Live from the Island Princess--Panama Canal Eastbound

PunkiC

Live from the Island Princess--Panama Canal Eastbound--Day 15 At Sea—The Last Day

I am being very pokey this morning so DH went off to the cooking demonstration by himself. I was supposed to join him and go with him on the kitchen tour, but I never did find him. As I was going through the kitchen, the Food Director whom I had met at the M&G, told me that DH had already gone through.

The cooking demo was very nice and the Maitre’d Rui Pereira is very funny. He is an outrageous flirt but can get away with it in that smooth manner that some Latin men have. Of course, I am sure he gets lots of practice.  The kitchen tours are always interesting so be sure and take it if you ever get a chance. The kitchen is crazy clean—I guess they steam clean the whole place every night. They sure do produce an amazing amount of food. Does anybody know any good books that give great insight into how cruise ships operate behind the scenes?

Since we skipped breakfast, we were happy to get up to the Horizon Court for lunch. Today they had a Mediterranean buffet and I had some very tasty spaghetti in olive oil with peppers, parsley and parmesan. Yummy! DH had a little bit of almost everything, including octopus. I don’t eat octopus but he eats everything.

After lunch we attended a Navigation @ Sea presentation which was kind of interesting but the presenter’s accent was so strong that about half of the time I had no idea what he was saying. I really wish the officers who did any kind of presentation, even the bridge reports spoke English clearly enough that they could be understood. I am generally extremely good at understanding accents, so if I don’t understand, almost nobody understands.

I ran our account balances and found that we had over $250 left on our account so I decided to get $200 cash and just leave enough to play Bingo and pay the corkage fee on the wine we will be taking to dinner tonight. I also grabbed a bunch of comment cards which I will fill out tonight.

Again this afternoon, we had overlaps on things we really wanted to do. There was ballroom dancing in the Wheel House at 3:00 p.m. as well as our private wine tasting. We decided to go to the private wine tasting and dance later in the evening. The deal with the wine tasting was that we would each bring a bottle that we bought in a port. We were very brave and decided to buy wine in Nicaragua and took it to the tasting and it was quite awful. Think about a cross between cherry Kool Aide and cough syrup. Now you know why there isn’t a huge market for wines from Nicaragua.

I left the wine tasting early and went down to Bingo. Typically I don’t play Bingo, but what the heck, I may as well try various cruise experiences. It was fun, but I didn’t win the $1,700 jackpot. I probably won’t play again unless I get more free money or sail with somebody who is really into Bingo.

During the Disembarkation Talk they mentioned that the port is heavily unionized and that you had to be able to handle you own luggage all by yourself, which is not an issue for us, but Florida is a right-to-work state so it shouldn’t be an issue. I wonder if they were confused with California which really can be a union nightmare.

Having missed a siesta, my body demanded a little rest about 5:00 while DH had this wild idea that he needed to pack right then. I have this down to a fine science and can pack my stuff into the big checked bag in about 10 minutes, so I decided to rest and was so tired that the idea of dinner was the farthest thing from my mind. Although we had pretty much decided to just eat in the Horizon Court, we went down to the Bordeaux to see if it was still possible to hook up with a large sharing table at almost 8:00 p.m. and it was so we ate down there with another nice bunch of folks. Interestingly, we really didn’t have any duds on this trip. I think it is because it is a longer trip.

Well, I might have to take that back. There was one lady at the reception desk at dinner who was screaming at the poor hostess about something and demanding to see the maitre’d. I am sure that neither the hostess nor the head waiter, who had come over to help out, had any idea what she was talking about. I sure didn’t. How could anybody be that unhappy on a cruise? As we left the dining room, I got two cheek kisses from the Latin Lothario maitre’d. He is a kick.

We finished off the evening with three dances in The Wheelhouse—a tango, a waltz and a foxtrot. DH bought the band members a drink and then we came up to our cabin and finished packing. It did only take me about 10 minutes, but the bad ended up 6 pounds overweight. We will have to do some shuffling before we check in with the airline in a few days. We still have more Florida adventures before that happens.

Tomorrow is disembarkation.

P.S. The Captain said the first time he went through was on the Coral, which is an identical sister ship.

Silverbird, I just buy the dresses at the street vendors. There are lots of them and you just need to shop around for the style and color you want. I wear a lot of purple, so I bought several purple and one olive. They are soooooooooooo cool and comfy.

During the Disembarkation Talk they mentioned that the port is heavily unionized and that you had to be able to handle you own luggage all by yourself, which is not an issue for us, but Florida is a right-to-work state so it shouldn’t be an issue.

Not sure what the point was they were trying to make.

If you self-disembark, you must handle your own luggage at least until you get to the point in the terminal where a porter can assist.

If you have regular disembarkation you find your luggage on shore and again just have to handle it until a porter is there to assist.

Unions have nothing to do with it.

Punki,

Thank you so much for your daily posts. I've totally enjoyed reading every one of them, i'm sure i'll have withdrawal symptoms for the next few days :)

We do the same cruise in October so you gave us a lot of insight into the ports & especially what you can do in them without having to go on offical tours

I've definitely learnt more about what goes on on the ship too, (for instance, the "patter" channel was a revelation) and the questions I had about Anytime Dining have all been answered.

Wishing you both a lovely post cruise break in FLL and a safe journey home

Once again, a great big huge thanks :D

I think the point he was trying to make, caribill, is that Princess crew can't help you, which is certainly true in union town.

I once had an employee in Seattle who worked the Princess docks on the weekend as a greeter. One day an old man fell in the terminal and she ran to help him up and then helped him pull his carry-on and was severely reprimanded by a union guy. So what you are calling a porter in a union state, has to be a union porter.

In a right-to-work state, however, like Florida, the law forbids union membership requirements for any job. I owned a company that designed and produced trade show exhibits and became very familiar with the union laws in various states around the country.

Of course, it's possible that ports have special deals, but I am not familiar with them, never having worked ports--just conventions centers. :)

PunkiC,

Thanks for the "Live" review. I love reading these "Live" threads as I live vicariously through you. Hopefully, I'll get to experience a Coral-class ship soon.

My parents are getting on the IP today and taking her all the way to Anchorage. I'm sure they'll have a great time as well.

Great thread! I am on this trip in late September, so the timing was perfect. Thanks for taking the time to report as you go, I know its a lot of work.

We are lucky to have yourself, Pia, CCrain and others here to take us along.

Mark

We had late disembarkation so we sat up in the Horizon Court, and filled out comment cards after we had breakfast. I love filling out comment cards.

There was no disembarktion line at all by the time we left the ship. There was a bit of a customs line, but right as we were walking in, they waved us into the special access line. Probably because I had my cane. I don't need it often, but I always take it when I travel in the event that I get stuck having to stand for a long time or walk a long distance. Standing is much harder for me than skiing or dancing. Go figure.

After we picked up our rental car, we drove down to Trader Joe's in Miami and picked up some special purchase wines and then continued down to Key West where we have a big suite with a fancy hot tub at the Marriott.

It is a very long drive, but Key West is a place we have always wanted to visit, so it is worth it.

We take off on another cruise on the 9th from Vancouver to SFO and I will post another Live Report.

Adios!

Edited by PunkiC

Thank you so much for your live from. I loved reading it. Some live from threads are pretty mundane. Yours was entertaining and informative. Also, this comment you posted is just what I love on a sea day:

As our cruise winds to an end, we will enjoy two more days at sea and today the sea is exactly the way I love it—moderate seas with lots of white caps, healthy waves breaking along the bow, and the perfect mixture of fluffy clouds and sunshine.

Here are a couple of pics from your day in the Canal from a different perspective. The first is of the IP in Limon Bay with Cristobal/Colon on your starboard side, approaching the Cristobal Breakwater. The second is as you are passing through the breakwater, leaving the Canal into the Caribbean. Saw you passing my hotel in the morning as you were approaching the Bridge of Americas... took the camera out of the A/C, the lens was all fog and would not clear in time. Pictures taken from the Vision of the Seas sailing from Colon.

mt32a0.jpg

2cq1d0k.jpg

I love your pictures. :):):)

I'm also on the September Panama Canal cruise from Vancouver & San Francisco and want to thank you for posting your blog. It's been very interesting and for all of us on the September cruise we now have a good idea of what our cruise will be like. I'm also planning to write a blog and hope that I can make mine interesting like yours was.

I understand your frustration with the internet connection.

Again...Thanks!

Tom in San Francisco:)

My wife and I, and my Mother were along on this cruise. My Mom was the lady with the Easter Bunny Ears on Easter.

Can someone please tell me how to post pictures here and hopefully I will get some on.

Aloha, Tim

Punki, it was great getting to know you and Joe on our Panama transit. Just returned home and I wanted to read your blog as I knew it would be entertaining, even though we were also on this cruise. And, thanks for your help in the Meet and Greet. You did an outstanding job running the Gift Exchange and also moderating a discussion on OBC's.

The wine tastings were fun in our room even though the Nicarauga wine was somewhat around miserable :). But, you were really the only one of us that fulfilled the mission; which was to find a local wine at one of the ports. All the rest of us could only find Chilean wines.

Hope to see you both again on a future cruise.

Doug

Thanks, Doug, for everything, especially getting ou so many officers for the Meet & Greet (I have never seen so many) and for hosting the wine tastings. Generally speaking the folks on this cruise were all very friendly and interesting. I think we only ran into one unhappy person and she was so angry it wa amusing.

We still eyed to open the Costa Rico wine and will let you know how it is. It can't possibly be as bad as the Nicaraguan wine, at least I don't think so. ;)

Sadly I caught a cold in Key West and have been miserable all day. We just checked into the Waldorf Astoria in Boca Raton and it is lovely. I just wish I felt well enough to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I traveling on the September 27th cruise from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale through the canal.

What was customs like? Any problems?

I've booked an 10:30 am flight back to SF and am hoping that it is not too early.

Anybody know how early the shuttles started?

Thanks for your information!!!

Tom :)

I traveling on the September 27th cruise from San Francisco to Fort Lauderdale through the canal.

I've booked an 10:30 am flight back to SF and am hoping that it is not too early.

I can't tell you if you will make your flight. However, to have a chance, you must do walk-off with your luggage and then take a taxi. It will be cheaper than Princess transfers and the Princess shuttles may not start early enough for you.

IF Cruise TT is correct, you will be the only princess ship in Port Everglades on the 12th and the only other ship in port that day will be the Vision of the Seas. Immigration/Customs shouldn't be too bad.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by IECalCruiser

Tom, you do not want a Princess shuttle. Opt for self disembarkation which is at 7:30 and no matter what immigration is like, it won't be a problem that early. Taxis will be outside, you will get to the airport without stress and save money too.