Cost of cab to Golden Gate Park?

Golden Gate Park is big. May I assume that you're headed to the DeYoung and Academy of Sciences across from it? Wherever you start and end, it will depend on the time of day (slow traffic, rush hour surcharges, etc.). I've never taken a cab in town and have used either personal car, business car or public transit. That said, I'm going to guess at about $20-$25 each way from pier 39 to museums. BTW, getting cabs at GGP in locations other than the museums, may not always be that easy.

If you do go to GGP, try to get over to where the buffalo are kept.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We did this last week and it was just about $25, plus the tip. We took one back too but had them drop us off a Giardelli's, so it was a few dollars less on the return. We walked from there back to the pier.

It was a great place to spend the day and we could have spent more time if our feet didn't wear out from all the walking. The museum was closed as it was a Monday. I don't know if that's an every week thing, there were large groups of school children going in for special tours, but no public entry. We spent most of our time in the science academy but also walked around outside, went around the lake.

We had lunch in the academy - in the restaurant that is downstairs (can't remember the name). It was very good - a nice place to take a quiet break, have a beer (or wine or a drink), and a well prepared lunch. I had the quinoa salad and my husband had a hamburger.

Edited by fabby50

We did this last week and it was just about $25, plus the tip. We took one back too but had them drop us off a Giardelli's, so it was a few dollars less on the return. We walked from there back to the pier.

It was a great place to spend the day and we could have spent more time if our feet didn't wear out from all the walking. The museum was closed as it was a Monday. I don't know if that's an every week thing, there were large groups of school children going in for special tours, but no public entry. We spent most of our time in the science academy but also walked around outside, went around the lake.

We had lunch in the academy - in the restaurant that is downstairs (can't remember the name). It was very good - a nice place to take a quiet break, have a beer (or wine or a drink), and a well prepared lunch. I had the quinoa salad and my husband had a hamburger.

Are any of the entrances to GGP near the mosaic steps in 16th Avenue?

Are any of the entrances to GGP near the mosaic steps in 16th Avenue?

From the steps, five long blocks north to GGP then 7 short blocks to 9th avenue entrance (which gets you to academy of science and DeYoung across the way. Google map "mosaic steps) and you'll see proximity to GGP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From the steps, five long blocks north to GGP then 7 short blocks to 9th avenue entrance (which gets you to academy of science and DeYoung across the way. Google map "mosaic steps) and you'll see proximity to GGP.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you seems a long walk so may give it a miss and go straight to mosaic steps.

Does anyone know what the approximate cost of a cab from, say, Pier 39 to Golden Gate Park is? I have researched public transportation, and it looks like is would be close to 1 hr. trip that way...

cab fares in San Francisco are $3.50 for the first 1/5 mile. $.55 for each additional 1/5 mile and $.55 for each minute of waiting or traffic jam time.

• 1 year later...

:o ... I admit it ... I'm a planner!! Will be embarking in April 2016 for the 16-day Miami through the Panama Canal to Los Angeles cruise and always try to get copies of the freestyle dailies to assist me in planning our days. This cruise is VERY special as due to my husband's health ... it will be his last cruise and since I'm planning everything, well, I'm trying very hard to make it as perfect for us and possible. If - ANYONE - can help me with these .......... I would sincerely appreciate your help!! "Pleez" let me know at your earliest opportunity ... and "thanx" boo-coodles!! judy

Thank you seems a long walk so may give it a miss and go straight to mosaic steps.

It's also known locally as the Moraga Street steps. The bottom is at the intersection of 16th AVENUE & Moraga Street.

There's another set of stairs, smaller, at 15th Avenue & Kirkham. Drive-by them every day taking Kid to his school on 12th Ave.

Cabs in San Francisco? I really recommend Lyft or Uber. Public transit from Pier 39 to GG Park is doable, but it will take at least an hour for a trip that would take no more than 30 minutes by car.

Cabs in San Francisco? I really recommend Lyft or Uber. Public transit from Pier 39 to GG Park is doable, but it will take at least an hour for a trip that would take no more than 30 minutes by car.

If, like us, you don't have a Smart phone, is there any real alternative to cabs?

If, like us, you don't have a Smart phone, is there any real alternative to cabs?

Public transit is not bad, depending on where you are going and the time of day. It's crowded at rush hours and service is sketchy late at night. Otherwise it gets you to most tourist parts of town. In the central districts (downtown, Union Sq., waterfront), one walks and enjoys the stroll. Otherwise the regular cabs are somewhat available, although generally more expensive than Lyft or Uber, and they disappear on rainy days and late at night.

• 1 month later...