard announcement basically encouraging avoiding THOSE people. Above all, "Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands."

Now, an observation. There were 3161 passengers and 1176 crew onboard. During the cruise 3.5% reported symptoms (which have yet to be proven to all be norovirus-caused). And while it's not desireable to have something that may cause nausea or diarhhea running around loose on board, it should be kept in mind that the primary onboard activity, the extreme overindulgence of food and drink, could also result in similar symptoms in those that have not properly prepared their bodies with rigorous training.

I personally experienced few inconveniences or met anyone who had. We did use the hand sanitization stations a lot, but we always do anyway. Sure, passengers weren't allowed to dish up their own food at the buffet, but we tend to avoid that dining opportunity anyway for other reasons. I was still able to get two massages, a manicure, and a pedicure, all critical cruise requirements.

The one MAJOR inconvenience I suffered, and one I firmly believe Princess should compensate for with an all-expense-paid replacement cruise, was the lack of olives in my dirty martinis. For some reason that was never adequately explained, they could only put in the brine, but no olives. It was truly barbaric and nearly unbearable!

Edited by fabby50

I love your mini review! We were also on the Crown last week, and still managed to have a great time. We weren't about to let the "funk" ruin our vacation! We considered it a perk to have the staff serve us at the Horizon Buffet. We wish that was standard procedure. The food area was never too crowded, and it helped keep people from "playing" in the food. The only negative for us was the dining room experience. We only ate in there 3 nights, but it was painfully slow. We're hoping it was due to virus precautions. The food was always good though. We also received a free balcony upgrade prior to sailing, so that was another positive. We can always find negatives if we look hard enough - we choose not to. After all, we're on a cruise, visiting some fabulous ports, and we're NOT AT WORK. :) Nuff said. Not to be too much of a downer, but I've just learned moments ago that a co-worker has passed away unexpectedly. We could have worse problems - sure puts things in perspective. Count your blessings!

OP...I like your husbands attitude and that it didn't "ruin" your cruise. :p At the end of 2012 we were on a cruise that the press hyped as a Norovirus cruise which affected a similar number of passengers as on your cruise. The minor inconveniences for passengers are nothing in comparison to the extra work required by the crew.

. . . .

The one MAJOR inconvenience I suffered, and one I firmly believe Princess should compensate for with an all-expense-paid replacement cruise, was the lack of olives in my dirty martinis. For some reason that was never adequately explained, they could only put in the brine, but no olives. It was truly barbaric and nearly unbearable!

:eek::eek: OMG . . . no olives in your dirty martinis. I would have been beside myself! Yes, you totally deserve a free replacement cruise for having to endure that! :D:D

My husband just finished his "tongue firmly in cheek" review for his Facebook page. We are planning/going on a everyone-turns-60 reunion cruise to Alaska next year with Princess. There was a lot of chatter about the selection and folks knew we went on the cruise, so he put this together for their Facebook page.

We successfully returned from the seven day Crown Princess "Coastal California Contagion" cruise. If you haven't heard, the ship was struck with a possible norovirus outbreak with some 122 passengers and 30 crew reportedly becoming ill at some time during the cruise (from CDC report).

Our itenerary included the opportunity to infect several ports, including: San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego, and Ensenada. At each port we were greeted with interesting headlines and news reports: "Norovirus Sickens Crown Princess Cruise Ship Passengers" (nbcbayarea.com) [30 reported ill at the time of port in Frisco] , "Crown Princess Ship Visits Santa Barbara with Norovirus" (keyt.com, FOX News) [70 passengers, 20 crew reported ill at time], "Cruise ship with sick passengers docks in San Diego" (cbs8.com) [94 passengers, 23 crew reported ill at time of port]. In Ensenada we shared the docks with the Celebrity Century and overheard their onboard announcement basically encouraging avoiding THOSE people. Above all, "Wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands."

Now, an observation. There were 3161 passengers and 1176 crew onboard. During the cruise 3.5% reported symptoms (which have yet to be proven to all be norovirus-caused). And while it's not desireable to have something that may cause nausea or diarhhea running around loose on board, it should be kept in mind that the primary onboard activity, the extreme overindulgence of food and drink, could also result in similar symptoms in those that have not properly prepared their bodies with rigorous training.

I personally experienced few inconveniences or met anyone who had. We did use the hand sanitization stations a lot, but we always do anyway. Sure, passengers weren't allowed to dish up their own food at the buffet, but we tend to avoid that dining opportunity anyway for other reasons. I was still able to get two massages, a manicure, and a pedicure, all critical cruise requirements.

That's why I bring my own olives. However on a celebrity cruise when I asked for some olives to take to my room for a happy hour they brought me a HUGE bowl of them. They were laughing so hard. I didn't need any for the rest of the cruise lol