On Independence of the Seas - Norovirus & No Limes!

400 ill out of 5600 is more like 7%.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My bad, early morning brain fart before coffee. Still, no update report, so I don't think they got to 3%, or 168 (please check my math, had coffee now)

Edited by chengkp75

Why? It's not a cruise ship thing... this is in every school, hospital, churches or any place where people gather.

You cannot do anything about it if someone who is contaminated touches your food (unlikely) however you can choose to keep your hands and fingers out of your eyes, ears, nose, mouth. Also, wash them constantly... not with that crappy sanitizer either.. use simple soap and water. By doing so, you likely will not experience this GI illness.

Have a great cruise.

I could see how someone would be anxious about contacting noro on a cruise. You get it at school a hospital or church you just go home and lay in bed for a few days. On a cruise your vacation you have had planned for months and spent thousands of dollars on is ruined for a couple of days or longer. Big difference in my opinion and I can see someone being concerned.

No limes on Enchantment last week.

I could see how someone would be anxious about contacting noro on a cruise. You get it at school a hospital or church you just go home and lay in bed for a few days. On a cruise your vacation you have had planned for months and spent thousands of dollars on is ruined for a couple of days or longer. Big difference in my opinion and I can see someone being concerned.

No limes on Enchantment last week.

I can understand being concerned that you might lose a few days of vacation, but is there anything that can be done about it? Other than personal hygiene, why get worked up over something there is no control over.

Now, there is some control over the lime situation, you just need to talk to the drug cartels, and explain about the impact on cruising.:D

I can understand being concerned that you might lose a few days of vacation, but is there anything that can be done about it? Other than personal hygiene, why get worked up over something there is no control over.

Now, there is some control over the lime situation, you just need to talk to the drug cartels, and explain about the impact on cruising.:D

If people never got worked up over something there is no control over the psychology business would be gone. Plus that would make you a machine not a human.

If people never got worked up over something there is no control over the psychology business would be gone. Plus that would make you a machine not a human.

I don't know if the psychology business going away would be altogether bad. And I never considered a Jamaican to be machine-like. No worries, be happy. :D

I am presently in a traffic jam in San Juan (on my way to Bacardi) and just thought that I would drop a line to all....

First and foremost: No Limes anywhere. There is some type of lime shortage out of Mexico, so those of you who love limes in drinkies - No joy!

Secondly, Norovirus is running rampant on the boat. Our group of 8 has been lucky thus far; however, rooms around us all have Biohazard Bags.....

Questions?

Comments? I'll check back!

Lady_G

N

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We had over 400 Noro cases on the Indy last week. :(

Joe<---Has never washed his hands SO many times in 8 days...

I don't know if the psychology business going away would be altogether bad. And I never considered a Jamaican to be machine-like. No worries, be happy. :D

Hey, my wife is a psychologist. If the profession went away, our cruising would be curtailed!;)

We had over 400 Noro cases on the Indy last week. :(

Joe<---Has never washed his hands SO many times in 8 days...

It could not have been that high or it would have had to have been reported to the CDC. 3% of 4600 passengers ( give or take) is 138 and above and it would have to be reported.

HI We leave May 4 2014 on a transatlantic on Indy. I am really scared as noro is still going on. May I ask thoae onbarod that did not get it what procedure are you using? A lot of Washy, no public restrooms, only main dining, no WJ or ???

All comments are appreciated. Never been on a ship with noro before... :eek::eek:

HI We leave May 4 2014 on a transatlantic on Indy. I am really scared as noro is still going on. May I ask thoae onbarod that did not get it what procedure are you using? A lot of Washy, no public restrooms, only main dining, no WJ or ???

All comments are appreciated. Never been on a ship with noro before... :eek::eek:

Wash hands with soap and warm water, anti-bacterial soap is better than regular soap. Public restrooms are fine, as long as you wash your hands when done, use a paper towel to turn off the faucets, if needed (don't want your clean hands touching the faucets), and use a paper towel or your elbow to open the door.

The buffet is okay if you follow a few suggestions. Use a paper towel or napkin to handle the serving utensils (or alternatively, stop eating anything with your hands, like burgers, rolls, etc). Wrap a paper napkin around the lip of the clean glass so the glass does not touch the dispensing bar of the drink dispenser.

Knuckles for elevator knobs. Try to avoid handrails if at all possible.

If you use hand sanitizer, know that unless you wipe the wet sanitizer off your hands with a paper towel or napkin, you are doing nothing. Rubbing hands together will loosen the virus, and the sanitizer acts as a lubricant to assist this, but you must get the virus off your hands, so wiping with something that is clean to start with, and will then be disposed of is paramount.

. . . anti-bacterial soap is better than regular soap. . .

Not Necessarily. From the FDA website:

. . . there currently is no evidence that over-the-counter (OTC) antibacterial soap products are any more effective at preventing illness than washing with plain soap and water, says Colleen Rogers, Ph.D., a lead microbiologist at FDA.

Also: (1) there is concern that anti-bacterial agents can lead to resistant bacteria; (2)noro is a virus so antibacterial agents will not help in that area; and (3) I read somewhere that, to be effective, the antibacterial agents need to be in place for 2 minutes. It is hard enough to get the "ABCs" out of someone washing their hands. Two minutes seems unlikely. It's hard to beat regular old soap and water..

Edited by mjldvlks