Do NOT become to complacent as we did :O(

Shippy

There are only cameras near the elevator banks, none in pax cabin passageways unless there is a relevent monitored space/door nearby.

Yes I agree security should take the loss report.

We were told by the head of security there are NO cameras in any of the hallways just the public rooms where people gather.

The 'security' key system is a bit of a farce as they soetimes do leave the doors open when cleaning the rooms and leave for a minute to get something.

Another area we were lax is the balcony door. My husband would always bug me to lock that but I did not. There are always crew working on the outside of thw ship.

We did file several differnt reports they required and met with several different people.

All we got was a report paper to turn into our insurance company. I am sure our deductable is higher than the loss.

We never get travel insurance. I would be amazed if they covered your loss when you left things out.

We were on the Grand a few weeks ago, nothing happened to us, but we are lax as well. The only problem is there is not a safe big enough to lock everything up in, but I agree it was most likely a hit and run when the door was left open.

We will have to figure out a way to secure stuff so that its not easy to grab and go...

I used to just put the Ipad in the luggage and shove it under the bed.

Theives are opportunists and will take whats out.

No one will take the time to pull your luggage out and search it not knowing if there is even anything inside......they are in a hurry :O)

So sorry you experienced a burglary on your cruise. Can they trace the Ipad or lock it to make it useless to the thief?

...went to the Apple Store there to ask advice. They said the ipad can only be traced when it was on. They tried but it obviously was not on. We did not have any kind of 'kill switch' app to disable it.

The Apple employee said there is also an app. that will emit a very loud noise if your reported stolen ipad is turned on. The noise does not shut off so the ipad becomes basiclly usless.

We were told by the head of security there are NO cameras in any of the hallways just the public rooms where people gather.

The 'security' key system is a bit of a farce as they soetimes do leave the doors open when cleaning the rooms and leave for a minute to get something.

Another area we were lax is the balcony door. My husband would always bug me to lock that but I did not. There are always crew working on the outside of thw ship.

We did file several differnt reports they required and met with several different people.

All we got was a report paper to turn into our insurance company. I am sure our deductable is higher than the loss.

We never get travel insurance. I would be amazed if they covered your loss when you left things out.

You are right, I should have amended that to say there could be some cameras near elevators etc. Not normally. Not sure how the new ships are equipped.

Once on a cruise left a piece of jewelry (not real expensive) out and could not find it.....reported it to Passenger Relations but never found it. Submitted a claim to our travel insurance and we were reimbursed $500.

Sorry this happened to you, but thanks for the wake up call. I'm as guilty as you in leaving things unsecured, especially my watch and diamond ring when I go ashore. I've usually just thrown them in a drawer. No more!

I think travel insurance might well cover these losses. I've lost the original diamond out of my engagement ring on the Sapphire Princess (I think it was in the Princess Theater, so if you see it...), and had a gold band fall off my finger in the surf. Insurance covered my homeowner's insurance rider deductible in the first case, and provided (something like) half the original purchase value in the second, though I had no receipt for it.

Will your Homeowners Insurance cover it!

Wow! That must have been frightening!!! Were you hurt?

Amazingly, no, I wasn't,t hurt at all. It all happened so fast I was more stunned than frightened. The worst part was this was part of my "uniform"-you know, something I wore all the time as I had inherited it from my mother-her 50th anniversary present.

Felt really stupid not to have known better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

We have sail almost 50 cruises on almost every cruiseline. We have heard of many different types of bad incidents but it always the other guy.

We have gotten very sloppy with our own security. Every cruiseline, as with hotels , tell you to lock up your things and provide you with safes.

We are guilty of things like leaving our phones on the counter charging when we leave the cabin. Also things in the nightstand.

WELL THEY GOT US THIS CRUISE AND IT WAS NOT A PLEASANT EXPERIENCE....

The 3rd day out, we returned to our cabin in the late afternoon to find my Ipad and my husbands dress watch missing. They were in the nightstands.

Our fault for not locking them up...

here is a real kicker.... I immediately called security and demanded to see the security video of our hallway.....THERE ARE NO CAMERAS IN THE HALLWAYS, ONLY PUBLIC AREAS.

I was really shocked, I thought there were cameras everywhere. They immediately shearched our room and our poor cabin stewardess who was hesterical.

Chalk it off to a learning experience..

This happened last week on the Grand

The poor cabin stewardess who was acting hysterical could be part of a thief ring within the ship. Her display could have been acting, and she probably knows who did it. I know a lot of people who steel for a living and know the right way to act to get suspicion off them. It's what they do and there good at it. I think it happens a lot more then the cruise lines will admit. It's best to keep valuables lock up and don't trust anyone. It could have been another passenger to, don't think that couldn't happen.

I feel sorry for what happened to your valuable items.

We learn our lesson the hard way... We were on Marnier of the Sea in 2012 (our very 1st cruise), after we checked in and start arranging our luggage & money, we had to run for the fire drill. The money was forgotten on our table and when we ere back, they were gone.

I do have a question on The size of safe, we are planning to carry our ipad with us this time and wondering if it will fit in the safe? Anyone?

Thanks,

Helena

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Amazingly, no, I wasn't,t hurt at all. It all happened so fast I was more stunned than frightened. The worst part was this was part of my "uniform"-you know, something I wore all the time as I had inherited it from my mother-her 50th anniversary present.

Felt really stupid not to have known better.

I used to roll my eyes at my husband when he would tell me to take off any valuable jewelry when we go into port, but I've started doing it lately. After hearing your story, I'm glad I've been listening to him!

I'm sorry you lost something not only valuable but also meant a lot to you and cannot be replaced. That really stinks!

Will your Homeowners Insurance cover it!

I see you are Canadian and are probably not aware of ALL insurance issues, not just health, in this country.

Watch...$400. Ipad with case.....$650

I think our deductable is $1,000.

Even if a bit more was covered, I would not submit the claim. We would be paid then subsequentially either be canceled or recieve a rate hike.

We really save our insurance claims for a big event......

So sorry. Yes it is easy to become complacent when one has travelled often without incident.

I just had a wake up call last year in mexico when I had my gold rope chain and pendant snatched off my neck and stood stunned as the thief ran off down the alley with them.

A few years back there was a news report of the same thing happening in the San Francisco Bay Area, where I live.

I found it very sad. I had inherited a gold chain with a cross on it from my aunt. I think she wore it almost every day of her life. I intended to do the same.

It is not replacable so now I have to pick and chose when I wear it.

LUCKILY I WAS WEARING IT WHEN THEY STOLE FROM OUR CABIN !

I will make sure it is locked up in the future.

We were on the Star and Sapphire in March and I could not get my iPad to fit in the safe. I always left in out or under the blue Princess binder that is on the desk. Will be more security conscious on our next cruise. You just never know.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks for sharing your story. Somehow I feel safe on the ship but we always put our money, passports and jewelry in the safe. I've been a bit careless with my electronics but not any more. Sorry it happened to you.

Thanks Shippy for sharing - but so sad that this had to happen to you so that you could remind all of us to be careful.

[/quote=Loonbeam;42435677]Worst case, lock it in a suitcase. If nothing else the theft will be ovious.

This is a wonderful idea and not something I would have thought of. Thanks Loonbeam :)

We usually only take the iPad, but on our March Star cruise we decided to take my MacBook. I was really worried about it getting stolen at first until my husband reminded me that we had bought a cable that hooks to the MacBook and can be looped around something to secure it. So glad now that we took that precaution! Thanks for the warning.

Worst case, lock it in a suitcase. If nothing else the theft will be ovious.

Thanks, I never thought of that.

Just to mention that I feel really badly because the primary suspect is the people who clean our rooms. I remember one time when the cabin steward on Princess Caribbean came rushing to my husband in the hallway. "I found your wife's diamond earring while I was cleaning the rug!" he said. We were very grateful for his honesty and hard work, which was worth far more than an earring that wasn't diamond.

Edited by Salacia

While onboard a cruise ship, I use my iPhone for the maps of the ship, games, books I have stored on it. I keep it on airplane mode and did not have a numeric lock on it.) One one of our cruises, I accidentally left my purse with the phone, a brand new coffee card in it after playing trivia. (Ladies, the purse was a small Vera Bradley.) Ten minutes later, when I returned to the room used for trivia, I found the purse and the coffee card but the phone was gone.

After dinner, my wonderful and very wise DH got online (We had free minutes) and went to the Apple store (or was it our carrier) and turned the thing off so they could not use it except for my games, books and apps.

For the rest of the cruise, I checked daily at the passenger's service desk to see if t had been returned but alas, no, it hadn't.

We did have the Princess insurance and they replaced my phone for me. It took some paper work but I got a replacement iPhone for the loss.

My new one (Now a year plus old) has a lock, has the GPS on it if needed, and other things to keep others out of it and easier to find if lost.

We take my Macbook Pro with us on cruises, cameras, and phones but haven't locked those things up when in our room. Guess we too will be more careful in the future.

I am sorry for the OPs loss. Thank you for taking the time to warn others!

Don t become a victim. On the shore leave all jewelry even custome in the safe on the ship. Be aware when walking of the people around you. Men keep your wallet in your front pocket and put some rubber bands around it. On the ship lock up everything before you leave the room and if traveling with a lap top store inside a piece of locked luggage stored under the bed. Make safety a priority