Goodies/Gifts for Kids?

IMKTDQT810

I posted this on the Carnival board and was interested in the take here. I posted on the overall board first wanting more of a broad input from some who might not read this as often if they are not currently traveling with children.

I was looking for ideas of goodie bags for DS (9) and his two cousins (Girl 14 & Boy 17). I already planned on a few rafts and such from the dollar store and then thought it would be a nice touch to bring small gift bags to put things in. One person posted on the main board that all the little extras are not needed. Do you guys feel the same? Should I just give them the stuff once on the ship as a "here this if for you" thing?

Also? anything else come to mind to get them? Just cheaper dollar store kinda stuff.

I brought out little amusements each night at dinner (small box of crayons/coloring book; post-its with a pencil; stickers) -- lots of little things from the dollar store. You could also do a blow up ball and/or a one-use camera.

Best,

Mia

Sunglasses, lanyards, puzzle books, disposable underwater cameras, gum, mints, make up a scavenger hunt for on the ship, journal, flip flops, uno cards (or other types of card games...a favorite vacation activity for my teens), sun screen, sling bag or beach bag, small flash light, high lighters, water bottle

Why would children of those ages need goodie bags? Yes, for toddlers and preschoolers who need distraction at dinner...But there will be plenty to involve them already on the ship itself. And rafts? For the beach, I suppose...certainly not room in the pools. EM

i got some dollar store stuff for my son last december but he was only 20 months. got magnets for him to play with on the walls.. coloring books and stickers. the older he gets I will probably make little "kits" for him for cruises just because... also filled with dollar store stuff. and stuff that will be done and can be tossed once the cruise is over. i just think it is fun.

Why would children of those ages need goodie bags? Yes, for toddlers and preschoolers who need distraction at dinner...But there will be plenty to involve them already on the ship itself. And rafts? For the beach, I suppose...certainly not room in the pools. EM

Maybe the OP enjoys giving these type of things to kids. I know I enjoyed getting my teens little things for our cruises...things they would need like sunglasses, lanyards, and flip flops and things they would enjoy like card games for their downtime, magazines for the car or plane ride, and itunes to update their ipods. OP was asking for ideas for gifts, no need to criticise of her choice to do it. No they don't need it....but it can be fun for them to get them.

Edited by Warm Breezes

Yes, my goal is not to really occupy them during meals. It was more like a nice surprise for beach days to have things to keep them busy. Yes the raft and a blow up beach ball is for Grand Turk & HMC, we just plan on hanging at the closest beach (GT) and planting in a spot at HMC. They all have snorkel gear even though none of them have ever really "used" them in the ocean. I figured they can all lay on their tummies and use the masks to watch fish if they wanted to.

I just thought it would be nice and different.

On our trip 2 years ago to Disney I bought everyone a beach towel, New PJ's and New Pillow cases. When DH & DS went swimming in the pool I 'Forgot something" and got the new pillow cases on the pillows (plus added bonus to bring home) and put the PJ's under the pillows. Then I carried the new beach towels (Disney Themed) to the pool and when they got out they were all confused where the little hotel towel was and that they were replaced with the huge, fluffy beach towels. I like to set up little surprises like that =-)

Yes, my goal is not to really occupy them during meals. It was more like a nice surprise for beach days to have things to keep them busy. Yes the raft and a blow up beach ball is for Grand Turk & HMC, we just plan on hanging at the closest beach (GT) and planting in a spot at HMC. They all have snorkel gear even though none of them have ever really "used" them in the ocean. I figured they can all lay on their tummies and use the masks to watch fish if they wanted to.

I just thought it would be nice and different.

On our trip 2 years ago to Disney I bought everyone a beach towel, New PJ's and New Pillow cases. When DH & DS went swimming in the pool I 'Forgot something" and got the new pillow cases on the pillows (plus added bonus to bring home) and put the PJ's under the pillows. Then I carried the new beach towels (Disney Themed) to the pool and when they got out they were all confused where the little hotel towel was and that they were replaced with the huge, fluffy beach towels. I like to set up little surprises like that =-)

Fun! :D

I'll do special "snackage" that DD (or DH for that matter) likes. For my DD, a fun new color EOS lip thingee is always appreciated.

We tend to cruise the Med in the shoulder season and Baltic - where there always seems to be cooler evenings so I bring packets of instant chia and some new "fluffy" socks. But I'm hoping you won't need that!

My honest opinion? No, for those ages i wouldnt do it. But i do think its cute and thoughtful :)

We are sailing a week after Easter so i'm putting a bunch of things in my 3 and 4 year olds easter baskets for the trip (bucket and shovel, sunglasses, new DVDs for the roadtrip and new swimsuits).

What about a couple practical things like Britta filter water bottles, neoprene bottle sleeves (work great to keep water cold), or a little misting fan like the O2 cool carabiner water misting fan? I agree that it's not 'necessary' but I think it's a nice idea that kids would appreciate!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our our last cruise, dd17 and ds15 hit the teen club, and that was that. They really didn't need any other entertaining - they loved spending time with their new friends.

Not all kids get into the kids club. My kids were on 10 cruises between the ages of 4 & 7 and 16 &19. I can count on 1 hand the number of times they tried the kids clubs and didn't go back because they didn't like it.

No kids this age don't need the little extras that the OP is asking for suggestions for...but some people, like the OP and myself, enjoy giving the extra and it is as much for us as it is the kids that recieve it. FWIW, my kids always made use of what I gave them. ie the card games I've given them over the years have become a family tradition at Embassy Suites (our normal pre/post cruise hotel) during happy hour and on cruises on the Lido or Promenade deck. We have a blast enjoying that time together. It's just not something we do at home. The magazines were used on the car/airplane ride or when laying out on the Lido. The itunes that they downloaded, Flip Flops, lanyards, water bottles and Sunglasses were used throughout the trip. There are useful things you can get teens as small gifts. They may not need them, but it is fun for some of us to give them.

Edited by Warm Breezes

I felt a little silly putting together an Easter basket for my 18YO yesterday morning, but when I got back home later in the morning, she was shyly asking if "the Easter Bunny" may have "come". She was excited about a couple of peanut butter eggs, hand lotion, lip balm and a new book.

• Needed? No.
    Appreciated? Yes!
    Something I enjoyed doing? Yes!

Edited by Onessa

I felt a little silly putting together an Easter basket for my 18YO yesterday morning, but when I got back home later in the morning, she was shyly asking if "the Easter Bunny" may have "come". She was excited about a couple of peanut butter eggs, hand lotion, lip balm and a new book.

• Needed? No.
    Appreciated? Yes!
    Something I enjoyed doing? Yes!

Guilty here too:o:p. I have a 17 year old who kept hinting that she's not too old for the "Easter Bunny" yet. She liked the Peeps and "I'd Rather be in Paris" plaque that "Bunny" left in her room. There were years that their baskets were filled with cruise related items for the cruise we had planned for that summer. I even did up a couple of little baskets for my nephews who came to our house for dinner yesterday. Not Needed. Much Appreciated. Enjoyed Giving.

I was looking for ideas of goodie bags for DS (9) and his two cousins (Girl 14 & Boy 17). I already planned on a few rafts and such from the dollar store and then thought it would be a nice touch to bring small gift bags to put things in. One person posted on the main board that all the little extras are not needed. Do you guys feel the same? Should I just give them the stuff once on the ship as a "here this if for you" thing?

Also? anything else come to mind to get them? Just cheaper dollar store kinda stuff.

Oh my gosh... I have gone so overboard that I'm afraid I will need another suitcase for my goody bags! J/K. But yes, I'm doing goody bags! It started with getting a few things to keep my 3 year old occupied during dinner or on the airplane. Coloring books, markers, stickers. Well, we are traveling with my niece and nephew, so I had to get some for them. Then I hit the jackpot at the dollar store for my 10 & 12 year olds. Glow sticks, squirt guns for the beach, sand toys, flashlights, sketch pads and notebooks, sunglasses, animal print lanyards. Somehow it has exploded into a few bags in my closet. I'll have to go through it tomorrow for any other big ideas. I figure I will split things up between the plane there, the boat, and then the plane home. My big kids both have late fall birthdays, so all their big gifts are all at the same time as Christmas. So I don't feel bad about a few fun things for the trip. I've had way too much fun looking around for them. I'm even thinking about little bags for my parents and siblings. And maybe goody bags for the trip with my husbands family in august...!!

This is why we sail on Disney cruises and participate in the Fish Extender exchanges. We bring and deliver gifts for others and receive gifts in return. My kids LOVED coming back to our cabin to look for new goodies. :) They also LOVED delivering gifts and checking out all of the FE pockets people had made.