Celebrity Cruise going cheap

1MVG1

Celebrity is really cutting back on the live music on it's ships. Poolside now is a LOUD DJ from Miami playing hip hop and rap along with oldies. Maybe OK for some if you could drown it out with your noise cancelling headphones, but you can't! The party group is smaller and I heard they even cancelled the strings on the Connie. In addition, the food in the buffet is starting to taste like the crap they serve on Norwgian and the shows and guest entertainers are more Branson than Las Vegas. Free booze is nice but unless they want to end up with a reputation like Carnival, they better get their act together FAST. Two boos to Michael Baily.

Thank goodness the string quartet is gone....it was pretty boring for me. I guess it is just personal taste as far as what one likes and dislikes.

The greatest thing about cruising is that there are so many cruise lines and ships to choose from. If you don't like one, there will certainly be one that fits the bill for you.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Hummmmmm, oh well, our last sailing was so very very bad we just booked our first 11 night sailing in 25 years, on the Equinox this coming Nov.

Keep up the horrible job Mr Baily and we will try and get more vacation time and waste additional hard earned dollars doing business with your company.

( These, 'I heard it thru the grapevine' threads will soon qualify for Comedy Central )

Edited by wallie5446

OH JOY!!

I was wondering how long we all would have to wait before the next new thread was started so we could all enjoy hashing out (or rehashing) the negatives of our favorite cruise line.

:rolleyes:

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

Edited by vulcan1971

Another thread that the World is coming to an end. Geeze

Ain't that the truth! It is to the point I don't even come to the board as much as in the past. We were on Reflection in February and had a great time. Yes, there were changes in entertainment...some good and some not so much so...but I think some need to go on another cruise line and see just how good Celebrity's product continues to be. Our food was excellent...service for the most part very good...and free drinks. What is not to like!

OH JOY!!

I was wondering how long we all would have to wait before the next new thread was started so we could all enjoy hashing out (or rehashing) the negatives of our favorite cruise line.

:rolleyes:

Sent from my Samsung Note 2 on the T-Mobile 4G LTE Network

I am tired of it as well. I think we should let them vent but not reply or comment. Not worth the energy. Read it and then go to something else more constructive and helpful I think people are going on their cruise already looking for disappointments after reading all these repetitive same old threads. And some of the other people just like to stir the pot.

Thank goodness the string quartet is gone....it was pretty boring for me. I guess it is just personal taste as far as what one likes and dislikes.

The greatest thing about cruising is that there are so many cruise lines and ships to choose from. If you don't like one, there will certainly be one that fits the bill for you.

Ain't that the truth! It is to the point I don't even come to the board as much as in the past. We were on Reflection in February and had a great time. Yes, there were changes in entertainment...some good and some not so much so...but I think some need to go on another cruise line and see just how good Celebrity's product continues to be. Our food was excellent...service for the most part very good...and free drinks. What is not to like!

I noticed that the Connie was mentioned, so I am assuming that the OP is speaking of a recent cruise on that ship. Short 4 and 5 night cruises. I was on the 5 night a couple of weeks ago, on a girls cruise. Although I had a great time, the Celebrity product was more than slightly different than my past cruises with Celebrity. The most recent beside the last were:

Celebrity Constellation ~ 2/14/13

Celebrity Silhouette ~ 5/22/13

Celebrity Century ~ 9/8/2013

Before those, we were on the Equinox and the Eclipse in 2012.

I hope and believe that my recent experience was because of the cruise being a 5 night. Throw the free Beverage Package in, and last minute reduced rates, and the cruisers were more of a party crowd (me included! :D) I think that Celebrity knew this about these short cruise, and therefore catered to the crowd with loud music, eliminating the classic music, etc.;) Not that a Steel Band is classical, but I sure missed the SD band on my cruise. :(

From past experiences, not all the passengers on the short cruise were the usual passengers that I have seen on Celebrity cruises.

BTW - I for one love the string quartets and other trios onboard. They represent the old cruise style, a style that my DH and I prefer, and what lead us to Celebrity to begin with. We have cruised on many other lines, but kept coming back to Celebrity. After my last cruise, I could not distinguish Celebrity from Carnival. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to my upcoming 12 night Baltics cruise and hope to see a change from my last cruise.;)

Edited by Iamthesea

Hummmmmm, oh well, our last sailing was so very very bad we just booked our first 11 night sailing in 25 years, on the Equinox this coming Nov.

Keep up the horrible job Mr Baily and we will try and get more vacation time and waste additional hard earned dollars doing business with your company.

( These, 'I heard it thru the grapevine' threads will soon qualify for Comedy Central )

Right on:D:D

As I've said many times, one of the few pitfalls of being able to cruise multiple times is that you tend to compare your latest cruise to those before it. This can result in being disappointed with aspects of a cruise which you'd think was fine if it was your first cruise.

I'm sure the OP was genuinely disappointed. He had certain expectations based on prior cruises that were not met in his current cruise. Some people will be happy with whatever they get and some people will be disappointed if an experience does not meet their expectations. And it is reasonable to set expectations for a current cruise based on a prior similar cruise on the same line.

Once upon a time Celebrity had an unofficial slogan, or catch phrase, that they wanted to "exceed your expectations". They still use the term "exceed your expectations" a lot on their web site and in their promotional materials.

I don't think anyone deserves to be dissed just because they give a review or point of view that isn't popular to others here.

Edited by Lsimon

Celebrity is really cutting back on the live music on it's ships. Poolside now is a LOUD DJ from Miami playing hip hop and rap along with oldies. Maybe OK for some if you could drown it out with your noise cancelling headphones, but you can't! The party group is smaller and I heard they even cancelled the strings on the Connie. In addition, the food in the buffet is starting to taste like the crap they serve on Norwgian and the shows and guest entertainers are more Branson than Las Vegas. Free booze is nice but unless they want to end up with a reputation like Carnival, they better get their act together FAST. Two boos to Michael Baily.

I am on the Connie in 3 days and don't care for strings

I don't like hanging by the pool

I don't eat in the MDR or buffet

I don't go to shows

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE FREE BOOZE

So I should be OK right ?

I don't go to shows

I just got back.......you're gonna be fine!:D

I don't go to shows

Oh, this worked for us quite well in February.

Just as a test, we'll be trying it again next February.

I anticipate no problems.

Oh, this worked for us quite well in February.

Just as a test, we'll be trying it again next February.

I anticipate no problems.

LOL !! We spend all summer in Backus MN, meet us up at the Legion next June !

I noticed that the Connie was mentioned, so I am assuming that the OP is speaking of a recent cruise on that ship. Short 4 and 5 night cruises. I was on the 5 night a couple of weeks ago, on a girls cruise. Although I had a great time, the Celebrity product was more than slightly different than my past cruises with Celebrity. The most recent beside the last were:

Celebrity Constellation ~ 2/14/13

Celebrity Silhouette ~ 5/22/13

Celebrity Century ~ 9/8/2013

Before those, we were on the Equinox and the Eclipse in 2012.

I hope and believe that my recent experience was because of the cruise being a 5 night. Throw the free Beverage Package in, and last minute reduced rates, and the cruisers were more of a party crowd (me included! :D) I think that Celebrity knew this about these short cruise, and therefore catered to the crowd with loud music, eliminating the classic music, etc.;) Not that a Steel Band is classical, but I sure missed the SD band on my cruise. :(

From past experiences, not all the passengers on the short cruise were the usual passengers that I have seen on Celebrity cruises.

BTW - I for one love the string quartets and other trios onboard. They represent the old cruise style, a style that my DH and I prefer, and what lead us to Celebrity to begin with. We have cruised on many other lines, but kept coming back to Celebrity. After my last cruise, I could not distinguish Celebrity from Carnival. :rolleyes:

Looking forward to my upcoming 12 night Baltics cruise and hope to see a change from my last cruise.;)

I too was on the 5 night on the Connie. I missed the a Capella group. The acoustic guitar/singer was great. The music at times was just too LOUD. I really love the Celebrity brand. It is a good fit for me. Hopefully they don't change it too much or back to Princess I go.

I am tired of it as well. I think we should let them vent but not reply or comment. Not worth the energy. Read it and then go to something else more constructive and helpful .

Yet you use your "energy" by replying and commenting to this thread?!

On infinity the strings played in the now closed Micheals club. they will probably cut the strings now as each ship has lost one live music venue there are now only 2 other venues suitable for live music. The constellation lounge is the night club so I did not count that . There were 4 different music groups onboard along with the house band and Celebrity Orchestra . The house band (on infinity called the band mates) mostly played on the pool deck or constellation lounge. The orchestra plays in the rondevous lounge on one of the non formal nights

Every cruise is different. This winter we did 3 five day cruises on the Constellation. The first one in December we had to spend 47 hours in Key West do to an engine failure. The whining on CC was over the top but we just enjoyed our extra nights and day in KW. The next cruise we took was in January with the "Cruise Fools" and well the name says it all. Finally in March we returned right after 'Celebrity Cruises' reported here X listened about music being too loud and would adjust the level of volume. On this cruise even the Martini Bar was deader than a door nail, boring!

We also did a b2b on Century in February, not perfect but met a bunch of wonderful CC people and visited some new ports and it was one of our favorite cruises. I must say our March 15th cruise on the Reflection was perfect.

My point is whether it is a short cruise or a long cruise you'll not know what you get until you board. My advice, make the best of every vacation you can, land or sea, live life to the fullest and don't sweat the little stuff.

Edited by Oville

The next cruise we took was in January with the "Cruise Fools" and well the name says it all.

I was also on this one, one of my favorites to date, My eclipse TA being number one, this #2.

There we are about 500 in the group, or about a quarter of the ship.

Booked again next January with them. :-)

Edited by cle-guy