Do NOT become to complacent as we did :O(

Shippy

So sorry. Yes it is easy to become complacent when one has travelled often without incident.

I just had a wake up call last year in mexico when I had my gold rope chain and pendant snatched off my neck and stood stunned as the thief ran off down the alley with them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Very sorry for your loss, and the fright!

May I ask where in Mexico this occurred, and were your chain and pendant on the outside of your clothing or inside (with just the chain showing on the back of your neck)?

A towel bar, the drain pipe under the sink?

Mike:)

We have a straight cable with lock for the laptop and secure it on the closet bar with the laptop sitting on the upper shelf covered in towels, of course. Jewelry goes in the safe. I have been lax with my Kindle, just leaving it in a drawer. Maybe that will have to go in the safe too! :eek:

Thanks for the info. I just ordered one from Amazon for $100. Cheap insurance. BTW, there are many items in the Pacsafe brand. This one appears to be the 12L.

We have a small one and two larger ones. Smaller for travel and the larger ones for DDs in college.

Like anything else they prevent the amateur, not the professional or desperate thief. Read one report where the thief cut try the fabric and was able to bend the passport thru the mesh. Happened in a third world country. Can't seeing that happening on a cruise ship where 'hit and run' would be more advantageous.

I'm very interested in this product, but perhaps a dumb question. Give me some ideas on where/how you would anchor it, both in a hotel room and a ship stateroom. I'm trying to envision where, since a bed leg could be easily lifted to remove this pack. Just not "seeing" where to secure it. Perhaps to the back of an anchored TV? Help. :o

I have used mine:

Anchored around a beach palapa in Aruba.

Anchored to the plumbing under a sink.

Anchored by hanging off a clothes rack amongst other clothes.

Anchored to a vehicle seat leg (rental car).

Anchored to two sun loungers...not to chair hog them :D

There is always somewhere.

The model that I have is slightly different from the picture that I posted. Mine has a padlock. It came with a couple of keys. One key stays in the room safe and the other key I keep in a small waterproof pouch that is attached to the pocket of my swim trunks.

MrJulius

I'm very interested in this product, but perhaps a dumb question. Give me some ideas on where/how you would anchor it, both in a hotel room and a ship stateroom. I'm trying to envision where, since a bed leg could be easily lifted to remove this pack. Just not "seeing" where to secure it. Perhaps to the back of an anchored TV? Help. :o

As has been said, I think the point is to delay opportunistic thieves, so attaching it to anything that will slow them down will probably do the trick. Absent other good places, I've even looped a laptop lock through a couple of desk drawer handles in the past -- I figured somebody walking down the hallway with a laptop attached to two desk drawers might draw some attention.

From years of police work, most thefts are crimes of opportunity. Purses left unattended in a public area, valuables left on beach blankets, valuables and cash left out in hotel rooms. Thieves come in all sizes and shapes. We arrested a woman who was extremely wealthy for a series of hotel thefts, she liked the thrill. Avoid standing out be Joe average when going off the ship and secure things in your room before you leave.

Very sorry for your loss, and the fright!

May I ask where in Mexico this occurred, and were your chain and pendant on the outside of your clothing or inside (with just the chain showing on the back of your neck)?

I was in San Diego and had walked across the border into Tijuana with a friend. Lots of people around in a wide open pedestrian street filled with little shops, etc.

I was wearing a top with a neckline that showed the whole chain and pendant, so I guess I was really advertising "come and get me"!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

I can't imagine walking into someone else's cabin.

If I needed to speak with the steward I would call him out into the hallway.

Exactly what I was thinking. I have no business walking into someone else's room, and no one should be walking into mine.

We were on the Grand last week as well and my husband did point out that if you didn't physically pull the door all the way shut sometimes it would be left a crack open. The few times it happened to us we caught it in time.

A towel bar, the drain pipe under the sink?

We have a straight cable with lock for the laptop and secure it on the closet bar

Anchored around a beach palapa in Aruba.

Anchored to the plumbing under a sink.

Anchored by hanging off a clothes rack amongst other clothes.

Anchored to a vehicle seat leg (rental car).

Anchored to two sun loungers...not to chair hog them

Yep, all great ideas! Thanks. Probably if I were standing in a hotel room or ship stateroom, I would see all the possibilities. But just couldn't think of any. Thanks much for these suggestions :).