Using EZ Check with Delta and free bag?

rjack22

We will be flying Delta out of FLL home. Normally Delta charges $25 for the first bag. However if you have a AMEX Skymiles credit card you get the first bag free. I am wondering how this will work with EZ Check? Does Princess make provisions for your free bag or would you have to pay anyway if you use EZ Check? And if they honor the free bag program... what "proof" do you need to provide? Has anyone been through this with EZ Check?

We will be flying Delta out of FLL home. Normally Delta charges $25 for the first bag. However if you have a AMEX Skymiles credit card you get the first bag free. I am wondering how this will work with EZ Check? Does Princess make provisions for your free bag or would you have to pay anyway if you use EZ Check? And if they honor the free bag program... what "proof" do you need to provide? Has anyone been through this with EZ Check?
There's now a line item on the form to note that you are exempt from baggage fees. Regardless, I bring an extra copy of my e-ticket to turn in with the form. I circle/highlight pertinent information and on the Princess form, repeat the info.

eta2eve5.jpg

ezezasy2.jpg

Thanks Pam! I thought you might know the answer (smile)! I booked my airfare yesterday and made sure my return flight was after noon so I could use EZ Check. I should be good to go unless they cancel the service for lack of participation.

We've travelled many times using our Delta Am X card and EZ Check. There was only one time that we had an issue and was charged the $25 / bag. By the time you get your cruise folio of charges, it's too late to do anything to correct it on the ship. I contacted Delta who informed me that I needed to deal with Princess. I called Princess and was advised to send an e-mail to Customer Relations and include any documentation that would show that our first bag per person was free. I did that and about 2 weeks later I received a call from Princess that we would receive a credit on our Am X card. It could take up to 12 weeks before it would appear on our statement. I'm waiting for our next statement to arrive, Hopefully, the credit will appear. If not, I'll be back on the phone with Princess. This all happened at the end of January of this year. We cruised again in March and we did not have any issue with charges by EZ check. I would recommend that you take a copy of your itinerary, receipt showing payment with your Delta Am X card and write on your EZ Check paperwork that the first bags are free. Good Luck.

suebob114,

I don't understand what you said in your response.

"I would recommend that you take a copy of your itinerary, receipt showing payment with your Delta Am X card and write on your EZ Check paperwork that the first bags are free."

Do I have to *use* the Skymiles credit card to get the free bag? Surely if I put down my Skymiles number on the EZ Check form they would be able to tell I am entitled to a free bag because I own a AMEX Skymiles card.

I don't necessarily want to use the AMEX card on this cruise. I have better rewards cards that I would prefer to use.

Edited by rjack22

Keep in mind that the people processing the forms are Purser's Desk personnel who haven't a clue what or why someone is eligible for a free bag as opposed to the norm. When in doubt, hit them with a 2'x4'... Put as much detail and reasoning as possible. The easier you make it for them to have an "Aha moment," the easier it will be for you. It's far easier to provide as much detail as clearly as possible with the form than try to get it corrected after the fact.

Keep in mind that the people processing the forms are Purser's Desk personnel who haven't a clue what or why someone is eligible for a free bag as opposed to the norm. When in doubt, hit them with a 2'x4'... Put as much detail and reasoning as possible. The easier you make it for them to have an "Aha moment," the easier it will be for you. It's far easier to provide as much detail as clearly as possible with the form than try to get it corrected after the fact.

OMG, something else to pack!

Do I have to *use* the Skymiles credit card to get the free bag? Surely if I put down my Skymiles number on the EZ Check form they would be able to tell I am entitled to a free bag because I own a AMEX Skymiles card.

(I think you had to use the Skymiles card when you paid for your Delta flight to get the free checked bag.)

The Delta computers will know if you should be charged a luggage fee or not.

The Princess personnel who process the EZCheck will not know unless you tell them about it with all the detail you can think of.

(I think you had to use the Skymiles card when you paid for your Delta flight to get the free checked bag.)

The Princess personnel who process the EZCheck will not know unless you tell them about it with all the detail you can think of.

That is correct. We have not had a problem since Princess put the exemption block on the form.

Mike:)

You do NOT have to pay for the ticket with your Delta Amex.

You just have to own one.

My husband has one in his name and I tried to circumvent that rule when I flew alone recently.

I paid for the ticket with his Delta Amex but did NOT get the free bag.

Conversely, we've flown together and paid for the ticket with another credit card and in that case HAVE gotten one free bag each.

Used EZ Check out of FLL in November and just had to check the box showing first bag was free and added the Delta Sky Miles Number for both of us and had no issues and no extra charges. When they use your Sky Miles Number to check you in with the airline that number will automatically show no charge for the bags. Enjoy your cruise and make sure you turn in your forms as soon as you receive them. If too many people sign up you could lose out due to no room on the trucks. The company contracted to do EZ Check can only handle a set number of passengers and bags.

Thanks everyone! I afraid I have my heart set on using EZ Check so I will be very disappointed if for any reason I can't use the service. I will fill out and return the form ASAP.

Can I just go to the Customer Relations desk early in the cruise and just ask for the form? Do I have to wait for it to be delivered to our cabin? I'd like to take care of it early on.

The form will be delivered to your room on the first or second full day. Just be sure to check all papers delivered to your room. You will receive 2 forms with one being international flights and the other domestic flights. Fill out the correct form and turn it in to Customer Services along with a copy of your flight itinerary so they know what airline and flight number.

Can I just go to the Customer Relations desk early in the cruise and just ask for the form? Do I have to wait for it to be delivered to our cabin? I'd like to take care of it early on.
You have to wait. :( You should be fine if you return it within 24 hours. The earlier the better but it's not a "run to the PSD" need. Some people wait or forget to drop it off until later and may find themselves unable to participate.

FYI, you won't get your luggage tags and boarding pass until late in the day before disembarkation. That's because they can't check you in for your flight until 24 hours before. Be patient.

You will receive 2 forms with one being international flights and the other domestic flights.
EZ Check is available only for final destinations in the US. No international flights. Only possible deviation would be if you were disembarking in Canada and flying to the US. Edited by Pam in CA

Pam - I was on a B2B in November on the Crown and both weeks we received forms for EZ Check and one was Domestic and the other International. Since I was flying back to PA, did not bother reading the International to see if it was only for Canada. You are probably correct about Canada being the only International destination. Keep up the good work as you definitely provide a lot of great information. Thanks

Pam - I was on a B2B in November on the Crown and both weeks we received forms for EZ Check and one was Domestic and the other International. Since I was flying back to PA, did not bother reading the International to see if it was only for Canada. You are probably correct about Canada being the only International destination. Keep up the good work as you definitely provide a lot of great information. Thanks
Interesting. What I meant about Canada is that if disembarkation is in Vancouver, for instance, and flying into the US. Not disembarking in FLL and flying to Canada.

EZ Check includes an agreement with US Customs and the port authorities. Your bag is taken directly from outside your cabin and you don't see it again until you arrive at your destination. If that destination is outside the US, I don't see how it's possible for that country's Customs to accept the bag. In Vancouver (and a few select Canadian cities), you go through US Customs in Vancouver, not in the US. This is why International EZ Check doesn't make sense to me. Could be something new but this is the first I've heard of it. Maybe it's OK for those flying to Canada from the US.

Edited by Pam in CA

Just poking at you Pam :) , but technically it's a 2"x4"... A 2'x4' would be a HUGE block of wood!! Much too big to carry around... :eek: