You need to know this no matter where you go in France

Jolimont

You know how French people have this reputation of being rude? :( Is there any truth to that? How can you get around it? There's a travel podcast that answers these questions: http://joinusinfrance.com/9/

And have you heard stories about tourists who show up in France and they can't use their credit card? :eek: What about those store hours? Do they EVER open? Yes they do, you just need to learn when: http://joinusinfrance.com/10/

Happy cruising!

I haven't found the French to be rude at all. Quite the opposite. I try speak their language and think that a quiet manner and nice smile works wonders. I always greet people in France in French (I always do this is any country I visit - say hello in their language)

That you for that post and the links. Many of the issues described in those blogs are things we have had to learn on our own..and wish we had seen this thirty years ago. We especially had to smile at the info regarding Chip/PIN credit cards. For the past two years we have posted, again and again, warnings to our fellow Americans that it is getting difficult to travel in Europe without a Chip/PIN EMV credit card. But some folks keep posting that "you will be fine" "our magnetic strip cards work fine" "we can always use travelers checks" etc. There are just some Americans who have problems accepting that the world has changed and, in some cases, the US is lagging far behind. It was like that with cell phones, HDTV....and now with credit cards. And we still smile at some of our fellow Americans who think they can go to France and just use their US dollars. They are always surprised when a restaurant or merchant refuses dollars.

As to rudeness, in our travels all around France we have only encountered rudeness in Paris. Most Parisians are fine (but they are always "Parisians") but there are some who go out of their way to be rude to visitors...especially if you are Americans. (some of these folks will even be rude to other French who come from outside Paris). When we encounter these folks we use several different strategies. Sometimes we can win them over with a smile, a "bonjour," etc. Other times it is hopeless and you either live with it or move on. On one occasion we actually were treated so rudely at an outdoor café on the Ile de la Cite, that we finally got up from our seats, walked 5 feet to a table at the next café, and sat down (all while our rude waitress watched with a glare). Upon sitting the new waiter ran over to our table, quickly took our order, and then in excellent English told us he saw what happened at the other café and he wanted to apologize on behalf of everyone else in Paris (it was a wonderful moment). And when we finally finished our very nice lunch, we happened to walk by that rude waitress and made sure to look at her and just break out into laughter. 2 points for the home team :)

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Hlitner

I just don't understand how a country like the US operates with CC that are not chip and pin. Last year in Normandy I had forgotten to reactivate my new card which doesn't carry charges for using it abroad. I asked the lady at the cash desk if I could sign instead and she said no, I couldn't. Luckily, we had other cards with us.

Although I love France, the one thing that does frustrate me is if you don't have lunch by 1pm and dinner by 8pm you can go hungry. In the south of France it can sometimes be a bit later, but as a general rule they eat very early.

I haven't found the French to be rude at all. Quite the opposite. I try speak their language and think that a quiet manner and nice smile works wonders. I always greet people in France in French (I always do this is any country I visit - say hello in their language)

Definitely great advice; we never assume anyone in a non-English speaking country speaks English, and we ask them in their own language whether they do. I think the French appreciate that sign of respect, even when they do speak English. We put off for many years our first trip to Paris, afraid of how we would be treated, particularly because we don't speak French. But we followed those "rules" and were treated very well.

As for "quiet manner," this made me think of the American tourist stereotype I actually encountered on what was an otherwise wonderful visit to the towers of Notre Dame. There I was, first time ever, looking in wonder over Paris spread out below, when a LOUD American voice behind me said, "I WONDER WHAT RIVER THAT IS?" :eek:

Hlitner

I just don't understand how a country like the US operates with CC that are not chip and pin. Last year in Normandy I had forgotten to reactivate my new card which doesn't carry charges for using it abroad. I asked the lady at the cash desk if I could sign instead and she said no, I couldn't. Luckily, we had other cards with us.

Although I love France, the one thing that does frustrate me is if you don't have lunch by 1pm and dinner by 8pm you can go hungry. In the south of France it can sometimes be a bit later, but as a general rule they eat very early.

When it comes to our credit cards we absolutely agree. The credit card companies and banks have resisted changing to the EMV Chip/Pin system because it will be expensive. However, the recent credit card fraud problems have now caused them to reconsider, and our government to consider legislation forcing the issue. So I think we will start catching up to the world in the next 2 years :)

Hank

I think quietness is an understated value. It seems to work for me. I don't need everyone to know what I'm thinking, seeing or doing. It takes me away from being the centre of attention which when travelling is a good thing. People to whom I'm talking actually listen more and pay attention.

The River Seine thing is a classic example of possibly people thinking I'm an idiot rather than me actually confirming it.

I'm off to Dubai in a couple of weeks and being a female must really remember my own advice. I must be invisible and let my husband take the lead.

The chip thing is a surprise. Our CC's in Australia have had them for years now. And in a couple of weeks you won't be allowed to sign - all transactions to be done with the pin. I've been doing it that way for years anyway.

Edited by Pushka

Last year was our first visit to Paris and we were treated very well. I took the advice of some guide books and simply said "Bonjour monsieur/madame" when we first encountered the person, as is the custom. I also read that the service workers were trained in how to deal with tourists by the Government:D Whatever, everyone was very polite and helpful.

To deal with the meals in Paris, go to a cafe, not a restaurant. Cafes are open all day long. I used them to utilize a nice clean restroom also. Sit down; order a vin blanc; use toilette; relax and enjoy

You know how French people have this reputation of being rude? :( Is there any truth to that? How can you get around it? There's a travel podcast that answers these questions: http://joinusinfrance.com/9/

And have you heard stories about tourists who show up in France and they can't use their credit card? :eek: What about those store hours? Do they EVER open? Yes they do, you just need to learn when: http://joinusinfrance.com/10/

Happy cruising!

This podcast is EXCELLENT! Full of wonderful Paris information. Am loving listening to it!