Golden Princess is coming to Australia in 2015!!

:)

Have you been on the Diamond Barry? Skywalkers on there, but I agree it will be great to have some extra amenities.

Will be good to have a choice for longer transpacific cruises, either the Diamond to/from Asia or the Golden to from US.

I also noticed the Golden arrives in Sydney 28th Oct 2015 and departs from Sydney as well on the 14th April 2016 I think it was, might be a chance of 2 nighters between Syd/Mel.

Bring it on I reckon:p

Chez

xx

hi chez,

great to see your still around

Col & Di

I'm very excited about the Golden being based in Melbourne. She's hardly a new build but did have a refit a couple of years back and now has many of the latest Princess trademarks such as Crown Grill, Vines Bar and the International Café.

And if anyone from Princess is reading this thread then PLEASE! Don't do what you did with the Sun, Dawn and Sea and remove Anytime Dining from the Golden. I seem to remember that the reason given with the Sun class ships losing Anytime was to bring them more inline with Australian tastes, whatever that means!

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to trying the Golden in the near future.

cheers

Stu

Yes Stu have also got fingers crossed re Anytime Dining- it is great to have the flexibility and increased opportunity to meet new people.

No Chez, I haven't experienced the Diamond but have the Sapphire and Star from overseas ports.The Skywalkers facility is a great addition to the local market. Hopefully it will remain. Barry :)

Barry, Diamond is sister ship to Sapphire, although now with the changes to Diamond and the Sapphire having IC etc they have a little different facilities. They had Platinum/Elite Happy hour in Skywalkers on the Diamond, so hoping they keep it for the Golden. I remember being docked next to the Golden when in Alaska as I recall seeing Skywalkers perched on the rear, and the walkway to it. Looked to be shady underneath, my hubby would love it!!

We are on the Sapphire for the first time in January, looking forward to my first Alfredo's and IC experience!!

Hey, Col, I am still floating around, mainly on rollcalls.

This cruising thing has changed a bit hey? Since that day in the pub when we were so excited to see the Pacific Dawn sail into Sydney:p

Chez

xx

I noticed on the Sydney port schedule that Golden Princess actually arrives in Sydney on 18 October (the end of the trans-pacific), then back again on 28 October.

So, it looks like us Sydney siders will have the opportunity for a 10 nighter ex Sydney :D, as well as a 2 nighter down to Melbourne.

Golden Princess departs Honolulu on 24 September 2015

Edited by timtam2

I noticed on the Sydney port schedule that Golden Princess actually arrives in Sydney on 18 October (the end of the trans-pacific), then back again on 28 October.

So, it looks like us Sydney siders will have the opportunity for a 10 nighter ex Sydney :D, as well as a 2 nighter down to Melbourne.

Golden Princess departs Honolulu on 24 September 2015

Thanks for this info. So where is it departing from out of the usa. I'm trying to tee up a ride home. I'm on the Caribbean that its into new york on the 21st so couple days in ny flyto Honolulu. Just might work. Celebrity doesn't leave to 2 October.

It does seem like a long cruise if its leaving 24 September.

Edited by icat2000

Fabulous news for us Melbournians.

We keep complaining to the RCI Captains, who say they don't know why RCI won't home port from Melbourne. (Including the day before yesterday).

We'll be on it.

No longer exclusive to Royal.:eek:

Edited by Aussie FF

I'm very excited about the Golden being based in Melbourne. She's hardly a new build but did have a refit a couple of years back and now has many of the latest Princess trademarks such as Crown Grill, Vines Bar and the International Café.

And if anyone from Princess is reading this thread then PLEASE! Don't do what you did with the Sun, Dawn and Sea and remove Anytime Dining from the Golden. I seem to remember that the reason given with the Sun class ships losing Anytime was to bring them more inline with Australian tastes, whatever that means!

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to trying the Golden in the near future.

cheers

Stu

Hi Stu, I agree, Anytime is the best option when dining.:D

Fabulous news for us Melbournians.

We keep complaining to the RCI Captains, who say they don't know why RCI won't home port from Melbourne. (Including the day before yesterday).

We'll be on it.

No longer exclusive to Royal.:eek:

Voting with your feet is the best way, if enough people also follow your line of thought, they will change their mind as their bookings drop.:D

It is just sheer laziness on the part of Princess that Anytime Dining is not available on the SUN class ships when in Australian waters.

SEA PRINCESS when sailing the US had fixed Dining in one dining room, and Anytime Dining in the other . SEA PRINCESS arrives downunder and No Anytime dining because the ship is not suitable for it !!! Well it was in the US , what happened as it sailed across the Pacific .

Sun, Dawn and Sea are for all intents and purposes identical with two main dining rooms each . So Anytime Dining could be offered on those ships here in Australia, but Princess is just too lazy to do it .

It is just sheer laziness on the part of Princess that Anytime Dining is not available on the SUN class ships when in Australian waters.

SEA PRINCESS when sailing the US had fixed Dining in one dining room, and Anytime Dining in the other . SEA PRINCESS arrives downunder and No Anytime dining because the ship is not suitable for it !!! Well it was in the US , what happened as it sailed across the Pacific .

Sun, Dawn and Sea are for all intents and purposes identical with two main dining rooms each . So Anytime Dining could be offered on those ships here in Australia, but Princess is just too lazy to do it .

Princess need to start listening to the cruising market or it will go elsewhere, there are other lines that offer what people want.:D

Not sure if anyone has noticed or mentioned that the Diamond Princess is showing in Honolulu's port schedule for 30 September 2015....a reality or a typo..... is her Asian stint over ........I say time to move on two of the Sun class and leave her with us... please Mr Princess :D;):D

Hey Shiona:) Maybe it is supposed to be the Golden......if the Golden is arriving in Sydney on the 18th Oct, and leaves Honolulu on the 30th Sept, that would be about the right amount of days to cross???

I would be surprised if the Diamond leaves Asia after they have "Japanised" it:p but we can only hope!!

Hey Shiona:) Maybe it is supposed to be the Golden......if the Golden is arriving in Sydney on the 18th Oct, and leaves Honolulu on the 30th Sept, that would be about the right amount of days to cross???

I would be surprised if the Diamond leaves Asia after they have "Japanised" it:p but we can only hope!!

Hi Chez long time no chat :) Golden Princess set to leave on the 24th Sep Diamond on 30th .... be nice if Diamond was coming we need a lift home from the US lolololol

Nothing would surprise with Princess . They just spent $ M updating Sun Princess for the Japanese market, only to withdraw it back to Australia all year round. They waste millions like that, but penny pinch more and more with what the loyal passenger gets . What a way to run a business .

The Sun Princess was never going to impress the Japanese market or draw the international market to Japan. They were good ships in their day but are getting too old now to be the drawcard ships for opening up new destinations to base ships in.

The only place in the world where Princess can send their older ships is to Australia where we have the unique interest of adoring and loving mediocrity and breathing fire at those who are not impressed. As they say on persons trash is another's treasure.

In my opinion the Sun class ships are now only suited to extremely short cruises of no longer than 5 nights.

Ships like the Golden Princess would suit our country much better and hopefully draw the international crowd.

As I said earlier I am glad we are getting the Golden Princess and not one of those horrible Crown, Emerald, Ruby or Caribbean variants of the class.

In my opinion the Sun class ships are now only suited to extremely short cruises of no longer than 5 nights.

I have done one 12 and one 14 days on the Sun Princess plus spent 40 days on the Sea Princess and they where both fine :)

The Sun Princess was never going to impress the Japanese market or draw the international market to Japan. They were good ships in their day but are getting too old now to be the drawcard ships for opening up new destinations to base ships in.

The only place in the world where Princess can send their older ships is to Australia where we have the unique interest of adoring and loving mediocrity and breathing fire at those who are not impressed. As they say on persons trash is another's treasure.

We have enjoyed a few long cruises on the Sun Princess, but I have to agree with the point you make in your first paragraph. (I don't agree with some of your following comments!):)

We were on the re-location cruise of the Sun Princess from Sydney to Japan. It was clear that mega dollars were spent to fit her out for the Japanese market, but I couldn't help noticing the worn upholstery in the Princess Theatre and a few other areas of the ship showing wear.

I will post some interior photos of the Sun Princess in the next few days.

For me Dawn Princess was ideal for a 5 night cruise to Tasmania from Melbourne. The issue with the class is they are too small for long voyages. They were designed in an era when Princess was only doing short cruises into the Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska and as such were not planned for longer trips.

The Grand class have since eclipsed all the facilities the Sun class have to offer so the interest in the Sun class is now low.

If you want a relaxing short break then the Sun class are perfect.

I was pleased to spend an entire 31 nights on the Golden Princess around South America. Now to me that was the ideal ship for such a long voyage and had the facilities to match.

Diamond Princess being very similar to Golden is also a more suitable choice for Japan. The Japanese already have a connection to the Diamond and Sapphire Princess as they were both built in that country.

The (at the time) Diamond Princess caught fire in Japan under construction. The second ship being the Sapphire was renamed as Diamond Princess and entered service first. The one that caught fire meant a lengthy repair job and had to be renamed Sapphire Princess in order for the ships to enter service in the correct order.

I don't think the sun class ships are too small for longer voyages. They sell the world cruise pretty well on them. Its just that they are looking a little tired now. Well the Dawn Princess seemed that wayto me. I think its the decor. I haven't cruise on the Sun Princess. Its on my list cause I need a blue mug for my collection.

I did half a world cruise on the Dawn in 2011. Had no issues at all with size, it made getting on and off at all the ports relatively painless due to passenger size. Never felt crowded. Then did 14 days on Sea and that was nice too. Did 10 on Sun after her dry dock and loved the new look. The IC as others have said is wonderful as was new HC. Have Diamond booked later this year from Singapore and then Regal next year. Excited about Golden too! Can't wait to try Diamond to compare to Sun class as the 3 girls are all I've been on. ( well one trip on Oosterdam !)

But like most others am happy just to cruise and find it hard to fault anything. Even with engine failures, missing ports, tap running in sink the whole trip ( that was HAL) and rude passengers. I'm just lucky I can cruise where others don't get that opportunity ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

For me Dawn Princess was ideal for a 5 night cruise to Tasmania from Melbourne. The issue with the class is they are too small for long voyages. They were designed in an era when Princess was only doing short cruises into the Caribbean, Mexico and Alaska and as such were not planned for longer trips.

The Grand class have since eclipsed all the facilities the Sun class have to offer so the interest in the Sun class is now low.

If you want a relaxing short break then the Sun class are perfect.

I was pleased to spend an entire 31 nights on the Golden Princess around South America. Now to me that was the ideal ship for such a long voyage and had the facilities to match.

Diamond Princess being very similar to Golden is also a more suitable choice for Japan. The Japanese already have a connection to the Diamond and Sapphire Princess as they were both built in that country.

The (at the time) Diamond Princess caught fire in Japan under construction. The second ship being the Sapphire was renamed as Diamond Princess and entered service first. The one that caught fire meant a lengthy repair job and had to be renamed Sapphire Princess in order for the ships to enter service in the correct order.

Interesting history about the Diamond, it is my fav Princess Ship.:D

Golden Princess has the famous shopping trolley Skywalkers it does overshadow the rear pool but offers a unique perspective and really defined the Grand class when it was created. I think only Golden, Star and Caribbean still have the trolley handle since Grand had it's removed due to a structural defect.

Great info I can't wait to check her out for myself.

We were on the Sun Princess in January and have also sailed on the Dawn and Diamond. We have decided that we will only sail on ships with any time dining unless it's shorter cheap cruises. We were going to book the 35 night cruise on the sea princess out to the islands but we have decided we would rather a ship with any time dining.