thoughts and prayers

irishjim

Horrific on-going situation. Hopefully, more survivors will be found. And improvements in safety for passengers and crew members on ferries will be forthcoming.

They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters; These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep. For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof. They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble. They reel to and fro, and stagger like a drunken man, and are at their wits' end. Then they cry unto the LORD in their trouble, and he bringeth them out of their distresses. He maketh the storm a calm, so that the waves thereof are still. Then are they glad because they be quiet; so he bringeth them unto their desired haven.

Psalms, 107:23-30, KJV

It's horrible. I've had Korean exchange students here for years and they are all glued to twitter. Car ferries have always scared me- nothing like a giant cargo door essentially at the waterline to speed things up. My girls are frantically checking for news of survivors being rescued and will not hear that they are obviously all lost. It's too great a number. All of them have taken class trips to Jeju when they were in Junior high school- before they came to me. I kept checking CC to see if anyone would start a thread because no matter the type of ship- when you look and see something that clearly has decks and other similarities to a cruise ship you can't help but think of Concordia and the risks that we all take when we set out to sea.

Those poor parents and poor children. Just awful.

Prayers and thoughts for all the victims and their families. Hopefully they'll somehow be able to find and save more. Certainly is a stark reminder of the risks we all take cruising but then again just driving to the grocery store has risks.

Unfortunately, many nations of the world do not see fit to have the level of safety that we have here in the US. I am wondering why there are not more accidents like this in these places. My wife and I have a home in Thailand and we spend some of our time there. When we go out on excursions in Thailand or in some of the surrounding Asian nations, I hold my breath. I am a good swimmer but my wife just barely knows how to tread water. She would be lost in the open sea very quickly. Since many things to do in that part of the world requires you to be out in the water, one needs to be on their toes every minute. Many of these ferries are totally unsafe at any speed and I myself would never take one. The horror of being trapped inside of a capsized ferry is not my idea of a vacation. If anyone has any doubts about the quality of the Holland America ships and their crew one needs only to watch this video. Probably the worst weather ever experienced by a cruise ship and the Veendam had fewer problems during this horrific weather than my ship did in the US Navy in calm waters.

Edited by Floridastorm

Very sad! In the paper this morning it reported that the passengers were told to stay put and not leave where they were until a rescue arrived. The captain and at least some of the crew got off and did not make anymore announcements.

Indeed, to abandon ship while leaving hundreds of children in their life jackets to be trapped and drown is beneath contempt! By reports, they would have been able to survive in the chilly waters long enough to be rescued. I can't begin to imagine what could go through the mind of the captain and officers to produce this sort of behavior.

The shock and anguish the parents must feel knowing all this has to be crushing. My heart goes out to them in that they might find a degree of peace eventually. Hopefully the government of this democratic nation will take steps to punish the guilty (and irresponsible) while making sure that this is the last incident of this nature to be suffered by South Korea.

According to CNN, one of the vice principals was on the ferry. He was rescued. He hanged himself at the school. :(

It was actually outside the gymnasium where the families are all waiting, not near the school where the kids were all enrolled. So this further adds to the trauma for the families...

My thoughts and prayers are extended to these families as well. As a former educator who took students on field trips, keeping the young people safe was always a concern. (And one such trip was on an Ohio River excursion from Cincinnati.)

This tragedy sounds like more "Costa Concordia"-type incompetence on the part of the officers and crew.

Indeed, to abandon ship while leaving hundreds of children in their life jackets to be trapped and drown is beneath contempt! By reports, they would have been able to survive in the chilly waters long enough to be rescued. I can't begin to imagine what could go through the mind of the captain and officers to produce this sort of behavior.

The shock and anguish the parents must feel knowing all this has to be crushing. My heart goes out to them in that they might find a degree of peace eventually. Hopefully the government of this democratic nation will take steps to punish the guilty (and irresponsible) while making sure that this is the last incident of this nature to be suffered by South Korea.

The Captain and the 2 crew members who were sailing the ferry at the time of the accident have all been arrested this afternoon on a variety of charges, including never contacting ships that were nearby that could have aided quickly in rescue.

The parents will never find a moment's peace, ever. There were some interviewed that I saw today and one mother had convinced her child to go on the field trip though the child had not wanted to. She's one for sure that will never recover.

Edited by peaches from georgia