New to RCCL: How do movies on board work

I love watching movies. But I have 3 younger kids and unfortunately any new movie I have seen has either been animated or seen broken up in 20 minute intervals between running to clean up spills, broken whatever, or random screaming.

My wife and I are sailing for our anniversary on the Navigator of the Seas. We have previously sailed Disney and I so wanted to spend time in the movie theater on RCCL watching movies but we couldn't swing it. Now that we are without the kids what are the options?

Is there a movie theater? If so what quality is it? Does it play 3D etc... How does it compare to theaters at home? The DCL theater on the Wonder was really nice. Are snacks allowed?

Is there movies that play in the main theater? If so what type of movies do they play in there? Are they kid oriented or more adult focused?

What about on the TV? Do they rotate movies around the clock so we could enjoy one in our room or I might stay up a bit later and watch? Are those free? Or are some free and some not? Or all are pay? If some are free and some pay what are the quality of the free ones (how old)? For example on DCL they constantly played newer movies on the TV's for free in the stateroom. Think stuff recently out on DVD/Bluray not first run. The first run were in the theater.

What types of movies do they play on the big screen on deck and how often? What times do they typically show them? (all day, just at night, etc...)

Thanks!

There will be some movies in the movie theater (not main theater where shows are). Limited don't expect too much. The movie theater is SMALL on the ships ( I can't vouch for Oasis or Allure though). Certainly not 3D or anything spectacular. Same for TV in the room, don't expect much regarding movie selection. Overall, if watching movies is a high priority you will likely be disappointed. We've been on nine RCCL cruises but none with an outdoor screen at the pool yet, cannot provide any info on that.

All that said, we love movies but on a cruise it's pretty much the last thing we'd think of doing so the limited opportunites haven't bothered us :)

Edited by bouhunter

Navigator does have a movie theater, or did when I last sailed it. It is very small, and I strongly doubt there's anything 3D. There is also an outdoor movie screen on the pool deck, which shows movies only at night. I don't think you get first run movies in either venue, but someone can correct me if I am wrong. The main theater does not have a movie screen.

There are movies on the TV in the staterooms, all free, but I wouldn't say the selection is great. I suspect Disney (which is, after all, also in the movie business!) does a far better job in this regard.

There will be some movies in the movie theater (not main theater where shows are). Limited don't expect too much. The movie theater is SMALL on the ships ( I can't vouch for Oasis or Allure though). Certainly not 3D or anything spectacular. Same for TV in the room, don't expect much regarding movie selection. Overall, if watching movies is a high priority you will likely be disappointed. We've been on nine RCCL cruises but none with an outdoor screen at the pool yet, cannot provide any info on that.

All that said, we love movies but on a cruise it's pretty much the last thing we'd think of doing so the limited opportunites haven't bothered us :)

It is not that high of a priority. Not like it will ruin our cruise but I was hoping to get some movie viewing in.

Navigator does have a movie theater, or did when I last sailed it. It is very small, and I strongly doubt there's anything 3D. There is also an outdoor movie screen on the pool deck, which shows movies only at night. I don't think you get first run movies in either venue, but someone can correct me if I am wrong. The main theater does not have a movie screen.

There are movies on the TV in the staterooms, all free, but I wouldn't say the selection is great. I suspect Disney (which is, after all, also in the movie business!) does a far better job in this regard.

The theater on the Disney ship is very good. I wasn't hoping for that level but it would be nice to have some theater to go to that is better than the TV in the stateroom. Would you say the sound is decent? Or is it like a big media room?

I have been on the Freedom, Independence and Allure with outside screens. The Allure had two in the water theater and the Compass would list when movies would be shown. On the Freedom and Independence, the screen was on the pool deck up high.

There were movies scheduled each day. This is outside, so where you are sitting has a effect on how good the display is. They also showed local RCI information on excursions, etc, also. Sometimes there would be an elaborate screen saver. The evening movie tended to start while we were at dinner, but not everyone was at dinner.

The movies tended to be suitable for all ages. I did not see too many movies while on board any of these ships since there was so much else that I cannot do at home to do on the ship. But movies are offered and the schedule is in the Compass.

I haven't sailed on a Disney cruise, but I have sailed on Princess 3 times and can tell you that the RCCL movie viewing experience is pretty weak in comparison. Not only do the venues not measure up (though the theaters on Radiance class ships aren't bad) and there are no snacks or drinks served to you, but the viewing times are kind of inconvenient.

I was on the Grandeur last month [not Navigator].

But, we noticed there was a "movie under the stars" almost each night. These outdoor showings on the pool deck were too cold for me.

Also, there was an afternoon movie on each of the sea days. The movies were the ones getting ready to come out on DVD.[ i.e. we had Gravity and Frozen as 2 of the movies] Each movie had a couple of showings/times.

It is not that high of a priority. Not like it will ruin our cruise but I was hoping to get some movie viewing in.

The theater on the Disney ship is very good. I wasn't hoping for that level but it would be nice to have some theater to go to that is better than the TV in the stateroom. Would you say the sound is decent? Or is it like a big media room?

The theaters we've seen have kind of been like a big media room I guess (or a "mini-theater"), though the seats are stepped down like a real theater. I agree with another poster, the cruise we were just on the times seemed inconvenient. Add to that the limited movie choices and it isn't likely most people would be attending many. In all our cruises, I've attended one movie at the ships theater. But we've always found them in our ship explorations:)

Edited by bouhunter

As others have said, the indoor movie theater on Navigator is pretty small, and more like a media room you might have in your home with a large projection screen. No 3D, and the spund quality is acceptable. The choice of movies is limited. They usually have about 4 movies that they rotate through during the cruise. They are not first-run movies, but are usually recent ones that just came out on DVD/BluRay. On our last cruise on the Serenade (which has a much bigger and "Normal" movie theater - but still nowhere near the quality as is on the Disney ships) one of the movies was a classic from the 40's (It figures that I can't remember which one!!). I've attempted to attach a pictue of the movie theater (called the Screening Room) from the Voyager class ships (hopefully it will work).

ImageUploadedByForums1397669923.425042.jpg.6acf40fb305c86453265e7b153c3f764.jpg

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

On our last cruise (Brilliance) they also showed movies on the pool screen during the day as well as at night. Despite the background noise of being near the pool (the volume of the movie was fine), it was fun to sit outside in the tropical air with a drink (or two) and take in a movie.

Never watched an indoor movie. I thought they provided popcorn, and you can always get drinks nearby (at least on Brilliance, the theatre was right beside a pub). For bringing in your own food, not sure, but like many things RC, ask and see, but don't get upset if the answer is no.

Thanks everyone! That really helps. We might catch a movie if there is something interesting to watch. The only reason I asked is on my last two cruises with three kids I really wanted some time to go see a flick since I really can't when I am at home due to job and kids. That never happened. But now that we are going by ourselves for a week I was hoping I could catch up on some current movies. No biggie if I can't but it made me wonder what RCCL offered.

I am surprised though how small it is for such a big ship. I guess they had to make room for all that other stuff and the promenade. I attached the theater on the Disney Wonder which is really nice.

Theater.jpg.ee60672a031b0af8bba507f363e6f85a.jpg

On Allure, they will also show movies in 3D in the main theater (where the stage shows are). Expect at least one Dreamworks movie to be shown. When I was onboard in November of last year, they were also showing Star Trek Into Darkness, but I did not see it. Popcorn $2. The movies played during the day.

Edited by Rufferto

We were on Liberty last week and saw Gravity in 3D. It was in the afternoon of the first sea day. (and that was the only showing if that movie that week; we were originally going to the ice show that day, but switched because we all wanted to see that movie.)

They gave us the 3D glasses as we entered the theater. It was in the main theater (where the shows are), not a movie theater.

On Freedom a couple of years ago, they showed 3d movies in the main theater. I went with the kids so we saw Puss in Boots and Kung Fu Panda 2. I don't know if they also showed non-kid movies.

The one movie we watched under the stars was Grease ("pop up video" version). That was a lot of fun - especially the on screen blurbs.

Disney's movie theater is really great. My best experience: Watching the first Pirates of the Caribbean . . . on a ship!

Royal's "theater" really is more of a nice media room. The chairs are comfortable, the sound and screen are good. It holds maybe 30-40 people, and I've never seen it half full. If you want snacks, you must bring them yourself --no popcorn. I've never seen a staff person on duty, but the movies do "roll along" according to the daily newspaper.

However, the movie theater is one of the few things that I "missed" from Disney, and for the price I'll take Royal every time.

Note: They'll have something like 6-8 movies the week of your cruise, and they'll repeat. So if you're dying to see _____, but you don't want to see it at midnight . . . tomorrow it might be the 10:00 am movie. They usually have a couple family movies and some things that're more adult, and they'll all rotate. They're not first-run movies, but they're kind of like the new stuff that's available to rent. AND the same movies are shown on your in-room TV, if you'd like to lie down and watch in your pajamas.

Another note: You mentioned kids. If you cruise with them in the future, it might be worth noting that no one polices who comes and goes into the movie theater . . . so if something's playing that you DON'T want your kids to see, it's up to you to be sure they don't wander in. Perhaps I'm the only person who's still trying to maintain a sense of innocence in my teens, but I don't let mine watch just anything.

Edited by MrsPete

On Freedom a couple of years ago, they showed 3d movies in the main theater. I went with the kids so we saw Puss in Boots and Kung Fu Panda 2. I don't know if they also showed non-kid movies.

The one movie we watched under the stars was Grease ("pop up video" version). That was a lot of fun - especially the on screen blurbs.

We were on the Freedom a week ago. We watched 'Gravity' in the theatre in 3D. Pretty good turnout for it also.

Another note: You mentioned kids. If you cruise with them in the future, it might be worth noting that no one polices who comes and goes into the movie theater . . . so if something's playing that you DON'T want your kids to see, it's up to you to be sure they don't wander in. Perhaps I'm the only person who's still trying to maintain a sense of innocence in my teens, but I don't let mine watch just anything.

I am the same way with my 13 year old. He doesn't get to play violent video games, watch "Family Guy", etc

I want him to be innocent and just be a kid

Thanks everyone for the responses!!

The picture matches what I recall on Mariner. We were on Navigator last month and I don't recall seeing anything about a theater. I'm wondering if it was removed during the drydock.

They did have movies on the pool deck.

That would be a bummer if they did remove it. I wonder if it is noticeable on the deck plans? I don't know the name so maybe someone could check?

I am the same way with my 13 year old. He doesn't get to play violent video games, watch "Family Guy", etc

I agree! My kids are pretty sheltered so I hope to keep them that way for awhile. Honestly that is why my first 2 cruises were on DCL because I knew that I wouldn't have to be covering eyes at shows etc... Not that stuff bad couldn't happen but it just brought me peace knowing that I didn't have to worry about the shows being to risque. To be honest I don't like watching movies myself that have nudity so my kids can't claim I don't have different standards. I can't tell you when the last time I watched a rated 'R' movie. Probably over 15 years ago.

Our kids are 10, 5, and 2. Part of the reason I am excited about this cruise by ourselves is I can 'scope' out the ship to see how appropriate I think it is for my kids. If I am not concerned then I will probably rebook for another cruise with the kids on RCCL again.

Exactly! Now that mine are 17 and 20, I see the results and it was worth every bit of effort. We seemed to bypass about 95% of the nasty teenaged angst that causes so much bitterness is so many families.

I don't mean to pound the obvious into this discussion, but the whole point is you are taking a cruise vacation. I can understand a watching of a movie on the pool deck in the evening or wherever, but to have this play into the discussion of what to do on a cruise vacation is kind of crazy to me. I have watched bits of movies while on a cruise. Once on a 16 day cruise, I watched Waterworld with Kevin Costner, about 25 times 10 minutes at a time and I never quite figured the whole movie out. This was in my cabin getting ready for dinner or breakfast or an excursion.

RCI provides a nice distractionary way of watching movies, but it is not a movie destination.

JMHO and YMMV

jc

I think everyone has different things that appeal to them. Personally I don't understand gambling but there are plenty of folks that enjoy that and that is fine. I like movies and because we have three young kids we don't get to watch any that are not animated or don't have talking animals. This will be our first long term vacation together without the kids since 2010 and I was just curious about the ship and what it offers. Not just movies but I haven't seen any posts about this so I asked. It would be fun to see a couple movies without having to pause every 15 minutes to change a diaper or deal with spilt milk (not that we are crying over it). We will enjoy the cruise I am sure regardless just was wondering.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Disney cruise theaters are great, the popcorn stand selling overprice candy and drinks like in real land based theaters is a bit over the top as is being an adult in a theater with a gazillion kids was not that fun either. I recently saw both Frozen and Thor in 3D on the Dream - awesome.

Having said that, RCL theaters is dependent on what ship you are sailing. I like the ships with the theaters as they are comfy and very good quality (not as good as Disney). I believe some of their movies are in 3D now. We've also seen movies held in the main theater which the quality of picture and sound are pretty awful. Most of the movies in the theaters are recent and decent. The TV movies will be dated and yes they will rotate at all hours and in all languages. If you chose to go to the theater on RCI ships, go to WJ for snacks before your show.

As others have said, the indoor movie theater on Navigator is pretty small, and more like a media room you might have in your home with a large projection screen. No 3D, and the spund quality is acceptable. The choice of movies is limited. They usually have about 4 movies that they rotate through during the cruise. They are not first-run movies, but are usually recent ones that just came out on DVD/BluRay. On our last cruise on the Serenade (which has a much bigger and "Normal" movie theater - but still nowhere near the quality as is on the Disney ships) one of the movies was a classic from the 40's (It figures that I can't remember which one!!). I've attempted to attach a pictue of the movie theater (called the Screening Room) from the Voyager class ships (hopefully it will work).

[ATTACH]309639[/ATTACH]

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

The seating in the theater on the Navigator was so umcomfortable that we never went back. We do like to watch movies on a cruise, so that was a disappointment. My neck and back were killing me.

Hi,

Not read through all of the responses in full, so I am sorry if this has already been said...

When we went on Liberty last April there are a couple of films on the TV for free (we watched Despicable Me and an older grown up film) and there was also a pay per view option which you can pause, but it wiped the films clear at midnight (I think it was midnight the day it was booked, my partner thinks it was midnight the day after it was booked?!?!)

There was films on the outdoor screen, there was the Disney's Brave on.....not sure how recent it had come out, but it was last April if that helps? However when we got there the film was played in Spanish so we decided not to stay :(

x